Wedge between religion and government redefined

Latest from this court. Not good,

The goal is to shift tax payer dollars to pay for private school (preferably Christian schools) and in the process keep gutting the public school system.

From what Iā€™ve read, the law referred to a program that gives parents in rural districts with no public schools money to attend private school or more distant public schools.

Problem, no money for religious schools.

That amounts to discrimination against religion. Why money for non-religious private schools, and no money for religious private schools?

Sounds like a 1st amendment issue to me!

1 Like

The Maine case is unique in that no public schools are available, which is why the tuition assistance is given.

I expect, though, a raft of cases will follow looking for a broader ruling.

4 Likes

That is a bingo!

Abbott wants vouchers, but so far the Texas legislature has resisted. It may be there is not enough support for this to become law. Funny how one thing leads to a cascade.

Easy, government is then in business of endorsing a religion. Two lower courts got it right.
Not so much these justices.

Agree, there will be an avalanche of religious schools going after public money now. There is
a crack created in the wall between church and state.

No it is too give people a choice, now we donā€™t have one unless you pay twice. If the public schools are better they have nothing to worry about

Do you know what the seperation of church and state means? Ifciv the tax payer want my $ to go to xyz church school that does not violate the seperation of church and state. Only if it only allowed $ to go to certain church schoolsc and not others

I think if the parochial schools all shut down, the public school systems in many states would be overwhelmed. The parents of students at these schools pay school taxes, I really donā€™t see a problem with it. I think Louisiana had some sort of assistance for parochial schools when I was a kid and used that as a reason. But that was a long time ago and I could be mistaken and may have only been told that by my parents. I only went to public schools.

Honestly, we have a hard time understanding your posts. ā€œseperationā€ has to do with getting on
that slippery slope you are so fearful of for guns. If you canā€™t see where this headed, you are just not trying very hard or donā€™t want to see.

2 Likes

Kind of random, but public funds shouldnā€™t be used to prop up private schools just like public funds shouldnā€™t be used to fund abortions. Compromise.

2 Likes

Bring it

Nobody is advocating shuttering these schools, but yes there would be some burden on public
schools if the religious school all folded. Interestingly enough, seems like catholic religious schools have been on a big slide since the 1960s. Some of this is pandemic fallout probably. But still,
with the population increase from the 60ā€™s to now, to see this type of drop is surprising. Maybe itā€™s
just a Catholic thing.

Between the 2019-2020 school year and the current year, nationwide enrollment dropped by 110,000 to about 1.6 million students. Back in the 1960s, enrollment was more than 5 million.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/catholic-schools-us-hit-unprecedented-enrollment-drop-75753201

Public schools need more funding and not less. The parents that insist on religious dominated
schooling need to pay for their choices.

1 Like

What??

Iā€™m not sure what you are trying to say. What are you lacking, or in need of, or advocating
for now ?

Itā€™s in plain english

They waste $ and get less in return than most private schools. All Iā€™m saying if my kid wants to go to a catholic school my tax dollars should go to that school. Yours can go where your kids go

Thatā€™s not true. Endorsing religion is choosing one over another, which isnā€™t the goal or the result of this decision.

And there isnā€™t a ā€œseparation of church and stateā€ at least not in the US Constitution.

When the Catholic Church pays taxes we can discuss it.

3 Likes