This Houston Cougars football game is now 10 years ago

Houston vs Texas Tech: September 26, 2009

9 Likes

Most exciting game ever at the Rob?

7 Likes

Nothing against Art Briles tenure but beating Oklahoma St and then Texas Tech put our program in the national map.

9 Likes

I was a high school senior playing my last year of varsity football and this is what made me fully realize that UH didn’t suck anymore.

Like I heard of the 2006 CUSA championship team and Kolb getting drafted but UH slipped outta my mind til the Oklahoma State upset right before this. Interestingly enough, I was on the verge of going to Texas Tech actually.

2 Likes

I was in Florida at the time and woke up the entire family when Case scored.

12 Likes

Still one of the most heart pounding and intense game ive ever witnessed as a Coog fan in person. Was my first year at UH after transferring in.

3 Likes

Not only do I remember the craziness of this game, but in the traffic leaving the game I listened to the Rangers gag their only chance to win the World Series.

5 Likes

I remember going to the testing center that morning and the tailgating was already heating up. Pretty sure some folks never made it in.

2 Likes

Second football game i had ever been to!

2 Likes

win - win

3 Likes

Didn’t someone make off with a player’s helmet during the celebration?

1 Like

I miss The Rob.

4 Likes

I think so. I think Sumlin had to go to the press and ask for it back. I believe it was returned.

4 Likes

It was 3 helmets, but I think they eventually got them back.

4 Likes

Tailgating was better at the Rob.

3 Likes

That game had the best pregame scene of any UH game I’ve been to. The atmosphere was absolutely fantastic, and the game topped it.

4 Likes

Man on man.

Seems like just yesterday!

I remember watching that game in the middle of the night/early morning on the armed forces network from my Officer’s Quarters at Camp Red Cloud, Korea.

5 Likes

I was at this game. The tailgating was so good at The Rob that by the 8 PM kick off I saw several partakers that could not walk enough to get in the game. They missed a good time and the “two-day drive”. It almost made up for missing the C-USA Championship game against Southern Miss when I booked my trip assuming it would be Saturday night instead of Friday night…

3 Likes

Cherished memories from that game. My late Dad said to me during the drive at about the 40 yard line" Rick we are fixing to beat Texas Tech". The replay of the touchdown was the last football play he saw shortly before he passed on.

22 Likes

Red Veselka’s awesome BBQ at the tailgate before the game, Cougar Walk, and the best game at The Rob that I ever saw…
Great friends, great times, great memories.

2 Likes