Time to move on from Tune

I don’t remember anyone, much less half the board, calling for Ward to be benched when Herman got here. Everyone was laughing at Herman saying it was an open competition with Schulz. Maybe there were like 2 or 3 O’Korn die hards still on that train before he transferred.

The times when a good portion of the board have been against a QB or wanted a change have usually been some combination of the QB really struggling and/or there being a legitimate debate about the quality of the potential replacement QB. Keenum/Joseph, Piland/Broadway, Piland/O’Korn, O’Korn/Ward (in O’Korn’s second season before O’Korn was benched), Allen/King. We don’t have either one right now, where there is someone ready or even that will be ready next year that is reasonably likely to be better than Tune and it’s not like Tune has been really bad. Even in spite of that you still have plenty of people like OP saying they want a new QB.

If we could get a top-tier grad transfer I think plenty would support it, but we’d probably be looking at a Dormandy/Schulz-level player in the best case somewhat realistic scenario.

Some of what you probably feel is misplaced hope for Tune likely comes from an understanding that we’re unlikely to have a better option next year so you may as well be optimistic.

Also, forgive me if I’m misunderstanding, but you seem to subtly be bringing a race-based rationale to this and of course that can always influence people’s perceptions. But honestly, a decent bit of the criticism on here of Tune has been of the “we need a dual threat” QB variety. Given that Tune is probably the third fastest QB we’ve had in the modern Coog era starting with Briles, with that specific complaint the opposite of what you are thinking might be happening a bit.

You should.

And you should keep a little bit more to yourself. Your recollection of “facts” are often not the same as mine. You stretch the facts to try to make a point–to be right.

And you, along with several others on this board, have a habit of misusing words like “everyone,” “nobody,” and the like. It’s a bad habit and is detrimental to your credibility.

Can’t you just make your point and move on without trying to co-opt others into your arguments?

1 Like

I am expecting Tune to be our starting QB next year and I also expect him to make us all proud – except of course the haters that will find things to complain about if we run the table and he is a Heisman finalist. I wouldn’t say Heisman winner because we all know that is reserved for P5 players. I can see his improvement continuing despite an OL as leaky as a collander.

3 Likes

what??? ward was attakcked here! that was the only reason i made wards sophomore highlights. when i posted the highlights on the forum (The old one) i wrote about how too many people dont realize how good ward was… (The 1st player highlights i had made)

there used to pages and pages worth of thread about how ward cant throw, how ward is too short, how he doesnt have the muscle to play at his size… tons noted the type of qb we’ve had success with…tons wanted a clean purge from the levine era
tons of poster were saying herman would bring in his own qb and theres no chance he’d playa 5’10 wr (which id always note, he had played more years at qb than WR)

how can you not remember the ward backlash? hell after king’s 1st year, to a lesser extent the exact same debates came up for king too…and me and few poster kept pointing out how we keep having these same debates… about height and thowing, when we just had a ny6 year with a 5’10 qb, that we should be the 1 school thats okay with it… you’re revisioning what history was on here

1 Like

point out what facts am i stretching? not an attack, just curious what you think i am stretching

I think Lawbert is right that when there isn’t 100% uniformity with an opinion you agree with you overstate how pervasive that opinion is. Like now, there is plenty of Tune dissent.

Now that you bring up Ward I think I remember there were some posters who thought Herman might want to bring his own QB (in particular Cardale Jones), but I remember very little of that being an attack on Ward or that we need to move on. The only pervasive concern was that Ward might not be able to last a full season taking hits in Herman’s offense.

Once we went into camp with Schulz and Ward the overwhelming opinion of posters commenting on it was to not take Herman seriously when he said it was an open competition.

i didnt deny there was tune dissent, i even noted there seems to be 3 categories everyone is falling in (2 of which would be tune dissent)…
my comments was how limited the dissent has been for his record…that any other qb with his record like ward would not be as coddled… which is true

and you are right in the fact that the anti-ward movement subsided after the spring game, becuase it became very apparent that ward looked good and the others did not… but you are drastically downplaying the amount of posters that said they wanted a switch at qb prior, who didnt think he could throw, and didnt like the fact that he was a skinny 5’10… the board when herman was hired the board was probably leaning more towards benching ward (atleast the ones that were posting/ and by benching i mean moving back to wr), and it bothered me thats why i spent hours making a highlight reel of ward to show he was good… i wouldn’t have did that for 2 okorn holdovers …
i wish the old place didnt delete threads after a few months, it would be easier just to show you

1 Like

Keep in mind, these are not professional players making millions. These are student athletes playing a game they love. Those that continually criticize and critique to no end, please tell me what D1 program you played for? Or better yet, what college did you coach at? It’s redundant.

13 Likes

By the way I noticed that your son had a great game against Memphis.

3 Likes

I remember threads where it was stated that because of his size, Ward would never be drafted as a QB and his only route to a pro career would be as WR, a sentiment that I thought as well. It turns out that that was the truth. That was not an attack, just a statement of fact. And in all of those threads, I don’t remember anyone actually bashing Ward as our QB.

After the success of Mahomes, Mayfield, and Murray, today he may have been given a chance at QB, but that was then, not today.

1 Like

Thank you

2 Likes

there tons of posters that were saying he should move to WR at UH as his best shot at the pros… that was also a big portion of those who wanted him to switch…but there was a even bigger section that constantly noted he couldnt pass…people still question ward as a passer today, despite being a really good passer as a senior … people definitely questioned ward then…
i remember the general sentiment, (before okorn transferred) that ward was a gimmick to hold us over till we could get a good coach, who could actually develop o’korn…and after okorn transfered, that herman would want to bring in his own qbs (schulz, bear and postma who was a undefeated juco qb)

okay, pesik, super detective, has found a way to look up some old board thread titles, even though those threads are long deleted, coogfans used to posted tweets for some of the new threads back in the day. a glimps of what the narrative was…these are just some thread titles not even the actual posts
https://twitter.com/CoogFans/status/557406170000801792
https://twitter.com/CoogFans/status/538545834371973121
https://twitter.com/CoogFans/status/531327226998824961

Watching this year, I can confidently say that Tune is not the problem with the offense. He’s not gonna win the Heisman or anything, but if Greg McElroy can win the SEC, Clayton Tune can win the American.

1 Like

Someone should ask coach how many drops we averaged this year. I think it is better than last year but still to many. Dell has really good hands, I think.

1 Like

You make too much sense. Maybe it is because women are more highly evolved than men.

As I stated in an earlier post, we have imperfect posters expecting perfect performance from imperfect (young) players.

2 Likes

Long ago this thread should have been closed.

6 Likes

This thread stinks.
STOP.

2 Likes

Okey doke, that’s enough of this. Time to move on from this thread.

Tune is a Cougar and works hard every day for our entertainment. Not that his play is ever above criticism, but this thread, what is it good for really?

5 Likes