Wedge between religion and government redefined

How do you reach those conclusions that they waste dollars ? Granted, I see some of the
school districts building athletic facilities that rival some colleges, and I wonder at times if that
is wasteful or excessive . But what waste are you referring to ?

Likewise, what criteria are you using that public schools are doing less in return ?

“make no law respecting an establishment of religion”

Non-profit organizations pay no federal taxes. Religious or secular. Churches shouldn’t be singled out.

I think the focus here is on property tax, the primary means of funding the schools.
I was under impression they don’t pay property taxes either, or is that incorrect ?

They do not pay any taxes of any kind to anyone.

From taxfoundation.org:

Churches, like all charities and virtually all nonprofits, are not subject to local property taxes. Unlike with business income taxes, this is not an inevitability. Nothing theoretically prevents states from authorizing local taxation of nonprofits’ land and buildings, and the nature of property taxes may even argue in favor.

Besides getting labeled as a godless communist and getting steam rolled at the ballot box :wink:

I was reading that even clergy homes gets some type of property tax relief, but not clear on the
extent.

I didn’t think anyone was advocating shuttering the parochial schools, just that they take a lot of pressure off of the public school systems. I think one of the reasons enrollment at Catholic schools is dropping is due to a couple of things. One, the economy and the high cost of Catholic schools. Two, I think there is less and less church attendance in all denominations.

NR, a lot of the clergy housing is owned by their church and not them. I think this is normally the case for Methodist churches where the parsonage is church owned and the pastors are temporary. Most Methodist pastors move every 4 years or so and live in the parsonages instead of having to buy and sell homes every time they are relocated by the bishop and DS.

Its to keep the state out of church bit the other way around. Tax dollars are the peoples $ not the state

I think you are correct, i don’t think clergy get taxed in their housing allowance

Can someone translate this?

If private religious schools get to use tax payer money for school they should be taxed.

1 Like

So I believe his first part is that the separation of church and state via the establishment clause. Is to protect the religion from the state, not the state from the religion. Personally I think a strong wall is best for both. Good fences make good neighbors.

Do public schools get taxed?

The concern will be if they are for profit or not.

Most catholic schools are not, the church usually subsidises it

I wouldn’t expect many private schools to be. If they are though, they should be taxed.

1 Like

You can do a search and find articles pointing out abuses, the Houston Chronicle having done a series. Unless it’s abusive, like Kenneth Copeland’s mansion, I’ve no problem with a tax exemption, and I’m a godless capitalist.

I agree if they are for profit they should pay taxes

I’m not sure if it’s just a Catholic or a protestant thing or both, in regards to declining
enrollment. I would suspect all are seeing declines based upon your reason Two above.
I don’t think it’s so much about economics , since Americans real disposable income has
been on an upward trajectory for awhile.