Ultra Double Secret

I’ve been checking r/collegebasketball for info on the scrimmage and haven’t heard anything. Hopefully Sampson gives the reporters some info during the next video conference.

Take with a grain of salt…from surlyhorns…

IT had this on the scrimmage.

Due to NCAA rules, there aren’t patrons in the stands at the scrimmages. What IT has learned is that Texas was pleased with the results. The Longhorns scrimmaged a Houston team that has the look of a top 25 team this season. That team plays very hard, had a couple of offensive threats to deal with as a team defensively, were disciplined on both ends and have a Hall of Fame level coach in Kelvin Sampson.

The Longhorns had several players play well on Saturday. Marcus Carr, Timmy Allen, Christian Bishop and Andrew Jones were mentioned. Jones’ perimeter shots weren’t dropping, but he continues to improve on both ends of the court.

The team has taken the coaching and understanding of what is expected defensively of them to the court thus far. The scrimmage Saturday was pleasing to the staff in that regard. The staff is not worried about the offensive capabilities of this team, and continues to be extremely happy with complete buy-in.

Transfer forward Dylan Disu didn’t take part in the scrimmage. There is a decent chance that the 6-foot-9 four-man will be fully released the week of the first game, and would likely play a few minutes to shake the rust off in game situations. Texas’ season opener is November 9. The hope is that Disu gets a couple of weeks of full-go practice in prior to the Gonzaga game November 13.

2 Likes

Like it or not Texas is loaded this year. Fortunately so are we
It was a dang scrimmage put together by two coaches who like each other.
A final score is totally irrelevant.
That said let’s play them in March!

3 Likes

Saying they are “pleased with the results” and aren’t “worried about the offensive capabilities” sounds like we won.

14 Likes

On Kylers snapchat story he put “big dubs” yesterday so I think they did just fine.

18 Likes

That’s the way I took it.

2 Likes

“The Longhorns scrimmaged a Houston team that has the look of a top 25 team this season. That team plays very hard, had a couple of offensive threats to deal with as a team defensively, were disciplined on both ends and have a Hall of Fame level coach in Kelvin Sampson.”

We won.

(… and here’s another secret for whorn to have to admit to and deal with … we’re only gonna get better this year and beyond … ssssshhhhhhh)

4 Likes

If Tramon Mark makes the leap he’s expected to this year, look out. We got shooters, scorers, defense, rebounding, and coaching.

1 Like

Many Bothans died to bring us this information.

11 Likes

Yep. We must have won.

Sampson likes Beard too much to say anything though.

Note: Hard for them to choke up that “they have the look of a top 25 team”. LOL. Considering whorn is getting run as top 10 (or 5?), how sportsmanlike of them to admit we’re top 25 after spanking some Bevo ass.

4 Likes

Everybody knows how arrogant UT is. We don’t need any special attention from them. We’re going to continue being amazing nationally and receive national attention

1 Like

Since Chris Beard And Kelvin Sampson are friends, any chance we can get a regular season game scheduled between the 2 schools?

3 Likes

Personally - I will only be happy if we have a Sampson the Elder media availabitlity - full of grousing and grumblig and “we might be a good team” but “we have a long way to go” and the newcomers are struggling but “there are some good players” -

I cannot profess to be fully able to translate Sampson speak - but I have learned to enjoy his media sessions and think I can get the gist of the underlying message when he is complaining (he only kvetches when he sees sufficient potential to develop).

2 Likes

As well as coming off a final 4 appearance in the same tournament that saw them lose to Abilene Christian…. Glad they think we are top 25

5 Likes

Both coaches have said they don’t like playing close friends so we will scrimmage them but don’t look for regular season game. Only COVID allowed us to play Tech with Beard last year.

1 Like

He seems to be a contrarian. If the reporter says something positive about the team, you get a story about how much work is needed in these areas but it’s not easy to see from the untrained eye. If the reporter tries to point out a negative, he will run down a list of stats showing you why that is not the case. You are going to get some interesting answers from him for sure.

2 Likes

He is just much smarter than any and all of the “reporters” !

3 Likes

I think people need to worry about getting a game with us now. We certainly don’t have to go hat n hand to anyone else anymore.

But I’d love an annual UT game played the same time every year.

I actually think the renewed rivalry would restore some sense of respect between the two schools.

4 Likes