Texans fire HC Lovie Smith

If Texans fired Lovie for winning a game doesn’t that add fuel to the Flores lawsuit.

I think most black people expected Smith to only last a year when he was hired considering the circumstances. Flores filed a discrimination lawsuit and the Texans were set to hire a coach with no NFL coaching experience so Lovie was a token hire

Now that the Colts had a little success with their unconventional hire, the Texans can now make theirs.

Maybe… But getting fired on the same day after game day was pretty telling from the owner.

My man wasn’t even given time to get off the plane lol.

I don’t really follow NFL. Is winning the last game really that bad based on one pick slot? Is the #1 pick historically that much better than the #2? Does 1 player slot make that huge of a difference on a full roster.

The #1 pick would mean Stroud or Young, pick one. #2 means you get the one not picked first.

The Texans will likely trade the pick for more lower picks. When you need so much, no one player will make the difference. The Jags nearly killed Trevor Lawrence last year and the first half of this year.

1 Like

I guess it depends on if they wanted BY over Stroud that badly.

1 Like

Hopefully, there’s not a huge drop-off in quality between the #1 and #2 choices at quarterback in the 2023 NFL Draft. The authors of this Top 10 2023 QB list over at Pro Football Network say, “It’s still very close between the two passers at the top.”

Incidentally, look who’s at #10!:

10) Clayton Tune, Houston

If you’re forced to choose a QB from the 2023 NFL Draft who goes from Day 3 pick to eventual NFL starter, make Clayton Tune your choice. He’s quietly one of the most intriguing passers in a class that’s starting to become starved for depth with players returning.

Tune has been lights out for Houston over the past two seasons — not only statistically but in specific situational moments as well. He’s a clutch, exceedingly confident QB who has a gunslinger’s mentality when faced with risks — and he has enough athleticism and arm talent to make things happen.

Link: Top 10 Quarterbacks in the 2023 NFL Draft: Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson Boast Great Upside

I don’t think the Bears take a QB. So we still might have the choice between Yound and Stroud. The risk is if Chicago trades out of #1 to a team like Indy who will take a QB.

It’s an inexact science, picking a QB. Brock Purdy looks like a 5-year pro. Maybe he won’t be like Josh Allen, but zero scouts and NFL front offices saw him as a viable starter. Same with Brady, of course, the GOAT unicorn lower-round value pick.

Picking a QB with a #1 or #2 pick is tempting, like that pastry in the case you know is probably not gonna give you more than a few minutes joy. Watson was the #12 pick. He didn’t work out, but not because he sucks at QB.

1 Like

If I was in charge of the Texans draft, I don’t know if I take QB. There are so many holes in this roster (including QB). I believe in building from the inside out. Yes, a new QB will probably sell tickets and generate more excitement, but a QB means nothing if you can’t protect him or have a defense to get the ball back for him via 3 and out or turnover. Building that foundation takes longer, but I think it helps having long term success.

2 Likes

Young is talented but small

Stroud is very flawed.

May be better to take a big time defensive lineman at 2 and pick a QB at 12.

2 Likes

I agree. It is said there is no more valuable player on an nfl roster than a great qb on a rookie contract. First you have to build the team around them to take advantage of that. Drafting a qb to start a rebuild may buy you a few more wins per season, but could ruin that qb and push the rebuild back years.

I guess if they do that, they would take Levis at 12?

Deciding Will Levis is their QB of the Future would be the most Texans thing the Texans have ever done.

1 Like

Can anything ever out-Texan giving away Hopkins, though?

4 Likes

I mean, there was Ed Reed. And Ahman Green.

7 Likes

Yes I do, actually.

He will be fine. People said the same thing about Lamar Jackson. I don’t know how many times people have to look stupid before admitting they were wrong.

Fields did not start the season and is still learning the offense. They had a different coach last year and a different offensive system. They will have an entire offseason to make any changes to the system.

I am sure every single player and coach in the Jets locker room would take Fields over Wilson right now. Although I am sure you would rather have Wilson and his resting b**** face on the sidelines.

1 Like

Mr Wilson never came up in the orig convo. Not sure why he came up. We’ll choose to disagree on Mr Fileds. I rather end it there bc you can get going if someone disagrees w you. Yikes.

Ok bye.