Using a Manual Transmission

Interesting…

So why would anyone want one? Your car is less likely to get stolen, for one thing. Thieves prove as incapable of using a clutch as any other American. There have been multiple reports over the past year—in Cleveland, St. Louis, Detroit and Pleasantville, N.J.—of carjackers unable to drive away.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-dying-art-of-driving-a-stick-shift-clutch-gears-car-learn-europe-america-manual-transmission-11648408115[https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-dying-art-of-driving-a-stick-shift-clutch-gears-car-learn-europe-america-manual-transmission-11648408115](https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-dying-art-of-driving-a-stick-shift-clutch-gears-car-learn-europe-america-manual-transmission-11648408115)

2 Likes

I have had a couple.

One was an old ranch truck……the other was a SAAB sports sedan……it was fun to drive….got rid of it a few years ago but taught both my kids how to drive stick….

Drove a 5 speed for 9 years. Miss it.

1 Like

Love driving stick…have had quite a few over the years.

1 Like

Still have a 5 speed 2002 Nissan Frontier.

My mechanic said the truck would outlive me

2 Likes

I’ve had a few…

87 Nissan Sentra
89 BMW 535
90 BMW 325i convertible
69 Ford F100 pickup with 3 on the tree

The 535 is my all time favorite to drive. Great car.

The F100 was “interesting” to drive when I first got it: no power brakes & no power steering but added those features myself later. Made it less taxing to drive. Left leg got a workout with that stiff clutch.

1 Like

I had 3 spanning 15 years. I would never own one again as my every day car. As a weekend/fun car…absolutely.

1 Like

Drove a stick-- Mazda RX7 for several yrs in the 80s. It was quick/fast n can get away from ya as I unfortunately learned. :exploding_head::woozy_face:

Until my Ford Ranger almost every car I’ve owned was a manual transmission. I finally got tired of clutching every 3 seconds in Houston traffic. If I lived farther out, wouldn’t be against owning another manual shift vehicle. Manual shifting makes you engage with driving, which can be a cool feeling even if your ride isn’t a muscle car.

1 Like

Had a couple of Mustangs one a Mustang II with a 4 speed and then one with a 5 speed. Loved driving them.

1 Like

I wished everyone would learn how to drive with a stick.
Think about teens and texting. What a deterrent.
I had a few sticks. Love them. You are truly in control of your vehicle be small, large, fast or slow.

1 Like

I bet that 69 Ford with the three on the tree was a hoot….never had an opportunity to drive one.

Drove a stick up the Gulf Freeway in stop and go traffic for a few years while attending UH. The drive from Pasadena/Clear Lake was miserable at 7:30 in the morning. Clutch in, clutch out. Over and over and over and over.

Had a 04 Acura RSX type S 6 speed. Loved that car but it got me into a lot of trouble. Burned the clutch once and pushed it about 2 miles home. I enjoyed driving manual even in traffic but i definitely know it had it’s advantages and disadvantages.

I have only ever bought manual transmission cars. Drive one every day.

I like the theft deterrent aspect, but I still think it should be mandatory for those under 21 to drive only manuals. It makes you learn to pay attention on the roads and be more involved in the driving process. Not to mention it is harder to text and browse the web with both hands needed for driving.

I like it because it is more fun and engaging to drive. My car is about the trip, not just getting from point A to point B. Why just throw away that time if you can make it just a little bit more interesting safely.

1 Like

Yes it was cool but kinda dangerous to drive when I first got it. I rebuilt the front end suspension and the front drum brakes were challenging to adjust (if one wheel braked first, the truck would veer sharply to the braking side). :grimacing:

I drove it on weekends and to haul light stuff around. I can’t imagine it as a daily driver in Houston stop & go traffic, though.

1 Like

I drove a truck in Afghanistan with a manual transmission. Big pain in the butt.

Would never choose one…especially not in a place with as much traffic as Houston.

2 Likes

Driven a manual all my life. My dad said if you can drive a manual you can drive a car anywhere in the world. So true when i lived in europe, driving a manual was a must.

Learned in a truck with three on the column. Driving a manual in traffic does suck

True story. About 20 years ago I still smoked and left my house one night to buy a pack at a convenience store around the corner. I was two houses down from mine when a young man appeared in front of me on the sidewalk; I instinctively knew I was in trouble. Just as he reached my side he swung his arm toward me but missed as I jumped into the easement. He had a stun gun and made threatening gestures saying that I would take him back to my house and give him money. I looked at him, my house two lots away, and my pick-up with a stick shift sitting in the street. I threw my car keys at him saying, “Take my car, it’s worth more.” Startled, he caught the keys, ran toward my truck while I ran the opposite way thinking, “That young kid can’t drive a stick.” Sure enough, I looked back at the corner to see him running down the street in the opposite direction with the door of my truck left open. He kept my keys because, when he eventually broke in and stole a car with a GPS system, the cops were able to track the car and found him and his loot (including my keys) staying in an abandoned house. Two days later I got a call from Kroger’s telling me to call a police detective at number blah-blah as my Kroger’s card was attached to the key chain. So, I got the satisfaction of going to a police station and identifying the jerk in a line-up. Moral being, I love stick shifts and always have an identifying card attached to my key chain.

6 Likes