Top 5 AP Poll - Voters Thus far

I found collegepolltracker.com which does a really nice job of breaking down votes by voter and some nice graphics. We all know who has voted us lowest each week, but it is interesting to see how other voters perceive us.

2 Likes

Wow, our other AAC brethren are far out of the polls. The only way they could get into the polls is if they beat us which I hope never happens.

UCFā€™s only losses are to two ranked teams (Houston and Michigan). Plus they beat a ranked team in Florida State.

They should be getting more love and definitely are a tournament team.

3 Likes

No doubt!

I have us down as a 3 bid league right now (UH + SMU + UCF) which might be our ceiling.

Iā€™m hoping we have a fourth team surprise us but it may be tough this year especially with Cincinnati having a down year, Wichita State transitioning, and Memphisā€¦is underperforming.

2 Likes

The problem is, given the conferenceā€™s poor non-conference performance, it will be hard for teams to build a strong at-large resume without beating UH. And I canā€™t root for that. SMU or UCF could get in if they finish 2nd or higher. Getting three in will be tough and would likely require a surprise automatic qualifier or the third team to beat UH at least once.

2 Likes

It is a three bid league but SMU cannot have more then three loses and UCF cannot have more then three more loses. That will give UCF with total 5 loses with a win over Fla State and one against SMU. SMU will have total three loses with one win against us and UCF. We will end up with one loss only.

Well, if UH has to have some losses simply due to statistics, I hope that itā€™s only to SMU and/or UCF. I just donā€™t want a loss to anyone else in the conference.

I would like to stay #4 or #5 until the last week of conference play. I wanna b top three when the tourney selection takes place.

The #1 team is going to be the only team to win their last six games anyway.

This is pretty much right. 3 bids barring a surprise autobid is pretty unlikely and if it happens it would mean there are probably some losses at our expense that help the resumes of other teams. If SMU and UCF each got a road win over us and UCF and SMU pretty much otherwise run the table other than home losses against each other and SMU losing to us at their place then all 3 of us should get in. But odds are thatā€™s not going to happen.

I canā€™t see a plausible scenario with 4 absent basically the scenario I laid out above and a surprise team winning the conference tourney.

If I had to predict Iā€™d say just us and SMU get in.

At this point I think it may be nearly as likely that weā€™re a single bid league this year than we get 3 teams in.

Iā€™m going to go with 3 AAC Teams get in. Hate to say it but thatā€™s based on assumption that happens frequently. Assumption being Coogs win Reg Season Title but someone else wins Conf tourney. Happens so often in all Confs n at most it drops Coogs 1 seed down from where they were going in Conf tourney or maybe not at all if they lose in Ship game. Thatā€™s my prediction.

Adding ESPNā€™s BPI and SOR:

1. Gonzaga
  2. Villanova
  3. Baylor
  4. Houston
  5. Kansas
  6. Tennessee
  7. Texas
  8. Michigan
  9. Illinois
  10. West Va

Iā€™m kinda with coach here. We are definitely a top 10 team, but largely untested at this point against a larger, more physical team, such as most of the Big10. Great pub for recruiting and whatnot, but long time to go and a lot to be said for being under the radar.

Not sure where yā€™all are getting that we are under the radar. They have been pumping up our program all season and before the season.

1 Like

yup Russell! Weā€™ve got that target on us now. Right where weā€™ve wanted to be. Feels good!

This. Itā€™s waaaaay too early to infer quality from rankings, especially in a covid-affected season. I think Coach is just lowering expectations and trying to keep the team humble. The AAC season is long and fraught with more pitfalls and trap games than the national media appreciates. Even the great team of a couple seasons ago stumbled a couple times (Temple away, UCF at Fertittaā€“Iā€™ll never forget that one since it was the only game I attended in person that year). The problem with a high ranking in the AAC is that if we drop a game it will be to an unranked and unfancied team, and that could hurt us a lot more in the rankings than other teams whose losses will likely be to better-regarded teams.

On the plus side, I admire Coachā€™s no-nonsense, dont-believe-the-hype attitude. It will keep the team hungry if they continue to win, and it will keep them from being too down if they lose some random Tuesday night game. Though if they win the next couple at Tulsa and SMU, running the table doesnā€™t seem impossible, just improbable.

2 Likes

Saying I would rather be a bit more under the radar at this point.

1 Like

Tonight was why I was saying we probably arenā€™t going to get three teams in unless one is an autobid that wouldnā€™t get an at large. Tulsa, Wichita State, Memphis, etc. are going to win some games against us, UCF and SMU and the conference overall didnā€™t do enough to boost the resume of the conference OOC.

There goes our slight shot at a 1 seed

Lol we never had a shot at a one seed. But if we finish out the season well we could get a three seed, maybe even a two if everything falls into place.
I just want us playing well when tourney time arrives

4 Likes