Ward on last night's comeback

With that magical comeback against Memphis in a sold-out TDECU IN 2015, Kyle Postma will always be a COOG LEGEND in my book!

6 Likes

After being away from Houston for quite a while, I returned just in time to see Postma run ONE play. He came in and ran to the right, got hit, broke his leg and did not play the rest of the game (I believe, Memory fails me). Feel free to refresh my memory . . . . .

If you are talking about the Memphis game in 2015, Postma came in late in the 1st half and led us to our firs score and then played the whole 2nd half leading the comeback scoring the go ahead TD on a keeper. You can watch the whole game above. Postma also played most of the following game against UConn, our sole loss of the year. In the Peach Bowl, he came in late, when Ward got hurt again, and led us to our final score as well.

2 Likes

Are you thinking about Adam Shulz who was our original back up QB for 2015, but then tore his ACL so Postma became our back up?

Postma would never buy his own drink in my presence. That 2015 game is one of the best I’ve attended in person. Made an especially sweet victory after seeing the Memphis players taunting the crowd when they were running up the score early.

1 Like

Pretty sure hes talking about 2016 when Postma broke his arm against Tulane

1 Like

This 100%

I had completely forgotten about that

Two backups in the Hall of Fame of UH comebacks:

Terry Elston, may his soul RIP;
Kyle Postma.

Such great memories.

4 Likes

Danny Davis was a good QB and the Coogs rose to the occasion when entering the SWC.

FWIW, I became a Coog in the mid-60s when Bo Burris was a sophomore and I was a young teenager.

2 Likes

At the time I graduated from high school in 1965 I was an LSU fan.

Geaux Coogs!

There are some Coogs that have not had prominent roles but rose to the occasion when their number was called. Terry Elston is one of those guys. He never started a game, but in 1979, came into the game at aTm with 39 seconds left and led us to the winning TD after two passes to Eric Herrin to get us down to around the 12 and then ran it in for the winning TD. Coogs 17 – Aggies 14.

That same season he again came off the bench in the last couple of minutes with the Coogs down 14-10 to Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl. He led a long drive and threw the winning TD to Eric Herring with 12 seconds left. Coogs 17 – Huskers 14.

9 Likes

Case was awesome, but Ward is just a notch above him! Ward has eyes behind his head that let him know when to take off running when the defenders are about to smash into him! So many times any other QB in Ward’s situation would have taken a sack, but not Greg Ward! He took off running before the defenders could lay the wood on him! Not only did he take off running at the right time he also made them pay by scrambling for a 1st down or a TD! I have no doubt if an NFL team gives him a chance he would be one of the top QB’s in the NFL!

I bet you’re a little pissed Nick Saban quit LSU and then later became the head coach for Bama! Just imagine all of those championships he could have won for LSU!

1 Like

People forget that Case did have some mobililty but not lik Ward. This Ward vs Case debate all comes down to personal preference and I think when a person felt most connected UH Football personally during the two QBs eras. Some UH fans really fond over a QB that has running ability like Ward while others might look at what Case meant to the program as a whole that 5 years before was in the abyss. To me you have to go with Ware because of the Hiesman, then Case because he brought UH to national relevance again and broke college records in passing that might never be broken, then Ward because he took what Case laid the foundation for with the resurgence of UH Football and won more with games with it.

1 Like

While I still pull for LSU as my second choice, I don’t get worked up about them too much anymore. But I enjoy seeing them do well since my sister graduated from there and my nephew is a huge Tiger fan.

Case had better OC’s in Holgerson and Kingsberry.

Ward had

well, no one really :sunglasses:!

1 Like

His final two years at UH, Case was basically a Co-offensive coordinator on the field. He was the college version of Payton Manning always changing plays at the line not having to look back towards sidelines for a different play. He was in complete control of the offense on the field. That is why when he is done with the NFL, I want Case as a offensive coordinator at UH. With QB experience in college and the NFL along with knowing Danas offense and offenses from the NFL he would be a great coordinator

3 Likes

Ward and Keenum are my 2 favorite coogs (i only started following in 2009). One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is how much NFL talent was on our team when Ward was our QB and how little NFL talent was on our team when Keenum was QB. I think the 2016 team that demolished Louisville would have crushed our 2011 team that beat Penn State, but i would take Keenum over Ward if I had to pick a QB.

Btw, my 3rd favorite is Trevon Stewart, I hope he’s in a good place.