Ukraine

Sure, depends on how you want to define aggressive attacks. N Korea, China, and Russia
all very active in the cyber attacks arena. I suppose, with some validity, a cyber attack is a form of an invasion. But I don’t think the 90,000 near the border are of there conducting cyber attacks on
Ukraine; but if a real invasion is imminent, you could expect disruptions to GPS data before and during.

Russia will never be allowed to join NATO

China Virus=Biological warfare…

1 Like

Need to go back and reread that.

No, Ukraine wants to be in NATO. That’s why Russia wants to invade.

1 Like

I really think Ukraine is a means to an end. It fits into traditional Russian Pan Slavism, just like when they supported the Serbs who shot Archduke Ferdinand, but more importantly it enhances their ability to face Turkey.

They’ve been fighting a proxy cold war in Syria and Libya for 7 years now, and I think this is the first thing that will go hot in the next few years (months?)

Turkey has gone Neo Ottoman (just ask your Armenian friends) and wants their empire back. They have traditionally been rivals to the Russians, and our chaotic wake of power vacuums in their joint backyard has encouraged them to get back in the game.

Our problem here is that Turkey is a NATO member, and could rightfully call us in. That’s a hard sell domestically right now, but do we want to risk failing an obligation to an ally? If we go in, it will be expensive and bloody and China will use the distraction to move on Taiwan and other neighbors. If we abstain, we’ll be humiliated in the world and China will feel free to move on Taiwan and other neighbors.

This is going to be messy and we’ll be lucky to survive it.

Agree, and kinda similar to our own Cuban missed crisis in 1962 when
Russia wanted to put missiles off the coast. We didn’t like it then; they don’t like
NATO next door now.

And just as North Korea manages, with supposedly the strictest sanctions ever.

Which leads to another question, when and where have economic sanctions worked or
failed as an effective tool/weapon ?

Sanctions worked in South Africa.

As I said, buy Tito’s, NOT Stoli.

Yes, I suppose that’s true. And more recently getting Iran to the table comes to mind.

Here is an article on it (effectiveness of sanctions) , that mentions 20 different
sanctions we currently have in effect. But it doesnt list them as best I can tell after a quick
scan…

In 2018, the last full year of available data, the United States added nearly 1,500 people, companies, and other entities to sanctions programs managed by the U.S. Treasury Department, nearly 50 percent more than in 2017

1 Like

Cuba. Well it kept them a third world anyway.

1 Like

The elite will eat and eat good, ie. North Korea, the citizenry not so much.

1 Like

Yes sir, it did. Sanctions against foreign adversaries that seek a regime change have
less success it seems; but maybe keeping them impoverished, without it turning hot,
is a “win” in some respects.

2 Likes

Russia was our Ally during WWll because we had a common enemy.

It would seem our Nation could convince Putin that China qualifies as a common enemy and thus end the hostilities and join forces.

Russia has an economy smaller than Texas and could use ties to Europe and the USA.

And that would surround China. Probably make them more interested in calming down their Military ambitions.

Yes they were after Germany turned on them and
broke their agreement.

I see China and Russia having more in common with each other, so I see it as natural relationship for them. Its number 2 and 12th economy vs US as number 1. And if you count EU, the west is still
comfortably ahead and India rising, economically.

Amazes me still that Russia is so active with space and such a potent military( nuclear missiles, subs, fighter jets and bombers, AND hypersonic missile technology) with only a 1.5 trillion dollar economy. To me that makes them unstable and more dangerous, and open to military adventures.

They should join NATO!

That’s the on paper economy, the black market and what they kleptocrats steal properly counted probably adds another 50% to the economy’s size.

Yep, and that was a 3 year old number I threw out. But let’s say you double it and peg it at
3 trillion economy. At a 35,000 foot view, it seems their military burden per economy size is way
out of kilter.

Getting the Islamic of Iran to the table?
REALLY?
Are any of you that naive thinking they will comply with IAA?
JUST yesterday the IAA came out with “stupor and disappointment” because they are not collaborating. We also find out that in about two weeks they will have nuclear power.
YOUR definition of diplomacy does not register with them. The only way to get them to “soften” them is to impose the hardest economical sanctions possible.
Our current administration made the decision so we are no longer energy independent. Who do you think benfits from it? Do you know how millions of barrels from Iran are sold on the black market? Yes a huge amount.
Carter played the role of EVERYBODY IS NICE AND DESERVES A CHANCE.
Tell that to the bloody dictators. Tell that the pandemic dictorship.
There is a reason why most ex communists inhabitants when they come to the U.S.A. vote for the right. Take a clue from them how friendly, rosy and peachy these societies are.
Your naivete is truly mind-boggling.