TT game thoughts

I just hope the run game isn’t aimed between the guards. I didn’t like what I saw against UTSA in that regard and I don’t think it will be any better against Tech. We need to get Henry and Campbell in space on the edges where they can use their speed and find seams. I’m also in favor of utilizing short and intermediate routes so Tune can get the ball out quicker. He had lots of time in the pocket against UTSA, but it didn’t seem to do much good. Maybe we need quick hitters until the WRs get better at settling into gaps in the secondary.

Also, about 90% fewer false starts would be nice.

3 Likes

With more on the way

https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-tech-to-start-200-million-project-to-build-largest-facility-in-college-football

A few years ago CKK was not not supportive of us getting the big 12! Nothing like appreciation for the school that gave him his first coaching job!

1 Like

I expect a real tough game. Think Tune and Dell/Golden to be a serious threat to TT secondary. Trench warfare will determine this one

Short passes to your WRs / TE are almost like a handoff so maybe let’s mix some of those in as well. Get the ball into Dell’s and Golden’s hands as much as possible even with short passes and force them to make tackles. And let’s hope the dropsies from some were left in Week 1

(Side note - I liked the TE screens against UTSA but the spacing / timing needs to improve in the execution at times. There was one where it looked very jumbled at the LOS.)

2 Likes

I don’t bite on the backup qb hype ever since Gunner Keil came in as a backup for cinci and had a hell of a game at tdecu, we still won of course

3 Likes

Its the depth at WR tech has and getting bubble screened to death before they catch you sleeping that makes them dangerous. Constant fresh legs at WR

I’m fairly confident in this game. Texas Tech will play to stop the pass and drop 7-8 into zone just like UTSA did so we have a advantage as we went through that in week 1 and it’ll be a similar game-plan as they had last year at NRG. Key will be to force 3 & outs quick & slow them down on offense. Our DL should be able to get pressure on Smith & hopefully bring him down more then we did with Frank Harris. We had a challenging week 1 & they didn’t so I guess we have an advantage on what we need to prep for and work on

I don’t think Tech will play that kind of a passive defense with the pass-rushers they have, unless they’re getting pressure with their front 4.

Tech is going to try to shut down our run first. At least that’s how they usually do it

How about some wheel routes and Tune runs or shuffle passes to break up the rush?

1 Like

I’d attack the seams with the TE and IR if they’re bringing those LBs up.

1 Like

we got to beat them Tortilla throwing bastages!!!

1 Like

Tech starts 10 seniors on defense. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

2 Likes

This must be some of that new math!

2 Likes

Thats not fair

:flushed:

Sorry. 10

I think too much is being made of the fact that our DL only got 3 sacks; it makes it sound like we were getting blown off the line, but the reality is that there was basically constant pressure in the backfield and Harris was just really good at escaping it. UTSA’s best RB ran the ball for less than 3 yards per carry. As much-maligned as our rushing attack was (and deservedly so) UTSA’s was worse, and that’s a credit to our defense. We held them to about half of their average from last year.

3 Likes

True, it was their QB scrambling and their WR’s that got to us.

Seem to recall TT busing over when they played at Robertson. Do we fly or bus over?