The Most Offensive Team Nicknames in Every Sport

disengendered males

But there is an Idaho Vandals

I was never a cotton picker but I did sack groceries as a kid!

Not true:
Notre Dame was founded by French Catholic priests. This is why the University is called Notre Dame. Some of you might know the Congregation of Holly Cross.

In fact the only Irish connection to Notre Dame is that one of their president was of Irish decent. Everything else is pure fantasy. There is nothing Irish about Notre Dame.

People also ask

How did Notre Dame get the nickname the Fighting Irish?

Image result for notre dame and the irish nickname

‘Fighting Irish’ beginnings

At one football game in 1899, Northwestern students chanted “Kill the fighting Irish," Notre Dame said. 
 The Fighting Irish nickname was made official in 1927 when university president Father Matthew Walsh, of Irish descent , adopted the name.Aug 23, 2021

It was indeed, BUT, one of its Founding Presidents together with a few other of its founding Holy Cross priests were ethnically Irish, and served as Chaplains to the Union Irish Brigade during the Civil War.

Hence the nickname “Fighting Irish.”

1 Like

The Irish aren’t offended by this just like the Indians bc it helps people remember. It’s just the certain groups trying to think for them.

1 Like

Incorrect this was decades after UHlaw97.
There is not one direct connection between Ireland and Notre Dame. This is pure fantasy. A president decades later with Irish ancestry does not mean that Notre Dame is tied to Ireland.

I am waiting on the day of Morehead State vs Oral Roberts in the NCAA tournament.

5 Likes

Notre Dame’s 2nd and 3rd Presidents were both of Irish descent.

And one of those two, as I mentioned, together with some other priests at Notre Dame, served as Chaplains to the Union Irish Brigade during the Civil War, hence the name “Fighting Irish.”

The article I posted on that history was from Notre Dame’s website as well, so it’s pretty authoritative.

Agree on the Irish part, but there have been many Native American groups that protested the Redskins (basically a slur) and Indians (just an incorrect term) team names. I remember all the way back in the 90s tribes trying to get rid of the Redskins name, pretty shocking it lasted so long. It just wasn’t until other people starting helping that change got made. The Irish like Notre Dame’s mascot just like the Seminole tribe approved Florida State to continue using their name (I think they got paid some big bucks also).

3 Likes

What about games between S Carolina and Oregon St?

1 Like

A good example of a mascot that was mistakenly considered offensive was the Central Michigan Chippewas.

The NCAA had put that on the list of offensive mascots, unaware that a) the CMU campus is located right next to the Saginaw Chippewa Reservation (a federally recognized native American group), b) the university conducts numerous Native American studies programs in conjunction with the tribe, including for credit classes in the Ojibwe (Chippewa) language, and holds a joint Pow-Wow on campus every year, and c) the university used that name with the express written consent of the Saginaw Chippewa Tribe.

When the Tribe got wind of this, their leaders went before the NCAA and told them straight up that they were PROUD to have the university use their name.

At that point, the NCAA had no choice but to back off.

As for the Washington Redskins (offensive racist nickname), and Cleveland Indians (insulting racial caricature “Chief Wahoo”), those two are no brainers. DROP 'EM!!!

ND is a matter of dispute. No Irish I know of are offended by it (including yours truly, and I’m of half Irish descent, and had four cousins go to school there, one for undergrad and law school), but even beyond that, as I mentioned, members of ND’s historical leadership, including its 2nd President, served as chaplains to the REAL “Fighting Irish,” the Union Irish Brigade, during the Civil War.

Given that, it’s hard to deem that as offensive.

1 Like

This thread makes me think of one of my favorite “name” bowl games.

Christmas day 1999, the demon deacons took on the sun devils

1 Like

I refuse to click on the link

The French Jesuits would/should be a 100% accurate description.

USC Trojans when they play Oregon st or South Carolina. Lol

1 Like

Except that they wouldn’t be Jesuits.

The Congregation of the Holy Cross is a religious order all its own, separate from the Jesuits.

Boston College and Georgetown are Jesuit universities.

what about Mr Potato head
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BYU should’ve gone with something like Stormin’ Mormons or something like that. It would’ve been very cool.

Are there any vikings out there that are offended

1 Like