Time to move on from Tune

I’m not sold on the combo of QB and offensive philosophy/play calling. Can one be changed to get us where we want? Maybe but probably not in my opinion. I don’t see the right type of offense or a consistent play making QB that will get us back to 10+ wins and contending for conference championships and Big time bowl games.

Tune has happy feet.He is too scared to be an effective college Qb at the level Uh desires to be.He isn’t bad for a smaller school

I simply can’t believe this thread has lasted as long as it has. Totally classless and uncalled for. Cowards behind keyboards aren’t new however

6 Likes

the worst part is the person that decided to start a thread that attacks a player personally got 11 likes so far on his initial comment. This is like reading comments from entitled UT fans

4 Likes

Vultures of a feather, devour together.

2 Likes

I prefer eagles over vultures

And if he hadn’t fumbled a snap he might have led us to a win.

1 Like

The snap was bad but catchable. Tune took his eyes off the ball.

How ironic is it when imperfect posters expect perfect performance from imperfect players.

5 Likes

Tune needs to avoid the turnovers. They are absolute game killers. I remember when Major was 8-1 before King got hurt. Then Tune went 0-3, and Major got fired.

Y’all forget it took case a few yrs maybe 3 or 4 to really stop throwing duck balls then it took him a while to hit that deep ball over the shoulders. I think tune is better at all the throws than case early on. Case had 6 yrs here and excelled towards the end. Tune isn’t the issue and again we could have won that game with some things going our way. Again I wish dana would recruit a dual threat or maybe mousard is that qb but tune is a good qb. Kyle Allen made it in the nfl but struggled here so it’s the line that needs help.

No, it seems that you mis-remember the 2018 season. UH was 7-1 (with a soft schedule) while SMU was 3-5 (losing to Michigan, TCU, UCF & Cincinnati) when they kicked our arse in that rain delayed game in Dallas (led by former UH recruit QB Ben Hicks) while DeEriq King was still playing QB for UH.

Down the stretch, UH went 1-3 (beating only Tulane) but it seemed pretty clear at the SMU game that Applewhite & Briles lost the UH team. Then the Army game embarrassment was the nail in the coffin.

1 Like

This is what I remember and let’s not forget that Major fired his DC and his OC was leaving for a new opportunity as well so there were more factors to the timing of his firing than the performance of his true FR QB whose RS year was burned to save a one-and-done Coog QB that wanted to preserve his last year of eligibility.

Having said that, I am disappointed in the offense this season. I expected more. I am not putting it on Tune but that side of the ball has let me down.

1 Like

And then the ball took a freakish roll and the rest is history. Maybe that fourth quarter comeback will be good our quarterback and team.

what??? case was 45tds/10ints as a true sophmore on 68%… case was lighting things up from day 1

and i dont even think kyle allen played bad that year, he was 2-1 as a starter and his sole loss was by 3pts… and broke a completion record in his sole win … I agree the qb switch had to be made but because we knew king would be more productive, not because i thought Allen was bad… it wasn’t just the line that was the issue, every starting WR was super slow, 4.7 or worse (dunbar, bonner, leday) and the rb wasnt fast (catalon)…and kyle wasnt fast …we needed someone with speed on the field…

and kyle allen brings up another bullet point about how tune is probably the most coddled qb by the fans ive ever seen ( i have a theory why but ill keep that to myself)
kyle allen a 5star qb, in a completely new system/coach/team was labeled as “struggling” and “not good” in a 3 game span where he won most of the games … but tune on his 3rd YEAR as a starter with a very bad record as a starter… the idea of just calling him average or saying we should bring other guys to compete with him is a definite no no?

1 Like

What do you mean by coddled? Trusting the staff that a guy who has performed like a middle of the pack starter in FBS is a better option than a not heavily recruited true freshman who probably got less reps than a normal true frosh unexpected to play would get or a WR who hasn’t been in the QB room in years, has looked uncomfortable in many of his few snaps, and who hasn’t been deemed a QB by several OCs/HCs? I didn’t bring up Logan because I don’t think I’ve seen anyone, even the people who want Tune replaced, bring him up.

If we had a developed highly regarded backup who looked great in the red/white game and mop up opportunities you’d probably have more folks wanting or open to a change.

This isn’t a Garrett Gilbert at UT situation where we’ve had good QBs transfer out or stopped recruiting QBs out of high school for a couple of years.

everyone, realizes tune is the best qb for this year. almost none of the conversation is about this year. its about what we should do next season… some people are saying tune is our guy next year hands down, some are saying kopp or massoud…some (like myself) are saying bring in a transfer qb this offseason to compete for the job

and coddled as in tune has been starting games for 3 year and has a losing record in all 3, but any type of critique on him and half the board here goes “how could you?”… half the board are locking him for starter the next few years… imagine how this board would have been if ward was 5-11 as a starting qb with 3 offseasons at the position. ward was 6-2 with zero offseason at qb and half the board was calling for him to be benched after his 1st year

the ncaa has given everyone a free year, the ncaa has also passed immediate eligibility transfer …there will be countless options in the portal if we go that route

4 Likes

UH is not Alabama where you have all those 5 stars surrounding an average QB. Every time UH has been really good, it had a really good QB and we did not have to wait years to see the skill.

I like Tune but so far it looks like he is an average QB. If he plays the same way next year, I think the coaches will try a different QB. No one knew King would play as well as he did until he finally got his shot.

1 Like

To me the receivers have been the biggest disappointment. There seems to be a lot of drops of catchable balls and not really trying on long balls.

Disavow!