UH Reveals All-Time Starting Five

I’ll leave it to the old timers to debate who should or shouldn’t be on the list because I never got the chance to see these guys in person. But what I will say is its a studded list. There aren’t many schools that could put out a list of this caliber.

2 Likes

^^FACT^^

There are a lot of guys that deserve mention:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Cougars_men's_basketball_statistical_leaders#Scoring

The one guy that never gets mentioned as a player but was a great college player is Reid Gettys. He was a very important part of PSJ. He is our assist leader.

6 Likes

the question is why limit it to 5, we could have just had a top ten all time. we have enough greats to do it and it would have been more fun to see more not less

1 Like

UCLA’s would be amazing but I’m not sure it would have much if anything on ours.
C Alcindor
PF Walton
SF Wilkes
SG Miller
PG Goodrich

UNC & Duke would have tremendous teams as well.

2 Likes

The argument against is that Rob was a young man who made some very bad decisions. MY was a paid employee of UH and lied to his employer. That said, it was a tough decision, but I went with Drexler in a very close call.

1 Like

I am pretty sure our coaches were all aware of how Rob liked to do things before we recruited him. Today he would have easily been a five star player and probably one of the top five in the nation…
That said, UH’s program was struggling in the mid to late '70s and Rob Williams was a must get for Guy and the Cougars to turn the program around.
When Rob signed here it opened the doors for guys like Young, Micheaux and many others in the '80s.
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do…

1 Like

That Alcindor bunch was probably the best ever assembled as a team and we had the misfortune of having to play them in the Final Four twice, including once in LA. In '68 they had the quickest backcourt I think I have ever seen…
Duke, North Carolina and Georgetown all had special athletes back in the day…

2 Likes

They probably didn’t have to pay Goodrich!

1 Like

Maybe add LSU with Maravich and Shak leading the way . . . . . did not follow close enough to fill out a top 5, just spitballing . . . . .

1 Like

Bob Pettit

2 Likes

He was on the original top 50, right? He was the first pro basketball player I remember seeing on TV in the late 50s

Rob and Sweet Lou were the 2 most talented freshmen to come into UH. They were both outstanding collegiate players but unfortunately neither really improved over their careers, for whatever reasons

Two names we’ve overlooked in the discussion of all-time UH greats are Gary Philips, our first All-American, as well as Joe Hamood. That team when Joe and Wayne Ballard were seniors, Elvin and Chaney were sophs, and Leary Lentz was a Junior, should have gone further in the Tourney

3 Likes

Loved to watch Ballard and Joe Hammood…I became a Coog fan in the early ‘60s and can remember going to a junior high dance and sitting in the corner listening to the Coogs play Agy.
My coach was Milam Schverak and of course his brother Donnie was a starter for the Coogs.
Memory may be failing but I Remember Notre Dame beating us by over 30 at home but then us shocking the Irish in the tourney.
And don’t ask, no one wanted to dance with me anyways lol
Great memories of Guy V’s scrappy teams

4 Likes

Leary Lentz is in the Illinois high school basketball hall of fame.

Gary Phillips was the 8th player chosen in the draft. Pretty strong.

3 Likes

Was this marketed weeks prior to the game?

The people Dream slapped usually deserved it. Especially the Jazz.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Hard to argue against the top five. Imo. Honorable mentions have to go to Dwight Jones, Louis Dunbar, Don Chaney,

Having thought it over I would replace Drexler with Dwight Davis.

He was just astonishing.

A Top Ten list would reveal the incredible talent UH has enjoyed.

1 Like