The Matt Thomas Show

Show is a bit too corny. And neither of them is really in the know. Some of their takes on baseball are so bad. They’re saying stuff that’s literally wrong and those answers were available if they’d just read. The worst is when a guest is on the air. You can tell there’s no preparation. Questions are bad.

1 Like

Fair point; this is the case with many sports shows, which are – let’s face it – highly opinionated anyway. As long as there’s a fair balance of different opinions, that’s okay.

Its simple…I’m guessing their parents were the “non-typical” college student whereas their children are the “typical college student” and they do NOT have UH on their list.

The day we get those "typical college students " to want to select the University of Houston among as their top choice is the day we will have arrived as a destination university.

Yes, we are getting better but we still have a long way to go.

What is a “typical college student” to you? I would consider myself a “typical college student”. I graduated within the top 25 students in my class and could’ve gone pretty much anywhere and would’ve gotten a decent amount of money to attend too. I didn’t bother applying anywhere other than UH. It’s always been the destination for me. I think you guys will begin to see I’m not so different than a lot of my fellow peers who are at, and will soon be at the university.

6 Likes

I have listened to it everyday for years as well and have enjoyed the show. I agree with Balancingmist, in that it’s probably the most entertaining in town. I understand their back and forth banter and have always brushed it off as whatever but what I was pointing out was that it seems like he has tried to make it personal recently. Maybe it’s because of how bad UT is. I don’t even care if they bring up UH on there or not. But it seems like any mention of UH that Matt brings up, Ross shi#s on it. As if mentioning UH on a Houston Sports show should not be allowed. That shi# is getting old.

3 Likes

I’ve listen to Matt back in the day. Use to refer to UH as Harvard on the Gulf Coast. He loves UH that’s the sense I’ve gotten from him

2 Likes

I know he loves UH and is a big Coog fan. I don’t deny that. Ross, is getting on my nerves though. Which sucks because other than his UH hate, I like his sports takes.

1 Like

Yes…thats why you are on a UH fan forum.

I was a typical college student also…I selected UH over UT. And I met the UT dean during my visit . And like you, I bleed Cougar Red…what percentage of your UH graduating class can you say is very supportive of their alma mater?

I don’t listen every day, so I can’t agree or disagree with what you are saying. Do you have any specific examples?

Most people matriculate and go on to live their lives. At most universities. That’s ok
It’s the business community along with more enlightened supporters alum and non- alum understand the importance of having and creating a great center of learning. To the overall success of a civilization, a society, a city a state. UH motto "In Tempore"is apropo.

Since I haven’t graduated yet, I can’t give you an exact percentage… but what I can tell you is I interact with a numerous amount of people daily that love and support this university with a passion… I can tell you that there are a ton of kids that haven’t even graduated high school that can’t wait to step foot on campus.

6 Likes

Yes…it is heading in the right direction as compared to when many of us went there.

1 Like

I do like your attitude and energy level for UH. We old Coogs that have seen so much over the years are quite pleased with our progress from when it was our time at UH. You have a lot of exciting years ahead of you as a UH Coog. I envy you for what you will see and experience long after some of us are gone.

The campus now is beyond words for me compared to 1972 when I first stepped foot in the Admin Bldg to pay my $90 tuition for my first semester… Cash or check only.

My favorite line on Monday after Ross started bagging on UH:

“You’re not even the best University of Texas team”

2 Likes

When I started at UH Agnes Arnold was the newest building on campus.

I’ve been listening to MT for over 10 yrs. You have to understand the friendly sarcastic banter they have towards one another. Ross loves hating on Matt (jokingly) and so Ross knows UH is Matt’s weak spot. It’s all fun and games and theyre show is VERY Enjoyable and funny to listen to. My favorite sports show really.

3 Likes

I took Math for Scientists and Engineers I & II in that building. Two of the most difficult classes I ever took. Manipulating imaginary numbers was a hard concept.

A very good friend attended UH in the 60’s. Was actually in the news room when the JFK assassination came over the ticker. He would tell me how much campus has improved in his lifetime.

I graduated in 2013, go back for sporting events multiple times a year, and still can’t believe how much it has changed.

How is he a great Coog?

Matt got his start with Dan Patrick. He used to own KSEV radio (don’t know if he still does) He was the call screener. I used to call the show this was back in the late 80’s I believe. Dan Patrick was a pioneer for sports radio. The KSEV sports line up was the best I heard nationwide.
Then about 10 years ago or so I used to listen to his show via the internet. What immediately struck me was the completely different tone while interviewing a UH coach vs the great satan, atm, teetech and other coaches. He left me with the impression that he was talking about us like a middle school team vs pro teams. The “contrast” had nothing to do with humor. Then came Case and his attempt at getting into the NFL. right from the get go he said he had absolutely no chance, even when he got in with the Texans he kept bashing him. He went along with the anti UH message at the station that he was at. I have not listened since.

3 Likes

He is the only one that actually brings up Coog related stuff on his segment. Every other radio show will only bring up UH during NCAA tournament times or when the football team gets ranked and plays a big game.