Ukraine

If you understand what the Japanese did to China in the 1930’s, until the end of WWII you understand the reason why they feel the way they do about Japan. Rape of Nanking and all.

I think there are disputes with Philippines as well over waters and islands. But sending aircraft into
another countries airspace is pretty routine with the US and Russia “buzzing” each other routinely. So I was focusing on “hot” invasions , boots on ground, as the determining level of aggressiveness. From what I’ve read, and with your additions, I still see Russia as more aggressive to date since WW2. But hey, that’s just my personal take on “measuring aggressive” by hot invasion.

I would like everyone from refraining from calling the chinese dictatorship as China. Didn’t we call Russia as the Soviet Union? The chinese dictatorship’s official name is the People’s Republic of China. Do any of you think this is indeed the People’s republic?
Their “octopus” geopolitical influence now reaches all continents.
Africa is now being “bought” by them due to an immense array of natural resources. Unfortunately this includes military/bases operations. The English, French, Italians, Germans and us only have ourselves to blame.
South America via Venezuela, Bolivia and trying hard in Peru
Central America via the cuban dictatorship, multiple countries but now in the Bahamas too.
Asia - too many to name including the iranian dictatorship but their closest ally is off course North Korea.
Oceania - Australia is shaking in their kangaroo boots hence the new/controversial nuclear submarines deal.
The chinese dictatorship is doing what the Soviets did in the 60’s/70’s. Get as many countries with natural resources on their side to pay for their needs. It did not work.
It did not work because we had Mr. Reagan that answered the threat. The chinese dictatorship is replicating this strategy. Do we have a leader like Mr. Reagan?

No offense Bro, but it has been official State Department Policy since the Nixon administration to recognize ONE “China,” and that is the People’s Republic of China.

We do not recognize any other nation as “China,” though we maintain informal relations with Taiwan and sell them a ton of weapons.

We can still recognize a nation and its government, even if they are a rival or even an enemy nation.

In official government correspondence, the formal “People’s Republic of China” is of course used, but so is the informal “China.”

If you ask my wife which country she is from, she’ll say “China.” I’ll let you argue it out with her as to whether that’s proper or not.

Warning: don’t try. You’ll lose. My wife was born in Jiangxi, and maintains that she’s from “China,” no matter where you may say she’s from. I’d like to hear you tell her that she isn’t from “China” to her face. I suspect you’ll be in a lot of trouble if you do.

That is not the point uhlaw97.Nixon did it. So what? Do you think the Soviets got offended because we called them soviets instead of Russians? Your wife “escaped” the Chinese dictatorship I presume. She is free now. This is what America represents. The chinese dictatorship is a dictatorship not a free country.
Please extend my “Welcome to freedom” to your spouse.

My wife came here initially for school (Ivy League Architecture), stayed for work, and has applied for US citizenship. We are still waiting to hear back on her approval. The process can take many months.

She knows good and well that her home nation’s government is a dictatorship; she even participated in a Shanghai student protest against it around the same time as Tienanmen. Her parents were sent to the countryside during the Cultural Revolution. So given that, she’s no fan of the CCP or the Chinese government. But guess what?

Her home nation is still CHINA. She refers to it as such, and will probably scratch your eyes out if you call it anything else.

Friendly advice: don’t try.

China is still China and should still be referred to as such, even if its government sucks.

I know this process all too well. You play by the rules. Spend $30 to $40k while someone crosses the border and is not paying a penny while waiting for amnesty.
I blame it on politicians from both sides.
I have thought about it for many years about the real reason behind it.
The immigration lawyers lobby is one of the strongest in d.c. This is whom is behind the immigration crisis and a willingness to “redistribute illegals” in non friendly states.

P-S: the chinese dictatorship does not suck…IT KILLS or put you in a concentration camp.

It sucks PRECISELY BECAUSE it’ll put you in a concentration camp.

As I said, my wife knows that.

During the Cultural Revolution, as I mentioned, her parents were sent to a camp of sorts. She knows that as well as anybody.

And you wonder why Russia wants to invade the Ukraine. They want to join NATO. Russia feels surrounded.

And if you think that China and Russia suck, how ‘bout THIS???!!!???

1 Like

and the talibans have executed thousands in the last few weeks. This is from Amnesty International.
There is a reason xi proclaimed himself supreme leader for life…

Truth be told. US and NATO are powerless to stop Putin from invading if he chooses to. We are not going to have our cities incinerated by Russian nuclear missiles. Just like President Eisenhower encouraged Hungary to uprise against the old USSR, they did and the USSR sent tanks and troops in. We didn’t do anything knowing what the possible ramifications would be WWIII

Indeed.

There’s a thing known as “MAD” (Mutually Assured Destruction).

It deters war between nuclear armed powers.

That said, should Russia invade, there will be sanctions of an economic or diplomatic variety.

Perhaps we can all boycott Russian vodka.

I recommend Tito’s as an alternative.

Remember that there are FOUR instruments of national power: DIME (diplomatic, informational, military, and economic).

D, I, and E are in play, even if M is not.

So don’t says that we are “powerless.”

Military power isn’t the only instrument of national power.

Sanctions on them according Biden would be devastating according to him. They’ll manage just like Iran manages. Besides they got a strategic partner in China 2nd largest economy in the world. Sanctions would serve to just drive Russia further into China’s arms. It’s a conundrum. They must be punishment for invasion. With all said and done I don’t believe he will ever invade, it would be a quagmire. And he won’t be able to hide and burn dead soldiers corpse ( to hide the human cost of his adventurism from the Russian people) like he did with the invasion of Crimea.

I dunno man.

Russia took Crimea pretty easily.

We’ll see.

Not sure which Russian military will show up, the one that got bogged down in Chechnya, or the one that seized Crimea.

If you want to learn about Ukraine I highly recommend cartoons. European history is very complex and ever changing.

I’m beginning to think that as well. Sanctions will have no effect on them in my mind.
Covid is more likely to stop them from acting quickly. With reports of 90-100 thousand
troops on the border, that is their bargaining chip for…a) convince Ukraine to change
course on NATO aspirations ? b) get concessions from EU or US, on what exactly, is unclear to me at this time ?

I wonder if their military has a “vaccine mandate?”

Sanctions have to be targeted correctly to have the desired effect. In Russia’s case like most authoritarian kleptocracies you sanction the people you won’t be successful. You have to hit the oligarchs, the companies and Putin himself which is much much harder than just hammering the society who they don’t care about.

If you count cyber attacks, then just about every developed country has been a victim.

1 Like