Verlander gone

JV brought us two championships, he doesn’t owe anyone anything. I don’t get calling him a diva and saying he’s only out for himself. Guys been a great player, teammate, and leader for us. He wanted a three year deal at market value and we didn’t want to give him that. Both parties excercised their right to do what they felt was best for them. No need to bad mouth him.

2 Likes

I think you are absolutely wrong….I think he has been far from a great teammate and he did not deliver us anything……he was a piece, a valuable piece but so we’re many others……

In the playoffs it was the others that picked up his slack….not going to pull out numbers to prove it because that isn’t the point.

And if you don’t think he was a “diva” as I said then I encourage you to dig a little deeper….the Astros do a great job of keeping a lot of things quiet….as they should….but if you think the players were okay with him being gone for the better part of two years and barely showing up to support them you would be wrong.

I’ll leave it at that….we will not agree.

3 Likes

I have heard the same thing about what his teammates thought about him behind closed doors. It is an I, me, my world out there. Don’t see anything changing about that. The genie is out of the bottle.

1 Like

JV did a lot for the Astros, but the Astros did a lot for him too…almost certainly, he would not have had two WS titles had he stayed with the Tigers, and he most likely would not have been this close to 300 wins had he stayed with the Tigers. Additionally, although he might not technically owe Crane anything, Crane did pay him 50M for six innings in 2020-21 as was mentioned before…nice work if you can get it.

2 Likes

F him.

2 Likes

I don’t think he was a diva, and he did a lot for the Astros when he was here. He didn’t perform at his best in the playoffs but without him who knows if we win the division. Jose Altuve said “I literally love Justin Verlander.” I’m sure he wasn’t perfect. So many of us are “unlovely.”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Literally.

1 Like

Yah there’s zero chance we win a title in 2017 or 2022 without JV. He did his part while in a Houston uniform. Team chose not to resign him. No reason to hold it against him. Just makes you look like a bad fan.

I’m not quite at the F him phase but I could be convinced. Pollard is right. Apparently Dusty took a straw poll of the players about who would be the team captain. It was an emphatic “no” to Verlander and the time away with little communication was the big thing.

But he did a good job getting back into form. He was a workhorse and did his part and more. But I agree too about the greed of people sometimes. You have it made here. You’re adored by the fans, people don’t throw urine on you in Houston. You can go to the corner store without being mobbed. Your family is relatively safe in the sequestered neighborhood where you live. And you’re the figurehead of a potential repeat champion. What the Hell is the value of 10 million more vs leading a potential dynasty into the history books. Maybe the allure of NY and the bright lights of the BA was too much.

That little bit extra is what defines some people.

1 Like

You could say the same thing about Correa and Springer, and most Houston fans still love them both. I know I do. Cole was another one but I don’t miss him as much… he’s closer to a Verlander… they were hired guns and they did their jobs…

He was paid 66 million for 6 IP

1 Like

It’s not really worth arguing about. You have missed the entire point anywa
No one ever said he wasn’t a big part of our success, not the point at all….
Calling me a bad fan is kinda stupid when your comprehension of what my post was about was never even broached by you…… Three or four different people had heard or confirmed what I was talking about in my original point.
You just have a lazy take without recognising facts.
What’s silly is that my original post was not to incite any kind of wicked debate…. It was just my opinion and I said some my not agree.
So you telling me I’m a bad fan and I’m bad mouthing him is boorish at best.

1 Like

Except none of those other guys missed two entire seasons while drawing over $50MM. There’s not really an argument that any of them “owed” anything back to the team/owner that paid full freight for two years and got nothing in return (not even leadership or support for the team). It’s kind of an insult to lump them in with JV, honestly.

2 Likes

We both have our own lens on this. Yours is that JV is a diva because he took time away from the team to recover from injury and be with his family. And apparently should’ve taken a pay cut so that Jim Crane could line his pockets. I guess coming back from TJ at 39 isn’t enough sacrifice in your books. Even though he won the Cy Young and helped the team win a 2nd WS. Let’s be real, 90% of guys retire in JVs situation. Most of the guys that do come back aren’t gonna be effective. Some of y’all seem to think he owes the team for collecting a check while hurt. Gonna just have to get over that one. He’s entitled to his money same as any other injured player in the sport. And if you are going to fuss about it, at least acknowledge how the team got his production this year for a bargain. And how we could’ve locked him into a 3+ year deal for way less than he just got, the previous offseason but the FO didn’t feel like he was good investment. Dozens of guys have come and gone from this team over the last couple years. It’s the nature of the modern game. If you’re gonna begrudge someone for leaving, begrudge Cole because of the way he left. Begrudge Springer and Correa for bailing on the team that drafted and developed them. Don’t begrudge the rental who came to the team “over the hill” and gave us 4 dominant seasons and 2 titles. Especially when the team/owner let him walk. And yes, JV could have taken a 10 million dollar pay cut to stay but none of us would do that in his position, so it’s hardly something worth hating him over. Only thing the guys guilty of is being good and old. If he wasn’t good, y’all wouldn’t care that he signed with someone else and if he were younger, the team would’ve resigned him. If you don’t want to root for the dude at his next stop that’s cool but dragging him for leaving isn’t a good look, imo. To each their own though.

So… Does Verlander go into the HOF as an Astro, Met or Tiger…?

Tiger would be my guess unless the Mets literally have contract stipulation requiring him to choose them lol

CY Young, WS win and 2 WS Titles with the Stros…

1 Like

I’m betting Tiger.

1 Like

2 cy youngs

Couldn’t remember that… So… Yeah… I think he might go in as a Stro…