We’re #2. Bama jumped us

I am not too concerned with the #2 ranking this week. Disappointed, yes, but not unexpected. Let’s face it: 1) head-to-head, Alabama beat UH at the FC (that’s weighing heavily in people’s mind) and 2) Alabama won a road game on Saturday against a 17-8 Auburn team, in a hostile environment vs UH winning a home game against 5-18 Tulsa team.

My hope is the team subconsciously uses this to fuel their fire against SMU and Memphis. It is better to chase than be chased.

4 Likes

Neither was Marcus for Bama but you never hear that mentioned

Let bama take that #1 heat

2 Likes

I forgot about Sasser not being 100% for Bama.
That means we have a good chance to beat them in a potential rematch.

Ironic that Sasser was slowed by an eye injury against Bama.
We were talking about Lew Alcindor and he was also slowed by an eye injury in his # 1 vs. # 2. loss to the Coogs - his eyes were scratched in a previous game.
That’s why he wore goggles his entire career - to keep his eyes from getting scratched.
Sasser also wore goggles for the Bama game but couldn’t shoot well with them and took them off every time he tried to shoot a free throw.

1 Like

UH basically shut down Brandon Miller!!!

1 Like

Not the end of the world and I’ll tell you why. If they’d ranked Bama #2 and they went to Knoxville and beat the Vols they were jumping us anyway. They ranked them #1 instead and if they lose to Tennessee we’ll jump them. Either way the Tennessee game looms large.

If UH had this record playing in the B12, we’d be #1 this week.

2 Likes

I always look at the voting points n the polls. We garnered 20 more points this week from last and are 5 points closer to first. But, where you really notice a difference is between #2 and #3. Last week we were 47 points ahead of #3. This week we’re 95 points ahead and 201 points ahead of #4 UCLA. Last week we were as low as #7 on a ballot, we’re no lower than 3rd on any ballot and there’s only 7 of those.

While it’s only the AP poll, it the NCAA that really matters, you are seeing #1 and #2 separating from the pack.

Seth Davis asking all the right questions about the Alabama-Houston flip flop. I always liked his old man. Doing him proud being in the middle and objective. His last tweet is interesting… Purdue beats NW, UH remains at 2 or drops to 3…?

Ooh boy lots of SEC/Bama jock riders on Seth Davis Twitter lol

So they beat the same Auburn team that got punked by Memphis… and West Virginia, Georgia and Texas A&M twice??? I think we understand now that Auburn is a very average team.

6 Likes

SEC fans always think their bottom and middle of the pack teams would win the natty if it weren’t for their top team.

1 Like

Yup. Bama is a contender but after that it’s a major fall off, when the consensus is your second best team is a Rick Barnes coached team then its a big red flag

If Memphis had to play the Vols in the R32, then Memphis would win running away imo

I’m fine with it. Sure it’s dumb and the justification is terrible but as long as we’re top 3 it doesn’t matter. The #2 ranked AP poll team typically does far better in the tournament than the #1 ranked team anyways. And on top of that, let’s remember that The AP poll doesn’t really matter. We’re one of the top teams in the country no matter what

Looks right to me, lose at home, they should be higher.

Let’s see…

we were ranked #1 in the regular season during the Big E era and lost.

we were ranked #1 in the regular season during the PSJ era and lost.

We’ve been ranked #1 twice this season and lost twice.

A high seed is all we need to start the tournament. If we are truly the #1 team in the country, it’ll prove out in March. First we have to win the Sweet 16 and Elite 8. Final Four in Houston. It’s a dream scenario for UH to play for the NC at NRG Stadium.

I only hope the dream has a happy ending. Until then, I don’t want UH to be ranked #1 until the final poll comes out.

1 Like

I mean we’ve lost every year we weren’t ranked #1 as well. We reached the #1 ranking twice prior to this season. 1967-1968 and 1982-1983. We made the final four in both seasons. I get why people downplay the ranking but its typically a pretty good indicator of things to come.

2 Likes

Honestly, Bama/Houston being #1 both have an argument.

#2 is still good, and Bama plays #6 Tennessee in their next game. Our shot at #1 isn’t theoretically over although we do have to win out as well.

I agree that had Purdue won, Bama would still be #3. This was a weird AP poll for sure, but again both teams have justifiable arguments

I’m greedy I want to see one poll where UH gets all 62 votes. Unanimous. Will need two Alabama losses and one more for Purdue to capture the holdouts. Final poll incorporates the conf tourneys so we got a shot

I think you can add Baylor to this top 3 mix.
Let’s see if they keep it up.