The next four home games have available seats in the student section. Buy em up if you want to sit there and take the students seats!

The Arizonas are almost widely known for that. There’s plenty of list, pics and videos depicting her experience.

1 Like

UH supporters have been trying to crack the lack of attendance issue for as long as internet message boards have been around and nothing has changed. I am not saying you should concede but I have. I go to the games that I can, try to introduce new fans when I have extra tickets, and then I let things work themselves out on their own.

The Big XII association will add a few more UH fans but hopefully we will get Big XII opponents to help fill the UH void for home games. Life is too short for me to get invested in how UH should improve their attendance at home games.

1 Like

Thank you for posting this. A ton of bad takes on the thread. We have 47k students and plenty of American born sports fans. The issue is not lacking students that like or understand (lmao) sports, its making sure they are engaged and connected. I also think its way over blown and the students are not an issue for showing up, I have been to UT and Baylor games in December, almost no students show up.

1 Like

This. Athletics should partner with the different schools on campus and help generate new technology and services. It makes no sense why the CS department couldn’t help design (as part of on-going student projects) social apps or even a new/better ticketing system. And it would also be great to get our business (marketing) school involved with new and progressive advertising ideas for athletics and other events. The real-world experience would benefit all of the students involved with designing these things.

1 Like

As someone who is in the CS department and have seen a bunch of broken things about UH Services, I would totally take on a project like this.

We do use swipe technology on campus. It is still there. It can absolutely be applied to everything else.

4 Likes

There has been a growing transfer from outside to UH pipeline going on. Insane.

I don’t even think it needs to be swipe technology. Have a student app that contains digital IDs that correspond to their actual physical ID. The digital ID can be added to one’s Apple Wallet or Google Wallet as a scannable QR code or used with NFC tech. They scan or tap their phone to get into games. On the back end, have the app/system track attendance (location with applicable permissions) for positive incentives. The more a student attends (and stays at) athletics/campus events etc. the more priority they get for things like comp’d or heavily discounted tickets to bowl games, conference/NCAA tournament games, other misc. perks, raffles, etc.

The key would be to have the student app be seamless and secure with not only athletics but PeopleSoft, parking pass, dining plan, library card, push notifications for announcements, calendar for campus events etc. Simple and easy that students will use it but powerful enough to be actually helpful and useful.

4 Likes

We went from a commuter school to an office park school. Sure, we have beds on and near campus but little else. We need a few restaurants and bars and retail options and preferably on Scott Street and not hidden away by railroad tracks and a dead end (no offense, Pink’s).

My “daughter” spent one year in a dorm and one in Greek housing but she was always in midtown, downtown, or Washington. One of the best things about college for me was being able to walk to get wasted and then back home through campus.

I wish we’d thought ahead and built new residential like more urban big city schools with GFR.

1 Like

I’m at the game and the student sections sounds weak. When my friends and I were in it two years ago it was much louder. They just tried to do the womp womp and panned the student sections and you would think they didn’t know how to spell.

1 Like

Two years ago as in 2019-2020?

Heck, 2018-2019 was the craziest season of them all.

The only thing louder now than that season was Neck.

It was okay tonight. But it needs some work and coordination and fostering. CV3, we do our stuff always but 109 sucks, the band rushes in chants, and the people around us don’t do anything.

2 Likes

I agree 18-19 was better. I think COVID is to blame for the lack luster student section. Back when I started in ‘17 we got to watch the team grow and get better every season right in front of our eyes. Due to COVID last years freshman didn’t get to experience that and the older students didn’t get to show them and there is hardly anyone there to show this years freshman. Basically soft reset due to COVID

3 Likes

I was at UHD for 2017-2018 so watched on TV/heard through the news and Reddit.

I really want to see something change athletics wise, orientation wise, etc. That will actually get kids in the door.

Can you go into more detail on those and how they came about?

For the minority student organizations during the Sumlin years, a lot of them hosted tailgate potlucks, tailgating activities, and giveaways at the organization tailgates.

It was to bring awareness to other UH students across campus to learn about different cultures and such. This resulted in boosting attendance for the students who never understood American football growing up.

Having ESPN College Gameday at UH also helped of course too.

Sweet. Made a post.

And that is awesome, I would love to see middle eastern food at a few tailgates being Arab myself. And furthermore, play Massoud! That will get all the Arabs to come out to games LMAO!

2 Likes

Sounds to me like the student section… NEEDS.MORE.BOOZE! :crazy_face:

But seriously… Get hype COOG FANATICS!!!

We need something like the red rowdies in the Fertita Center.

1 Like

I used to go to the HOF when Chicken was on the team and I would yell… “BAGAWK!!!” at the top of my lungs…

It was so quiet in there everyone could hear it… :rofl:

It’s a game folks… BE THE HOME COURT ADVANTAGE!!!

1 Like

Not just the student section but the entire crowd has been in a lull this season. Only the UVA game has been consistently loud.

Man… This entire season should be a PARTAAAAYYY up in Fertitta Center.

Yes, you are on the right track.
During the Sumlin years we had all types of different cultures and food for tailgates from the minority student organizations.

Tacos, Korean BBQ, spring rolls, egg rolls, shawarma beef/chicken, etc.