Top Gun and America

No, not good. A hiring decision should never be made on a candidates politics if
that is what you are implying.

He may be a great prof. I don’t know. But he clearly knows how to write for
his audience in TAC.

Lets see…

The young pilots training in Top Gun: Maverick (both men and women—apparently none of them “transgendered”) are beautiful physical specimens. They are young, muscular, and attractive, with looks that are characteristically American. They aspire to excellence. They are spoiling for the fight. They are actively competing with one another to get the chance to fly the combat mission. Not all of them will be chosen. But they all want to be chosen, which reflects a culture of ambition and aggression that our elites now view as unrefined and embarrassing.

Transgender simply don’t exist. I don’t know where these elites viewpoints he attributes to them
come from, but he can apparently assign it to them. When I hear talk of “elites” , it’s usually
from right wing groups,

1 Like

How about his politics wasn’t the deciding factor? I’m sure that the conservative viewpoint isn’t the prevailing one at UHD. This is just getting silly now.

Sure, certainly hope so. It sounded to me like hiring needed to be made on
political considerations, based upon your reply.

Not seen it , but plan to. I thought the original was a great movie and enjoyed
it as such. Never considered evaluating it as anything other then a fun movie.

2 Likes

Exactly…and it is actually very apolitical.

Curious, do you want your students carrying ? I know your above statement is tongue in cheek,
but I missed seeing your participation in the other threads and was curious of your take. You
deal with 18-21 year olds on regular basis.

As the saying goes, HERE WE GO!
so before i dive into this some background, I was a USN Aviation Ordnanceman on both F-14A’s and F/A-18F’s w/a combat deployment on the Supers, as well as 2 combat deployments as an Army Infantryman.
To be blunt i have to ask is this man mentally retarded? while movies stereotype and exaggerate i could go back to my squadron and find a real version of damn near every single one of those pilots, I lived this and Both topguns are about as accurate as an action movie can be.

5 Likes

I don’t have a problem with it, I don’t think many of them do though. I have to imagine it is at least a deterent. Would be interesting to see a survey on how many college students do.

But this guy is an English professor and his dad was in the Navy!

Not gonna lie, I am a total sucker for F-16s, and that is 50-60 year old tech. Nice to know they can get from San Antonio to Galveston in minutes.

I thought it was interesting that he thinks the last 20 years goes against the current movie but he ignores where we were post Vietnam. But I have never doubted we have tons of excellent soldiers every generation. Of course the guys who end up in that kind of service are gung ho.

Pretty silly piece, my dad was an f-14 pilot(both the A and the D versions) and actually involved in the making of the original Top Gun film. Growing up around that culture I promise you that both films are actually more realistic than you might think.

1 Like

Not really interested in the article. I will say I didn’t care for the original Top Gun. Could barely watch it, IIRC. But the new film is really good. I highly recommend it.

Wow, not many people can make that claim. Did he get any special
movie props or momentos from working with them , as I guess, a technical
advisor ? Any mention in the movie credits or just the usual “thanks to men and women of
the US Navy…” ?

I suspected the characters in the movie may be a little exaggerated, but based on real
naval pilots to a good degree. I think your the 2nd person in this thread with some connection to the topic that confirms this. I’m a bit surprised by all the dissing of the original here. Good acting, good actors, conflcts, sex appeal, tragedy, drama, incredible machines,soundtrack, etc . To each their own I guess.

Mooch’s Review of TOP GUN MAVERICK

I went into it without much expectation….10 minutes in I knew it was going to be good.
Stayed interested the entire movie :movie_camera: and by the time I left I wanted to see it again.

I told my son, “ I can’t believe I’m saying this but, I think I enjoyed it more than the first movie”

It’s crazy to me that some people take everything so serious and try and find fault with everything…. It must be exhausting to live life that way.

6 Likes

Yes

Like it?