The Matt Thomas Show

My wife teaches a college prep class at a suburban HS. One of the things that the kids need to do early in the program is list 3 universities (Reach, Goal, & Safety) and compare their SAT/ACT/GPA to see how realistic their idea of college applications will be.

She has at least one student in every class that starts their research with something like the following:
“My Reach school is Harvard, my Goal school is UT, and if I don’t get into UT then my Safety school is UH until I can get into somewhere else.”

This is great because when the students start to research their options, they get to find out that UH is pretty close to UT with the admission standards and they may not be able to get into either school unless they work really hard the rest of their HS time to boost their grades and test scores. My wife says it is a really humbling experience for the kids to find out that UH will not work as a “safety” school because it has a really high expectation of their applicants. Around the midway point of the project, the entire class gets to see the admission requirements and acceptance rates of all the universities that the class selects on a projector. All 25-30 students in the class get to see that their idea of UH needs an update. They also get a better appreciation of the entire college landscape because there are so many schools that are researched within one class. The University of Houston is normally around the top 25-35% in the group of universities that are brought forward from the class which is a great acknowledgment of the academic growth that Dr. Khator has worked so hard to improve.

18 Likes

That was extremely informative, Randy. Thanks!

1 Like

I haven’t listened to local sports radio in years. It was essentially Texans, more Texans with a splash of “Heh heh girls have boobs”. Tuned out all sports talk eventually.

Recently I have been listening more and more to ESPNU on Sirius XM. The callers are very P5-centric, but most of the hosts are very well informed (sometimes even complementary) of the entire college sports landscape. I recommend giving it a try.

Since the Big 12 schedule release is something that UH fans have waited a long time for and is therefore something to be celebrated and a positive moment, I would recommend not tuning into this show during that time. Ross will most assuredly make sure to crap all over it and make it as unpleasant as he can for Coog fans.

2 Likes

Well he is having Duarte on at 2:00 to discuss all thgs Houston Coogs. I will prob tune n give a listen during JD time.

1 Like

This d-bag is a literal T-shirt fan.

Not even a grad.

6 Likes

You do know that everything on radio and commercial television is ratings driven. Everything.

1 Like

Correct. It’s not the radio stations/shows fault that most people of this town are enamored with what goes down on Kirby Dr everyday.

When I think of Texans fan, I think of that movie ‘Don’t Look Up’ where 95% of the people don’t want to believe the planet is about to be destroyed so they don’t look at the asteroid in the sky. They’d rather ignore the awesome things our basketball team is doing and continue discussing Rockets and Texans being a dumpster fire.

It’s about the money, their private enterprises who buy advertising, public schools and private hardly if ever do. That’s how the wood is chopped

I have not listen to that guy in years. Either here, Dave Campbell texas football, or 97.5

Yeah, I have started listening to Jeremy Branham on 97.5 in the lunch hour.

1 Like

Matt Thomas show was way better when he was a single host. I’m not offended by Ross but I enjoyed the show way better with him being the producer. He didn’t graduate from ut but he reps them, which is fine, a lot of people do that for Uh too. Their on air personas are just a comedy skit. Without the help of MT Ross would just still be a producer on 790.

It’s not a comedy skit. They go back and forth but Ross genuinely hates UH. He truly epitomizes the stereotypical arrogant cow college fan.

3 Likes

His boss is Matt Thomas. I remember when mt came back to Houston radio. Ross was his producer. They had chemistry. Do you really think MT would agree to elevate Ross from producer to cohost if the verbiage talking was legit? It’s banter.

1 Like

It’s legit. Ross is talented at his job as a sports talkshow host. That is why he is a cohost. The ut arrogance is legit though.

You must of not been an og listener of MT’s show then. The first time Ross had to step in was terrible. If I remember correctly MT was on site and there was a connection issue and ross had to kill time. You wouldn’t be saying he’s talented at his job If you heard him then. It was awkward af. But yeah he’s improved cause mt has taken him under his wing. It’s all banter between them. Do you think wrestling rivalries are real too?

Hahaha you must not listen to the show a lot.

1 Like

So Wrasslin rivalries are legit.

Yeah man, you didn’t know?? Kane, and stone cold and the rock guy!!!

I can’t believe Kane and the Undertaker (as “brothers”) both became pro wrestlers considering their background. They hated each other. Almost like it was faked for entertainment.