We are currently SECOND in the conference!

Yeah they are putting up good offensive numbers and playing good defense.

ECU smacked Memphis, last three games are against Houston. Interesting

After this week, we are still in 2nd place.

1st place isn’t categorically out of reach!

1 Like

As aggravated as I get with UH baseball and despite the weak schedule and conference I must admit I am surprised we have hung as tough as we have.
We are a couple of pitchers from being really good.
Go Coogs!

3 Likes

Like saying, “either your signature goes on the paper or your brains do.”

2 Likes

If you fire a coach after winning the conference, you set a bad precedent. Like we are so much better than just winning the conference. Players would think, what else do we have to do, recruits would think what coach is good enough. You would probably go down in rebuilding year, then what? Why not build on momentum of winning conference, things are only going to get tougher in B12. Why start a new conference rebuilding, and you always rebuild with a new staff.

Our president said we fire football coaches who go 8-4. I would think CTW would kill to win 2/3 of his games. I don’t have a problem firing a coach who wins 60% of his games against weak competition.

3 Likes

Actually we fired Helton after he went 7-4 including a rare win at LSU

2 Likes

If we make the playoffs and are on the fringe of having a great recruiting year things could change.
Not sure any of that will happen

1 Like

PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Ryan Hernandez, Sr., 1B, Houston

Not sure if this snuck by anyone

also , 28 home games to 17 road at this point

1 Like

Double edged sword. Home games are great for revenue and the fans. Road wins help RPI.

2 Likes

“Players would think what else do we have to do?”

No sir, they wouldn’t

they would know exactly what else they had to do
.maybe a few of the players are naive, but I guarantee you the players were disappointed when they saw how weak the schedule was
.any player that’s worth his salt wants to beat good competition, not sisters of the poor
.these players don’t get hyped over beating Western Carolina , UTRGV and HBU, etc.

“ Recruits would think what coach is good enough?”

Recruits want a coach that will help them get better and allow them to show their skills against top competition.

“ You would probably go down in a rebuilding year”

If the right guy is chosen you get better in a hurry

this is not football or basketball where you need to rebuild for three or four years.

5 Likes

4 Big 12 teams. OK State still #3.

1 Like

Pretty sure the majority of the board would want to fire CTW even if we make the tourney. Hell even if we win a regional.

4 Likes

I certainly think we are over due for a change, but I disagree. If we won a regional and played in a Super Regional and had a great recruiting haul there is no way in hades he would be fired. I would once again become a Whitting fan.
But at the same time I this it is dilutional to think this will happen. We in all probability will not win the AAC nor do I think we have the pitching to win the conference tourney.
There is a chance, maybe a small one, that we get picked at large. That might save his job for a short while, just enough to get embarrassed in the Big 12

I don’t dislike Whitting at all, in fact the times I have talked to him he has been very cordial. But my thinking is that he is burned out, has lost his touch in recruiting and has had a hard time keeping productive assistants

3 Likes

I sometimes wonder if this board should be renamed CoogDels rather than CoogFans - (ie: short for “Delusional” rather than “Fanatical”.

Even though UH doesn’t rank anywhere near the Top 20 percentile in alumni support and contributions among major U.S. colleges & universities, some folks on here seem to think that UH should rank in the Top 20 (ie; top 10% percentile) annually in all the major sports or UH should “fire” the coach.

[Kind of makes you wonder if this is really some kind of a closet Tea-sip or Aggie kind of board.]

Lol, having a bad day? All of us want the Coogs to win at everything. Fan and alumni support is another issue totally out of our control.

1 Like

If that’s not what we aspire to be, then wth are we doing?

And nobody wants to fire someone after one or even two bad years.
But when there is a downward trend that doesn’t look like it’s going to get better, then yes time to bring in someone else.

My job demanded that I was not just average but really good at it
.most years the results were there and when they were not I was the most upset about it and knew exactly what went wrong and fixed it

As far as the alumni support you realize you are preaching to the choir here don’t you?

Yes, I expect them to be in the top 20 in the country in everything including, softball, womens basketball, track, golf and everything else.

2 Likes

True
but
it doesn’t matter if you’re P5/G5/Indy in baseball. If you can’t be consistently successful in the Greater Houston/Southeast Texas region in baseball as a major D1 program, you got some issues in your program IMHO. Fresh approach and change of direction

Gonzaga, UCONN, Tx St and So Miss are all ranked in Top 20 
ZERO excuses for our baseball program to be where it’s at

3 Likes