Texas Monthly: "Losing Our Religion: Texas’s College Football Identity Crisis"

late 60s isnt 1965 Who cares who Kentucky had in 1968 or 1969? I was AT the UH-Kentucky game in 1965…There were NO black players for Kentucky…Houston had Warren McVea…
and Missouri isnt the SOUTH!!

1 Like

[quote=“Truth, post:37, topic:29706, full:true”]
North Texas integrated football in Texas in 1957 with Abner Haynes and Leon King. CBY & CGL recruited blacks because they wanted to win, not so much about being noble.

Longtime friend Abner Haynes told me some Jim Crow stories that would curl your hair (that is, if your hair is straight). He & Leon King actually enrolled as students at North Texas in 1956
••• Dallas Texans/KC Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt called Abner Haynes “the 1’st superstar of the American Football League.” (He just had a problem with overtime coin tosses, right fellow Oiler fans)? :laughing:

One story Abner told me took place in Houston the night before UH & NT would tee it up for a day game. North Texas had taken a train from Denton to the Bayou City & the train would park near the hotel.
Haynes & Leon King were then told by management that they could not stay in the hotel due to their skin color.
Well…long story short— all the white NT players got pissed with hotel management & proceeded to tell their coaches they would all stay overnight in the train with their 2 teammates (which they did).

:musical_note: FYI: Abner Haynes is related to Denton native Sly Stone (of Sly & the Family Stone & Woodstock Fame).

••• Just like the Mean Joe Greene statue on Apogee’s west side, there is a serious move to have a statue of Texas integration pioneer, Texas Sports Hall of Fame member one Abner Haynes to be located (most likely) on the Student Side of Apogee Stadium.

4 Likes

The winner played in the Cotton Bowl. One of four bowls worth playing in. So even if there were no beauty pageant titles, they automatically gained respect by playing in the Cotton. The SWC should have absorbed the BIG8. Much larger markets.

1 Like