UH system along with A$M ,UT asking for 1 billion from surplus

This is the time to also greatly strengthen the endowments of all the 4 year TX state schools.

Give UTEP, SFA, Sam Houston, etc part of this surplus in untouchable permanent endowment $.

Say $25 million + in decreasing amounts based on size to all the 4 year state schools.
(No idea if $25 million is realistic or under what could be given)

It would be a tremendous benefit to higher education over time all over the state.

The state has 30 bill as of now and I’m guessing we had to ask along with UT and A&M to get traction. We shall see but the LT gov is on board with it. This is a recent ask as of 2 weeks ago or so.

2 Likes

Wait a minute:
I thought we had a thread that this would be reserved to U of H and teetech?
MadcowsU and atm have the nerves to be asking for a share of this surplus?

Is this for real or is this a joke?

1 Like

No this seems different like another approach in addition or a reverse of course to get something and it was in the chronicle a week or so ago.

Seems we’re trying for whatever we can get

1 Like

It’s legit

You know there not going to be left out, at the trough.

3 Likes

The cows have a 42 billion dollar endowment and they want from this surplus? How could the state even justify this?

3 Likes

Why?

1 Like

As long as UH gets $1 billion for a permanent endowment of its own, I’ll let others fight for the rest.

1 Like

Prob more support but I agree those 2 don’t need it

That is not what the proposed bill is. Re-read it. Truly madcowsu and atm have no shame and every chance they get they intend to keep us down. This is not what Dan Patrick mentioned a few weeks ago. That is basically the opposite of it. I wonder what changed?
…WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED

I agree A&M and UT shouldn’t be a part of this and should be ashamed but guessing Khator etc needed more help. I think we could have been successful with just us and tech.

1 Like

IMO the PUF should be opened to all four years public universities. We are writing about education. We are not writing about just a few schools benefiting from it.
Watch out for JUCOS offering “trade” four years degree. This is potentially a HUGE game changer.
Why should I send my daughters to a University today?
It is a fair question.

2 Likes

The state has failed us again. And the rich get richer. They don’t deserve or need it

2 Likes

Was anyone foolish enough to believe UT/TAMU wouldn’t get in on the act?

3 Likes

That’s where I draw the line - community colleges should not enter the 4 year market to undercut the schools they are supporting

Some of those colleges have exploded due to taxing in high growth areas and have advantages some 4 year schools don’t

Why not?
I am 100% with you. But it is about customer demand. Furhermore the Texas policies decisions (including the PUF) tell us that logic is not synonymous with the Texas educational system. By refusing to give U of H, teetechand others a PUF share it sends a middle finger to all Texas tax payers that are not connected to these two schools.
I have always been in favor of trade schools. A welder, electrician etc can make a six or seven figure income. We have ignored for far too long these trade jobs. It can only benefit our economy. U of H wants to have a trade four years degree? By all means do it.

1 Like

That’s sounds ridiculous though. Why would we need them to hold our hand as we ask the state for money?

We were asking just with tech about 1 month ago with A&M etc so maybe this is a separate ask or we back tracked needing help , not sure .