The Most Offensive Team Nicknames in Every Sport

Ole miss rebels?

Problematic.

My own high school dropped the ā€œRebelsā€ mascot for that reason.

They are now the ā€œMavericksā€ instead.

Less issue with a college. The high schools are problematic because a lot were named after confederate leaders because of the end of segregation and the civil rights movement. Plus students canā€™t just decide to go somewhere else. Anybody who goes to Ole Miss is making that choice.

I have a record made by the UH Concert Band called ā€œCampus Songs of the Southwestā€ and Arlington St. College (now UT-Arlington) was the ā€œRebelsā€ back then and their fight song was Dixie.

The title of this thread is offensive. I am offended.
This has no ends.
Just FYI for all of the pro woke culture or the woke woke.
Reservation is not the right word when you enter a Native Nation.
How road, highways, freeways signs should be changed?

The Texans are an incompetent embarrassment of an organization. As a Texan Iā€™m offended that I am represented by such an embarrassment.

5 Likes

Why would they?

It doesnā€™t offend me that they are the rebels but Iā€™m surprised no one went after them for the nickname yet. They did remove the confederate flag from the capital and banned it at games as I recall.

None of the nicknames offend me and think they should all stay as part of history.

1 Like

I went to rockport - Fultonā€¦ played robstown in district play my whole lifeā€¦ good baseball players, predominantly Mexican of courseā€¦ they were cotton farmersā€¦ I remember when Twitter tried to cancel them over it haha

I played in football against the Robstown Cottonpickers in 1967. They beat us at home and went on to state. They were tough and I have always respected them Gene Upshaw spoke at our 1969 annual football banquet. He was great-at the time a 1st round draft pick of the Oakland Raiders coming out of Texas A&I.

so true

I realize this thread died days ago but this morning my wife and I were discussing team names and I mentioned the Nads. She looked at me rather curiously and said ā€œdoes that mean when they cheer the team they yell Go Nads?ā€

I thought it was worth revisiting

2 Likes