University of Houston Endowment

These numbers don’t make assumptions on how much of the growth are: contributions vs investment growth. I will admit, when you have a lot of contributions, growth is a bit easier.

UHF’s grant percentage is an average 5% per year to UH. At those estimates 2019-2022 period, that’s like $25-35 mill to UH per year.

I also don’t think the board will do much from an activist perspective. From my experience, non profit boards are advisory and limited on how much effort they are willing commit.

On paper, UHF has grown the endowment by a factor of 4x, but does the board know/care enough to instill a different strategy?

The other thing is, based on optics, current management seems to be plugged into a certain class of people and perhaps they don’t want to buck that access.

The way Yale words it, it sounds like the rate is the investment return and not contributions.

During the decade ending June 30, 2021, Yale’s investment program added $13.0 billion of value relative to the results of the mean endowment. The University’s 20-year market-leading return of 11.3 percent per annum produced $30.6 billion in relative value. Over the past 30 years, Yale’s investments have returned an unparalleled 13.6 percent per annum, adding $47.0 billion in value relative to the Cambridge mean. Sensible long-term investment policies, grounded by a commitment to equities and a belief in diversification, underpin the University’s investment success.

That 11 or 13% average return is eye popping and frankly hard to believe it’s not counting
contributions. Probably need to look at many other schools to get a better idea.

If we add the UH contributions back in to the “return rate” then UH is in the same range of “investment returns”, but I could have goofed the math in between interruptions.

1 Like

The other thing is, based on optics, current management seems to be plugged into a certain class of people and perhaps they don’t want to buck that access.

The 3 year term of members may be too short , but I don’t know how often board members
do successive terms. Aggies have a 7 year term. Any idea who nominates and votes on board
members ? But, if as you say in these type of foundations, board members are passive,
it may not make any difference.

I’m not sure how long Mrs Neale has been the president of UHF but we know she was there
at least 22 years. By current management , do mean Mrs Neale ?

Yeah, it’s unreal. Even at getting 7-9% return would be an excellent goal to set. I redid the math based on the yale benchmark, but reduced the endowment by a 5% grant rate and a 4x cost multiple. It’s still a huge endowment from where we currently are:

Negative, no idea here. I just found them earlier this year when I was thumbing through Google and UH’s financials.

Correct. Unless any of y’all want to contact the IRS to get all the 990s since 1961, it’s safe to assume that she’s been running it for quite some time (since before 2000).

Latest UH endowment data recently just dropped. Down about $26 million but still over 1 billion.
From $1,051,000 to $1,025,000

Special note - 3, 5, and 10 year performance is stated as 11.3, 8.8, and 7.8

The UH Foundation website made a heck of an update:

https://universityofhoustonfoundation.org/

Hmmm…thanks for pointing that out .

Definitely more visually appealing. The old web page seemed to never change much
from years of watching it.

Still a little lite on specifics and details imho; let’s hope this is just first of many more
improvements to come.

Their BI is somehow worse - where are the commas?

Wait… it took a $33MM decrease in '22 compared to '21?! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

FY 2022 FY 2021 Variance
Endowment 158,687,511 187,690,658 (29,003,147)
Cash 13,484,908 15,876,501 (2,391,593)
Annuity 2,854,477 4,257,396 (1,402,919)
Total 175,026,896 207,824,555 (32,797,659)

Per the updated site: “The Foundation manages approximately 326 individually-named endowed funds. During fiscal year 2022, the Foundation disbursed $7.9 million to/or on behalf of the universities.”

The disbursements should be paid out of the endowment gains. I’m curious how the principal dropped by 16% - the investments must be in real estate and exposed to some volatility. Another idea is that a few funds might have paid out their principal for a purpose; however, we won’t see that until the 990 is released.

Yep, I missed that on the graphics. Lack of Commas or decimal points…is embarrassing :frowning:

Must be an internal work in progress project after someone got a “xxx for Dummies” book.

I’m not too surprised by the overall drop in value; think that’s common for many foundations for last
year.

Latest Q1 FY 2023 statements shows endowment up $17 million mostly due to appreciation in unrealized gains. Beginning balance of $1,025,477,974; ending balance $1,042,919,448. Contributions only come in as $1,700,000.

2 Likes

1 agree with you 100%! This would also stop those two leeches from getting into everything just so that they could tell state officials, “Y’all can’t let UH start that program, we already have it! That would be a duplication of what we already have and it would be a waste of state resources!”

4 Likes

Looks like it’s going to pass.

1 Like

Paywall. What is our take?

Seems like a small portion oof its is being given out based on performance metrics (research output, doctorate degrees awarded, etc), but the rest of it is being split 1/3 UH, 1/3 TT, 1/6 UNT, and 1/6 Texas State. My guess is it’ll come out to a little over 1 billion.

4 Likes

1.16 Billion. I still don’t think we should be sharing with Tech and for sure any of the other 2 schools. No one shared with us. Let them work for it first like they did us. We are academically better than Tech. We should be getting half. For sure better than UNT and TxSU.

While we should be celebrating it’s a little infuriating.

3 Likes

THIS IS GREAT NEWS! UH SYSTEM’S ENDOWMENT WILL BE $2-2.2B! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

@CMCoog17 Hard take, I know what you’re saying, but you gotta understand the endowment grouping others allows for efficient investment management for the Universities involved. I think this is a good thing: UH, Tech, UNT, and TXST has the opportunity to benefit the State of Texas as well as be partners to the benefit of the collective investment success.

1 Like

So latest 2Q23 filing has endowment back down $1,012,000,000 after taking a $42 million disbursement. Don’t recall exactly what this was targeted to be spent on; maybe HUB ?

Being that it’s an endowment fund, it is probably dispersed to various locations and expenditures as planned by the donators. I’m not sure how UHS reports the details.

1 Like