Tonight's attendance

Put your money . . . . . step up, buy one or two of those grey seats and fill it every game . . . . .

Maybe two of them would have been students . . . . .

i wish they would thought about that when the did the renovation and put the other side for the tv sideline shot.

They did not want to put the BMDs in with the help/support staff . . . . .

Don’t remember any other than white’s attending BB games at Delmar and the place was generally full when Elvin, Don and the gang were playing. One reason the Hoff was nicknamed “the house that Hayes built” . . . . . Then, years later, many of the years until GVL left, games were well attended and again I don’t remember a lot of minorities, with the exception of one Egyptian/Arab looking guy who kept screaming “Guy’s gotta go” . . . . . But my memory is not that great.

2 Likes

It was me and this is being taken completely out of context and blown out of proportion. There were studies to back up what I was saying of who watched college football and it was overwhelmingly whites and African-Americans. Hispanics watch football as well but more of the pro variety versus college.

I was just using data as an argument when someone tried to say we should be just as successful as LSU. It was one of many points I was making about demographics, commuter school, saturation of other big time college football programs in Texas versus one major program in Louisiana. We also were in G5 status for nearly 30 years.

Demographics was just one part of my point. Nobody ever said minorities don’t watch football.

Sheesh.

5 Likes

Yeah, my statement mainly pertains to football…basketball drew well albeit we played at Delmar…of course that changed when we opened the Hof and the bigger crowds came…

Hispanics watch college football. I see a lot of Hispanics at our football games so that’s false that they don’t. I’d say whites ,blacks and Hispanics attend our games and if we win more , they will all be there. UTSA is mainly Hispanic and they have decent attendance when good.

They are completely sold out.

It wasn’t you.

1 Like

The problem we have in America is that people often confuse the words many and lot to mean everyone. They see that as a slam at their whole ethnic group when it is definitely not. But, here in America, being offended is in vogue and many (there’s that word again) are looking to be offended.

Can you honestly tell me that a kid that grew up loving soccer, in a family that loved soccer, will suddenly become an avid football fan? Some may, but, in my opinion, the odds are against it.

4 Likes

I agree with the lack of precision in word use, but in this case we are talking about enough to blame low attendance on I dont think this is a case you can blame on ethnic groups. There are plenty of other reasons for it.

And in my experience, people who love sports lobe other sports when given the opportunity. Blaming soccer is quite the stretch.

5 Likes

My next door neighbor on my left is from Cameroon. He doesn’t care about football, baseball, or basketball. He is locked in on the world cup.

My next door neighbor on my right is from Cuba. He doesn’t care about football or basketball. He is locked in on the world cup.

Of my 8 closest neighbors, the only ones I know BTW, 6 are immigrants from Mexico, Cuba, or Cameroon and none care about American football, but all care about soccer, all of the one. I have a neighbor 2 doors down, who is 2nd generation Mexican-American and he watches football and baseball. All of my neighbors of Hispanic descent love baseball.

I know that is a small sample size, but it has a lot to do with my opinion.

5 Likes

Yes. That’s me. Hispanic, favorite sport is soccer but I absolutely love basketball and have since like 7th grade. I’m also way too short to ever play competitive basketball. Football is solid. The one sport that completely blows is baseball. My goodness

4 Likes

Cubans don’t even like soccer like that. Their favorite sport is baseball. Way to stereotype all Hispanics!

I dont ever watch soccer, but I like watching World Cup. I think I could watch any sport if I understand the stakes. Probably why I love the Olympics even though I wouldnt watch most of those sports under other circumstances. And going to a University brings the stakes right to you, makes it more personal. I guess I think that character trait is more universal among sports fans that it might actually be?

1 Like

Well, you can tell my neighbor that he shouldn’t be liking soccer. You seem to be one of those who like to equate some, many, and lot to everyone and look to be offended where none is intended. However, I did not stereotype anyone. Nice try though.

7 Likes

I believe the world would be a better place if we could all sit down together and watch Mel Brooks’ “Blazing Saddles”.

2 Likes

How many UH alum’s children attend UH. I’ve spoken to many whose kids have gone to other schools. That’s a bigger issue than blaming minorities.

5 Likes

And there you are folks. Red80 isn’t racist, it’s just you minorities that are to blame for attendance woes are just too sensitive.

There you go again putting words I didn’t say or mean in my mouth. We have had attendance problems our whole history, way before minorities became a large part of our student population. I just stated what I thought could be just one contributor to our current problem. But you seem to want to label people and I guess there’s nothing I can do about that. Think what you wish because I really don’t care what you think, I know what I am and that’s all that matters to me.

8 Likes

I’m a minority too. Who knew?

I’m interested in the Sailing World Cup.

The biggest issue is we sucked in football and basketball for almost 20 years. Two decades worth of students lost. I know because I attended UH during this era and when I’m at the stadium our fans look 60+ or 30 and under. Very few GenXers there.

2 Likes