USFL

Perhaps years ago. Nobody drills a well now without knowing whether it will be dry or not. Shale plays are very predictable.

However, if you are correct, then they should have taken that name. Houston Wildcatters

I’m ALL IN for Saturday night and Sunday morning!

Go Gamblers!!!

That’s not true offshore but yeah, game is much different these days.

1 Like

I was thinking land based plays. The biggest gamble there is the price of oil and gas. Offshore is entirely different. Still directional but targets are different. Not certain how they would stack all the horsepower needed to frac an offshore well plus the enormous amount of water needed. Drilling for conventional reservoirs is nearly non-existent on land thus the “gamblers” (wildcatters) have all but disappeared. I would be reluctant to call anyone drilling offshore nowadays a gambler other than the entire oil industry is and always has been a risk

2 Likes

Well Houston was where The Gambler was born and raised

5 Likes

“Do we have to hear about Rogers 24-7?”

2 Likes

You are spot on about wildcatting
gone. Capital flowed to shale plays, which are much more like factory production lines
these are stratigraphic plays, meaning that the plays are across tens of thousands of acres, and you put a bit in the ground, you are gonna make a well (some better than others)

Conventional wildcatting was usually about 1 in 10 for new field discoveries, while I was in my early 20s (the 80s)

Times have changed.

I entered the oil and gas industry in 1977. It was the Wild West. Money flowed and people were crazy. It was a male only industry where pretty much anything was acceptable.

A lot depends on the completion and less on where the wellbore ended up because they always were able to keep the bit in the shale. I heard in Wyoming some of the shales were less than 100’ thick yet they maintained the drill bit in the shale for 1/2 mile. That is some technology.

1 Like

I actually have fond memories of sitting in the Dome watching Jim Kelly lead the Gamblers up and down the field. That offense was fun to watch.

3 Likes

Did a little research. Indeed the Balken is max 130’ thick but I was wrong on the laterals. Some are 10,000’ long. Wow!

Now back to basketball

1 Like

I keep a bit in a 10’ tall window for two miles in ND. But that’s probably a discussion for the Satellite.

Or maybe real estate/land speculation . . . . .

No, we were discussing the Gamblers which is oil field appropriate, particularly as its related to basketball

2 Likes

Interesting read from the marketing/viewers needed side.

Not a subscriber ? I have links for a free month. Message me.

In the Dakotas the Bakken Shale is the big formation. In Pennsylvania, it is the Marcellus, central Texas the Eagle Ford, West Texas the Wolfcamp, and in North Texas the Barnett (which started the shale boom with Mitchell Energy)
these are the primary formations, and there are dozens and dozens of other productive formations as well

I would point out that UH was founded by oil, specifically Hugh Roy Cullen, who was at one point, the richest man in the world. Forbes Magazine ran an article discussing the 10 Most Charitable families in America. In the Forward, they said “before we discuss the Vanderbilts, the Mellons, the Rockefellers, etc

” they pointed out that Old Man Cullen donated 10 times the money of all those other families combined in creating The University of Houston.

I am paraphrasing, but you get the drift

Absolutely astounding.

6 Likes

I sold completion fluids worldwide to the service companies, millions of gallons of friction reducers. My last job was convincing clients to use energized fracture fluids (N2 and CO2). No regrets on my 40 years in oil and gas.
Thank you UH for the engineering degree that opened the doors to a lucrative career.

6 Likes

Conflicted - want to root for the gamblers but scumlin ? Yeeesh

I lived in Michigan for original USFL but pulled for the Denver gold for some reason. Maybe I owe the panthers some fandom.

D’Juan Hines out there now

That first game tonight was AWESOME!

Ready for a USFL triple header tomorrow.

Go Gamblers!!! :game_die:

1 Like