UH Reveals All-Time Starting Five

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere or not but it deserves its own thread.

4 Likes

Nice.

I guess a lot of us think alike. :+1:

7 Likes

I’d match that up against any team’s all time greats and like our chances.

7 Likes

Only one I didn’t agree with was Clyde.

2 Likes

Really? He was a member of the NBA All Century team if I recall. Who would you have had in his place?

3 Likes

What does that have to do with college achievements? IMO, Dwight Davis has to be on our all-time team. Check out his career stats, over 20 PPG to go with over 11 boards per game. He also lead UH to 3 consecutive Tournament appearances, and was the 3rd overall pick in the 1972 draft.

9 Likes

Young was the better college player as Reid Gettys said on a broadcast.

I also agreed with Reid that Kelvin is the better coach but that is blasphemous to most here.

3 Likes

You need to follow the guidelines. It had nothing to do w/ NBA Career. I took Michael Young over Drexler. 4 vs 3 yrs n better in several categories. Nothing to do w potential after school or what happened thereafter. I’m also w CKS in that THE BIG E is the greatest Coog basketball player ever— COLLEGE CAREER-- not close imo

3 Likes

Drexler was 1st team USBWA All-American and 2nd team AP. Young made a couple of 3rd team AA teams the following year. Lot more to the game than shooting and scoring. Drexler averaged 14 ppg, 10 rpg, 3 assists, and 3 steals.

5 Likes

I can still close my eyes and see Freshman Clyde leaping over Rudy Woods in one of the greatest dunks I ever saw.
Clyde played on a team loaded with stars, a team that should have won one or two titles.
He was also one of the best offensive rebounders we have ever had.
That said if the leaping Davis had been named to the team I wouldn’t have been upset! Terrific jumper and leader and a better shooter than Clyde in college.

3 Likes

Dwight Davis was phenominal and easily could be first team over Clyde.

2 Likes

I remember that conversation well. Very bold and not crazy at all. Good problem to have I guess.

Davis was phenomenal. Those were fun teams when the Dwights (Davis and Jones) were playing.

1 Like

If had to pick our top 5 ever, I couldn’t. Too many great ones. I’m sure I will catch flack for this I wouldn’t put Michael Young on any list and I’d even remove his jersey from the rafters for lying to the staff about Joseph signing with Providence and for suing the university . We shouldn’t revere a guy like that.

2 Likes

Now we’re getting into HOF stuff. #Character
Like you said, it’s hard to pick just 5 players. I have no issue having Drexler or D. Davis being picked over Young either. Semantics, I guess, just feel Young was huge part of Coogs going to 3 straight Final Fours.

1 Like

I’m 37 so, thats basically what my limiting factor was.

1 Like

If off the court behavior is a standard, shouldn’t Rob Williams’ partying in New Orleans before the North Carolina game come into question?

2 Likes

Good point. Well he went worse once he entered the NBA. Guess he is out also :grin:.
Plus Dream slapped a few people in face his first few yrs in the League, should we leave him out :grin:

1 Like

PSJ was truly a sight to behold! You tube the ‘dunkathon’ game vs Louisville. Those were the glory days of UH basketball. Hopefully Coach Sampson will give us some more…

1 Like

Rob might have cost us a shot at a national title, but what he did pales in comparison to what Young did. I will leave it at that.
Also let it be clear I think MY was one of the best we ever had here, but not top five

3 Likes