The city’s first career/technical Catholic High School

Never heard of this before!

https://www.archgh.org/news-events/news/texas-catholic-herald/texas-catholic-herald-news/texas-catholic-herald/texas-first-catholic-career-technical-high-school-hosts-open-house-event-feb-17/?fbclid=IwAR2BmWDhINFxTQumhTppHGkdWxdJ1MX2TChXt-aqv9xUD-INARoPFJReZuk_aem_ASh4wH83xSe2MKxWg5z1kEYvlwKJwsH2h6z8C1lEZnyWeqMoQDSZB5yCHUdCTA9lYUU

1 Like

That’s great. I guess they closed the St. Peter’s elementary school? My kids used to play them in sports when they were at St. Vincent de Paul. It was a total throw back mid century facility. It was like going back in time to when I was in elementary.

So it seems.

When I went to their parish website, and clicked on Parish School, it listed only St. Peter HS.

Looking at this building on youtube:

Is this the same building as the old K-8 school, or is it an entirely new building?

Ah, watching the video, it says that they did indeed close the elementary school.

Pity.

But the building is going to be renovated and repurposed into a Technical High School.

I just came back from St. Peter’s ribbon cutting. They have done a good job renovating it and will be a great opportunity for students who want a career in tech fields. Besides a new court, the gym still has that old gym feel. The rest of the school looks to be entirely redone.

The Archdiocese closed/merged a decent number of schools from Harvey and Covid. Some schools were Pre-K - 8 and had less than 100 kids. Where they closed schools there was still a school relatively close by a child could move to.

1 Like

Interesting. Thanks!

Will this school be offering an athletic program of any kind?

I’ve noticed construction going on for a while there at St Peters, and someone told me they closed the school there.

Good to know what they’re doing.

Never say never, but I don’t think they are planning on it. I’ve never heard discussion about it, but I’m on the healthcare side of things when it comes to underserved Catholic schools. The school has 10 freshman only this year. It will grow as it becomes more known and finally grows to have a senior class.

1 Like

We need more emphasis on vocational schools. Not everyone is going to go to a 4 year college and with out any vocational/trade training they come out of HS with few prospects.

2 Likes

Speaking of Lent…

They tried to market to increase enrollment but never could tap into a new market of folks which led to the closure unfortunately

School is caught in an area where the old guard has moved on and the new guard is basically just living in the area but still doing everything across 288

1 Like