The Game Day Experience (not the game)

Thanks for sharing. Im glad it sounds like you overall had a good time (results not withstanding). I brought my brother in law to the game who is a penn state alum. He had some interesting thoughts. He was not expecting a big crowd, or a big tailgating experience. He just kind of said im sure as you guys win more that part will take care of itself. We got to the gate early so it wasnt an issue for us, but he was shocked at how painful the getting into the stadium process is. That line gets so backed up on the northeast side. Other than that though he had a blast. @WarriorCoog hooked us up with some great seats, he was blown away by the quality of the concessions, and he thought that the stadium was really unique and a nice change of pace from the old school brick everyone else has. Overall we both had a blast even with the rain.
I do agree. The pregame experience could be significantly upgraded by making it easier to tailgate and investing some more time and resources into that. But in general, I think the biggest thing that will improve game day atmosphere is winning. All we can do as fans is keep showing up bring friends buy tickets and most importantly remember to enjoy it. Even when it doesn’t always go our way

7 Likes

When are they going to finish Cullen it feels like it has been under construction for over 2 years.

Also seemed like they always have scanner issues reading off phone.

1 Like

The scanner is slow.

I like our stadium. Now we could have went with a brick facade then no air flow then our fans would say it’s too hot. Our stadium is perfect , looks good and is good for how hot it is here early on.

3 Likes

I just moved back to Houston. I was a season ticket holder for several years at Robertson (attending almost every home game from '00 to '11). I have been a diehard Coog for over 20 years. I agree with the OP comments.

I was a hardcore tailgater at Robertson. I was with my two boys on Saturday so we walked around the stadium and just went in. I dont see myself having a Robertson tailgating experience at this stadium.

I didn’t see a very good beer selection in the stadium. Maybe yall can tell me where the good beer is at inside.

As to the stadium itself:
I love the open concourse and the breeze. That part is AWESOME!!!

A surprising positive is the number of bathrooms. An excessive amount for this Saturday. That was pretty wild, but will be great when we get a full crowd.

Let me preface by saying that I’m a big Dana fan and a fan of this team. I know the talent is there, and I will stick with them. I was there for 0-11. The entire school has come a very long way and I am blown away by that.

I really enjoyed being able to see the band march to the stadium and enter through the tunnel. Wish they had played on their way in. It was a highlight for the boys and I.

The sound system seems very nice, but the volume and sound distribution seemed very inconsistent. Almoat like they were testing it out. That was strange.

I don’t desire to be critical, but honest. The stadium itself doesn’t have much character. Robertson, while small, had charm. It could just be my nostalgia. I have been to a number of college stadiums big and small. The closest thing I could relate the feel of watching the game inside the stadium is watching the high school playoffs at Legacy Stadium in Katy. Legacy Stadium is a nice stadium. But the look inside from my seat seemed similar, and the vibe a little sterile. I expect the feeling would be quite different with a packed house. But even Roberston when it was half-full was very lively (even rowdy on the East side).

I look forward to attending again and hopefully seeing the pageantry and enthusiasm I anticipate may have been hampered by the rain.

I’m very thankful for the advancement iver the last 20 years and all the potential I see on the field, with the stadium, and in the Big 12.

4 Likes

How did you hookup TV? Looks like a battery? Asking because I want to try this!

This is when I endorse cancel culture.

Also as small as this sounds my brother really liked the huge water stations. He finished his water bottle and after the rain it was so humid we were dying. I took our bottles and refilled them and he was amazed that they have free cold water that is easily accessible. Obviously its hose water, but if you’re picky then pay. Having a real free option is great. Most stadiums have a few rusty water fountains and half dont work.

Small 250wh battery generator from amazon. Cost $120 I think. I plugged the TV into the AC outlet and firestick into a USB. Had 25% battery left after 2 1/2 hours. I was pretty happy. Used my phone as a hotspot for streaming.

3 Likes

I agree the water stations were a thoughtful and welcome feature.

1 Like

I like those a lot, but they forgot the ice in the one I went to Saturday. They have been nice since the stadium opened though.

What I bought.

1 Like

This is an example of the administration listening to the customers. When TDECU first opened, we had to buy expensive bottled water.

Now that those big water coolers are there, I wonder if anyone is tasked to clean the inside.

Agree with the exterior of TDECU, the tiling is ugly and it doesn’t look like a stadium, looks like a George r brown convention center, from the side.

I was hoping the 2023 football operations building would make a structure to make it look more like a stadium, but it’s only going to a corner spot, blocking downtown.

Was hoping something like Baylor’s new stadium but obviously we didn’t have the budget they have but at least could’ve made exterior more of a stadium

Or someday hopefully a shade structure cover for rain, sorta like what Baylor has too

I bet you didn’t know this, but those red dashes are the fight song in brail.

5 Likes

The two men’s restrooms I went into on the visitor’s side are looking like the restrooms in “The Rob.” Standing F’ing water on the floors. Pretty disgusting to have to walk through.

1 Like

Hey man. It’s the retro look.

No, the red dashes light up in case we have a close encounter of the third kind. We will be able to communicate with Aliens. So they can take away Dana.

1 Like

They want air to go into the stadium so it’s cooler which is why they didn’t seal it off with brick or metal so no choice if you want air flow and the air flow is nice.

1 Like

Rock and brick blocks breeze. Remember how miserable BVD stadium was. TDECU with it’s perforated skin allows breeze to blow through out the stadium and has a clean, modern, and unique look.

5 Likes