University of St Thomas Business School Dean resigns

St. Thomas dean resigns as Houston faculty calls him a ‘charlatan’ for allegedly lying St. Thomas dean resigns as Houston faculty calls him a 'charlatan'

Well in other news about UST, they are joining D3 sports. I’m hoping that they eventually make it to D1, it would be cool if the city got another D1 school.

1 Like

Hard to believe that a University of all places wouldn’t check a potential Dean’s academic credentials during their application process.

Academic credentials should mean more in academia, after all!

On the other note, it’s good to see UST competing in NCAA Division III. My undergrad college does as well.

UST is going to be in a pretty good Division III conference with the likes of Trinity, Colorado College, Austin College, etc.

In basketball, they could definitely contend for a tourney!

That’s good. The more schools trying to have athletics is good bc yrs ago, stupid people or haters at UH wanted us to drop athletics. UST realizes athletics promote the school. Prob the professors wanting UH to drop went to UT , Mich etc and didn’t care. This was yrs ago ,early. 90s, when ignorance arose at UH and lasted yrs till briles and maggard decided we can do this.

We had 10 yrs of ignorance , from 1993 or so till briles in the early 2001 or 2 or so.

3 Likes

This was 2 years ago that he was hired. It is unforgivable that those on the hiring
committee or president didn’t check out the academic claims.

On the other side of the story, you gotta admire the guys chutzpah for putting
it on paper and pretending it’s all real.

He’s the George O’Leary of college business schools!

Prob a case where they took his word for and didn’t think that someone that high up would lie.

Probably not his first job, so UST just checked his previous employer. It happens. But they should have vetted him better.

Hi, I keep hearing about people within UH administration wanting to drop athletics completely.

In my quest to educate myself about UH History & lore, are there any articles, books or official names you can point me to to go down the rabbit hole of UH Admin trying to get rid of UH Athletics?

I’d like to see the if there’s any correlation between athletics stagnation & UH Admin actively & purposefully keeping it down right after (or maybe even during) the SWC days.

They also bring more students to campus, which means more $$$. That’s a big driver for athletics at many D3 schools.

UST should be able to put together a great baseball program. Previously, the closest D3 to the Houston area was in Seguin, and they’re pretty salty every year. UST is the only D3 school in SE Texas.

No it’s just prof haters thinking they will get paid more if athletics wasn’t there and they hate trying to keep us down bc they went to other p5 schools and we’re an easy target vs asking tech to drop. The ship has sailed and we’re going to be stronger than ever but I was making a point about the 90s and how stupid that move would be

1 Like

I believe it was a professor named Simon Bott.

Tell them to have their alma mater drop athletics first then we can talk lol

We’d spend millions a yr marketing and it still wouldn’t have an effect of branding of the school. It’s why every school has athletics bc it’s invaluable to state and national notoriety.

1 Like

Unfortunately Dr Bott left the school a few years ago.

2 Likes

It happened in 1993.

The Faculty Senate took a vote to drop UH athletics to Division III.

See here:

Quote: In 1993, the Faculty Senate made a demand — abolish intercollegiate athletics — which led to a vote to recommend forgoing Division 1-A athletics in favor of education, citing concerns that the department could not sustain itself and would eat into other University budgets.

The vote passed 25-15, but the UH System Board of Regents denied the request, and UH remains to this day an athletics-oriented campus.

“I’d be surprised if we still had intercollegiate athletics in five years,” he told the Chicago Tribune in 1993 after the Faculty Senate’s vote. “Do we really want to be a part of the entertainment industry?”

There were also a few law professors, like Stephen Huber and Robert Palmer that worked hard on that effort.

1 Like

Check out the Patrick Nicholson book on UH, called In Time. It’s been
years since I read it, but my recollection was the guy that followed Hoffman,
Barry Munitz, was luke warm to college athletics. At least that’s the impression
I was left with. He took over in 1977 and was blessed to have the 3 out 4 SWC
championships under his run, but was not really attuned to capitalize on it and
feed it as it should have been.

1 Like

We had a stretch of Presidents beginning with Van Horn and continuing until Arthur Smith that were NOT allies of UH athletics.

Smith began to turn things around, and Renu, of course, has taken things to a whole new level!

2 Likes

Oh wow, I see it’s from 1977. I’m looking up ways to buy it online right now.

Do you know of anything like this, but more recent?

Thanks, this helps narrow down the time period where athletics were neglected, leaving right off at the point from which Renu would have to build off of.

I appreciate the help.