TT game thoughts

I hear you. We have always done more with less than anybody out there. I know they have a tremendous jump on us, but I am hearing good things behind the scenes about NIL prospects for us. Hopefully, what I am hearing, pans out.

4 Likes

I come in peace.

Shough is definitely out for the game. Donovan Smith will be the guy. Heā€™s a solid 245 lbs and can run. Iā€™m assuming weā€™ll do a bit more RPO with him than we would with Shough. Also expect multiple designed QB runs.

Murray State had a mobile QB with a cannon. He hit a bomb that went 65 yards on the fly. He screwed his knee up unfortunately and had to leave the game.

Tech was without 3 rotation guys (Adedire/Ramirez/Wooten) on the DL. Theyā€™re going to be back this week.

The offense was what people were hoping for. Tempo was quicker than expected. Have 3 legit tight ends and they all caught balls. Really strong emphasis on the vertical passing game. Every time Murray went into zone we hit something in the middle of the field for a 1st down.

The question mark is still the OL. Nothing egregious from the 1st team, got a decent push and kept the QBs clean. One of our depth guys on OL is out for the year, so looks like weā€™ve got 8 competent guys. Donā€™t think Tech ran a single screen the whole Murray State gameā€¦ I assume thatā€™s being reserved for yā€™all.

Biggest concern by far was the CBs losing track of their guy after the QB broke contain. McGuire chewed them out twice and talked about that after the game.

The stadium environment was as juiced as anyone could recall for an FCS opponent. Thereā€™s tremendous excitement. Itā€™s going to be rowdy.

Iā€™d expect to see Tech get pressure on Tune, weā€™ll see if they get the DBs eye discipline sorted out during the week. If not, there will be opportunities for big plays. Yā€™all have always had speed at the skill positions. Expecting a high scoring affair. Going to be hot as well, guys will need to be rotated.

As for yā€™all, when did Tune get those wheels? I donā€™t recall seeing him run like that last year.

12 Likes

you didnā€™t throw litter did you?

That is shameful

1 Like

Evie Maeā€™s is in Wolfforth, which is basically Lubbock. Itā€™s a good ā€˜un.

2 Likes

Evie Maeā€™s in Wolfforth is #8. They cater most of Techā€™s recruiting events. If youā€™re heading to Lubbock for the game thatā€™s the place to stop.

3 Likes

Our recruiting is also going through the roof. Should be great fun going forward.

1 Like

Should be. Looking forward to playing teams that donā€™t like each other again.

5 Likes

I hope the coogs get the w but the financial and recruiting advantage that other Big 12 schools have had over us since the inception of the league is monumental. I know Tech has been rather disappointing to their fans since the pirate left but in the recent game we havenā€™t been able to stop their offense.

Iā€™m guessing you havenā€™t taken a look at current recruiting rankings. Their new head coach is a fantastic recruiter.

1 Like

Red helmet, white jersey, white pants!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

If the score is this high for either team, then I believe it will be the result of Tech jumping out to a 2- or 3-score lead and UH had to open it up to get back into it. I expect Dana to run, run, run, and control the clock as much as possible. For UH to win, I think the score has to be in the 35-28 range or lower.

But I am really bad at this score prediction game so who knowsā€¦

1 Like

Tune has been a running QB his whole career. Before last year basically all of Tunes best highlights were from his legs. He got hurt last year so he didnā€™t run much. But heā€™s back to being a legit dual threat

4 Likes

Makes sense. That was surprising.

I remember him being hobbled @ Tulane 2 years ago, and having to stop running for the most part the rest of that year and last year, also, but my rememberer is not all that dependable . . . . .

Has pulled hammy @ UNT and @ rice.

1 Like

If you want my two cents, you donā€™t but thank god for the internet so youā€™re getting them, the game hinges on both offensive lines.

I was not impressed by Houstonā€™s against UTSA, and Tech for the first time I can remember has a deep and physical defensive line. Tyree Wilson is a matchup nightmare and is grading into the first round, but the interior has some big dudes who made plays and DeReuter is a lot more aggressive than Patterson was last season.

On the flip side, I liked what Tech did against a far overmatched opponent. But, that doesnā€™t teach you much about your squad. I was happy they took care of business, something Matt Wells teams struggled to do consistently, but the group is still a question mark. Houston has an active front, and pressured UTSA very well. I think Techā€™s offensive is well ahead of UTSA, but you canā€™t do much of anything if your QB is picking dirt out of his teeth. Shough going down means Smith steps in, who is a much better athlete. He is a big dude and quick as all get out for his size. I just donā€™t have enough film of Techā€™s offensive line to know if they are the liability people have been thinking they may be or if the group will be solid. Unfortunately for Tech, Houston is the proving ground for them and its quite the first challenge.

So thats the matchup to watch. I would be absolutely stunned if the team with less sacks and pressures wins. Thats before you even consider Houstonā€™s ground game and Techā€™s, both which will live or die with that initial push.

I expect Tech to win this one, and I expect them to do it on the back of the DL. But if Houston wins, itll be because Tech either couldnt get to Tune or failed to keep Smith upright (for example the OSU game last year where poor Smith couldnt even breath without getting lit up). The secondary looks vulnerable for Tech, they cannot let Tune stand back there or it could get ugly. So the line coaches are going to earn their paychecks this week, and someone is going to end up on top in the trenches.

5 Likes

Welp. If we cant beat them this go around, the earliest we may stand a chance is 2025. Get the freaking W!!!

One of my biggest concerns was lots of missed tackles against UTSA in the first half. Coogs chances improve considerably if coaching reinforces basic tackling techniques and wrapping up the runners for all four quarters.

2 Likes

The Techie has a point about the lines.

And the poster that said Dana will run to control game game is right.