Wedge between religion and government redefined

There are many others going in the other direction too.

For there to be leftist indoctrination, it would need to be systematic and coordinated. Unless there is some sort of a widespread conspiracy going on, this isn’t a thing.

So you fully support discrimination?

What others, segregated public schools?

But let’s also be clear here. They’re only happy for the Catholic schools, Christian privates, and depending on your city/state Jewish schools. It’s a mortal lock that they are going to get real huffy when the Church of Satan or a madras for Islam gets some public funds.

1 Like

Taxpayer money for the school of the jihad…Fox news would lose its mind

I can already hear the popped blood vessels. Oh what if we get a Nation of Islam school that’d be a lot of fun.

I’m a Christian. I’m active in my church and even teach Sunday School. That said, I wouldn’t send my kids to a private school run by a church (assuming I have a good public option, who knows what could happen in the future).

And if we start down path discussed in this thread (which I’m ok with), I’m good with any other religion being included.

3 Likes

Yes, but you’ve established yourself as…not crazy. Can’t say the same for others

2 Likes

Do you mind if I use you as a reference? This is going on my resume. I need to find a way to cash in on such accolades. :rofl:

2 Likes

I put on my resume …Occasionally combative on message boards, with the ocassional :heart:s for some of my posts.

I listed a few of your handles as references, I am applying to be some sort of social media influencer…lol

I have to admit though. It does seem a bit unfair that non-sectarian private schools, such as my own high school (St. John’s), Waldorf Schools, etc., would be eligible to get money from the state, and private religious schools not.

As I said, seems to discriminate against religion, which is indeed a Constitutional no-no.

I mean, if you want to prevent government money from getting in the hands of ALL non-public schools, then fine. I’m cool with that.

But you can’t tell one non-profit private school that they can get money from the state, and another that they can’t, based upon religion.

RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION!!!

No we are talking private religious schools

Not true it would be too all religious schools

You want tax payer money to go Islamic schools?

Yep, if the parents of those kids who paid their property taxes want them to go there, I’m all in!

I’m calling bul**hit!

1 Like

It’s one of those things said, that people are ok with until it’s put into practice.

Kind of like housing… “We need more affordable housing!” Ok here’s where we will put affordable housing. “The hell you are! That will tank my property values. I meant affordable housing far away from me.” It’ll be an extension of NIMBY.

I certainly wouldn’t object.

I have many Muslim friends. I even helped some of my Afghan Muslim interpreters get special immigrant visas to the USA by writing letters of recommendation. I still stay in touch with many of them. Granted, I don’t know of any that send their kids to a Muslim school, but if they did, and a law of this type applied, then by all means that school should get its share of the money as well, as far as I’m concerned.

If you want to pull public money from ALL private schools, then as I said, fine.

But you can’t pull it only from religious private schools, including Muslim schools, while giving it to non-religious private schools.

DISCRIMINATION BASED ON RELIGION, as I said, and that’s a big legal/constitutional/philosophical no-no.

I’m good with that, it just means in this case Maine and other states have to stop being lazy about their educational systems and do the work. Tough noogies I guess. I’m a strict believer that the wall between church and the state itself should be so effective and strong that it’s the shining example to conservatives of how other less metaphorical walls should be built.

1 Like

What about people who don’t have kids or who’s kids are already out of the school system? Should they be able to pick the schools that get their money?

Using the HISD tax rate of $1.0944 per $100 valuation, and a home valuation of $300,000 that comes to $3,283.2 per year.

So should the voucher, if authorized only be that amount which you paid in taxes and then you make up the rest in the tuition to the private school? Or do you think you should have full tuition covered at a private school?

Then if we are sending tax money to private schools, then should we have a say in their admissions policy? Should they be forced to admit any student no matter their socioeconomic background?

2 Likes

It gets divided up like it does right now, per student.