This SMU game feels big!

Yes…

• inconsistent offensive schemes
  • lack of discipline at time
  • poor o-line play
  • inability to consistently play 4 quarters

…but I am starting to see a young nucleus to build around

4 Likes

Our O Line coach is also our run game coordinator.

this may be our biggest issue……need a new hire at this coaching position.

as far as div 1 opponents. UH opponents have a total of 15 wins
SMU 9
their entire ranking is based on beating 3-3 TCU. which is a rivalry game more important to smu than to tcu.
They have an oline, which is more than I can say for us. This test will be the toughest for our defense yet, we will need to sack the qb to win this game.
Our offense will need to have some qb runs and some way to buy time to stretch the field….smu give up a ton of passing yards so there is some hope that we can establish our offense
people look at the stats and were embarrassed by the struggles vs ecu but their opponents have a combined 24 wins….a much tougher schedule than smu or us.

1 Like

SMU is ranked because they are 7-0 this season and 24-6 since 2019.

2 Likes

We have to run the ball well Saturday because if this game turns into a shootout we will get boat raced.

Defense needs negative plays and turnovers.

We can’t miss multiple field goals like last night.

No jumping offsides like we did on more than one occasion last night.

He should choose one job or the other…he clearly can’t do both as evidenced by our poor OL play and inconsistent run game.

1 Like

A win will be huge.

2011 UH had a prolific offense. 2021 UH has a very good defense. And, yes, it will UH defense vs. SMU offense that will be the most interesting part of the game.

I get that SMU looks the part on offense and I won’t be surprised by a crushing defeat or a remarkable win for the Coogs. I don’t understand why people would assume UH will get steamrolled on Saturday. Sure, UH has looked really bad at times and struggled against some bad competition. However, SMU has had their share of struggles: La Tech (2-5) and Navy (1-6).

Bottom line: UH is not the only team struggling at times this season. But at times, they have looked solid. It all depends on which one we see on Saturday. Should be fun anyway.

2 Likes

Call it like I see it. CDH and Doug Belk may want to have the Shriner’s Hospital burn unit on stand-by Saturday night. Tanner Mordecai will give our safeties 3rd degree burns when he throws over the top. I like our front seven, but SMU will wear them down when our offense can’t move the ball or Tune turns it over. I see a BYU redux when we play SMU. I hope I am wrong, but I’ve seen enough over the past 2+ years to believe otherwise. The Texas Tech game is still too fresh in my memory. I sat inside NRG Stadium and watched a total collapse. Inept QB play and a terrible OL. A terrible OL all season. Beating a weak schedule of teams one step-up from the little sisters of the poor does not change the facts. As HC of the Houston Cougars, CDH has never beaten a team with a winning record. My Lord, he had to eek out a win over a terrible ECU team. Again, I hope I am wrong. I will gladly eat Cougar crow. History and facts say I will not have to eat crow.

3 Likes

Hopefully the stadium is rocking and everyone isn’t mostly watching the baseball game on their phones. I recall this game vs. Vanderbilt a few years ago when the local baseball team was playing.

2 Likes

The scheduling is so messed up. I won’t be going to the game because the Astros are playing the World Series. It could have been close to a sell out but a lot of people would rather watch a World Series game than UH football. Should still be a good turnout. But this game should have been played at noon.

How good do you think SMU’s defense is?

Against decent teams they give up plenty. The key to beating SMU is holding them to field goals in the red zone. They are one of the best red zone teams in the nation. If Belk, Inc. can do that we win.

Stats say otherwise
They move the ball well but struggle in the red zone
We need to adjust our game plan
Let them move the ball but stiffen in the red zone
Don’t give up the deep ball
Make them kick field goals

1 Like

Bad choice.

1 Like

I think the Pony Express is running head first into a UH Freight Train that is about to knock them off the winning track!

Go Coogs!

4 Likes

Personally, I think we need to play SMU like the NFL is now playing the Chiefs. Drop back in coverage and make them work down the field. Run some creative stunts and bring blitzes in certain situations. I think SMU is beatable and we can do it. But then again I am a Coog fan, so what else am I supposed to think.

Is that the year they are actually leaving or any year after they announce they are leaving?

Stats Hell.

They’re 26-32 including 12/12 vs. USF/Tulane.

The Saturday WS game, for me, is a must see only if the Astros are 3-0, clinching Saturday nite. At this point, I don’t see them 3-0. There are more WS games, but only one SMU game that may provide UH entry into the AAC championship game with a win after such lackluster previous 2+ years.

Plus, the Cougar game will likely finish before the end of the Astros game and I’d be able to listen and/or watch by the time I get home.

7 Likes