Texas Tech

From what I have read and seen, Tech came in to big12 media days with some swagger. Coach has that fan base pumped and these new facility upgrades has the fan base thinking they’re a different breed now. I think this will be a great rivalry for us in the Big12. Football and Basketball games are going to be electric between both programs.

4 Likes

I guess we’ll quit once there are 72 teams in the SEC, and 52 teams in the big 10… i find it disturbing that these teams have no faith in remaining in the big 12. Pedigree is built, look at what the American Conference achieved in just a single decade.

2 Likes

What it achieved is mostly departing for the Big 12 next year.

2 Likes

I agree, just waiting for the dust to settle. This offseason’s rumor mill is out of control

Maybe UH should forfeit right now?

The 2nd best school at doing the least with the most. Only the cows are better at it.

1 Like

McGuire will have to sell TT like P.T. Barnam AND win games. That will be a tall order.

I don’t get why Techs big investment gets more traction on a UH board than our own big investment . It’s almost like we are doing a 150,000 upgrade to their 200 million .

1 Like

I think he’s up to it. Like Briles, he took a historically bad program and turned them into champions.

Then he joined Ruhle at Baylor and stayed with Aranda. Two good coaches to gain experience from.

Honestly wish someone crazy with money would just buy all the land and property they could in the 3rd and give UH more land.

Sell it to who? Their fans? They actually fill their stadium. Also, we haven’t beaten them since 2009. If we can’t beat Tech (Hopefully we get that done this season) we’re the ones that need to worry about winning games in the Big 12.

6 Likes

UH has enough land - problem is you don’t have enough bodies (young families) in the area cause the landlords have been bought out or not affordable to build a suburban-style middle class development

every private development/new road takes homes away -

folks talk about the “good ol’ days” but it was partly due to the area being walkable and close enough for college/casual sports fans to go and watch a game

Plus HISD was at its peak athletically so if a local star came to UH from the area they immediately brought a following

You guys are proving my point: Sons and Daughters of UH grads have very little interest in WANTING to become a Legacy and attend the University of Houston.

They look to other options first…this is a big problem in us creating a legacy/generational type of University.

Lubbock vs Houston: that “should” be a no-brainer

2 Likes

Mine too in Engineering.

There has always been a perception that going far is better cause it sounds good even though the town may be a dump - at the end of the day an education degree is the same as anywhere as all first year teachers make the same off a scale but it’s perception

UH to someone in Dallas or a small town means more than UH to a Houstonian

Some kids just want to say they flunked our partying on 6th street or whatever local district in that small town - what’s the equivalent at UH?

Having too many satellite campuses in the suburbs (where your base comes from) somewhat devalues your main brand cause your basically creating a true commuter student from the jump

1 Like

Same here, got his EE

1 Like

I’m doing my part. I’m an old guy with a BSEE from 1986. My son graduated from UH also with a BSEE in 2020. My daughter will be a senior at UH in the fall, also an EE. Go Coogs.

11 Likes

Way to go ! Talk about a legacy !
Go Coogs !

1 Like

We are creating the legacy type of pro spirit students that we need to be mentioned with the likes of the loyal bluebloods…we are just watching them go to UT, TT, Baylor, TAMU, LSU, Arkansas, etc.

Imagine if we kept more of those legacies here at the University of Houston and they contributed in making it a top College Experience type of University.

Again…im not talking about MAKING sons and daughters go to UH because their parent did…I’m talking about creating a University where they would WANT to be a contributing legacy…just like the legacies that CHOSE to attend the schools listed above.

I also wonder how many UH alums WANT their children to attend another University to have a better College Experience…that is a big problem right there.

Hopefully, the uptick in enrollment applications will help but we really need to re-develop the Third Ward to support our University.

Most colleges have a lively district adjacent to the campus. Even tiny Rice has the Rice Village!

We have nothing and that NEEDS to change sooner, than later.

2 Likes

The 3rd ward has been and is still being redeveloped. It is going to take some time but slowly it is coming along with housing projects, getting rid of the dilapidated homes and park renovations.

1 Like