Week 4 Bowl Projections

Do you not think we are playing for the AAC Championship? Do you not think every UH fan wants us to be in an NY6 game? The thing is, some of us fans realize we do not have control over what our team does on the field – or, what the other teams do, for that matter. There are a bunch of us who realize that what we want is not necessarily what we will get. But, we don’t throw childish tantrums or threaten to stop going to games or supporting the program. We just keep on supporting as best we can and hope for the best next year. Fortunately, I can enjoy watching football whether we win or lose. Of course, winning is better.

You may call that settling for less. But just what are you going to do to change what happens? Absolutely nothing.

3 Likes

lol So are you saying that we SHOULD show up REGARDLESS of the bowl game?

I’m talking about getting casual fans to be interested.

After the last Ft Worth Bowl I made a pledge. No more bowls north of I-10 unless the stadium has a roof or is in California.

Do they cancel little league soccer, boy scout campouts, high school practices, band contests and such on Saturdays in Nebraska? I presume that people try to avoid game time conflicts but when games can be anytime on Saturdays, the key is that everyone’s talking about the Huskers all week in the state.

2 Likes

If we finish 10-2 and we he have to play undefeated or one loss UNT I would ok with that G5 matchup.

As a fan only (not worried about revenue, etc), unless it’s a NY6 or CFP game I really don’t care much about what bowl we are in. It’s just an exhibition game. Start time and possibly driving distance is way more important to me.

Quick, someone tell me who won the Holiday Bowl last year. I know I had to look it up and that’s a “big boy bowl”.

Anyone notice how large the crowd was for TSU? 7:00pm > 11:00am on Saturdays

2 Likes

If it’s not a NY6, Ft Worth will work against the B12. The last AF Bowl was 3 quarters of frozen, wet misery followed by the greatest quarter ever. Our last two bowls have pretty much been where nobody could reasonably attend.

Renu Khator’s message to the PAC12 and ACC and ESPN - UH is a rising power with a large & growing fan base. Please take notice of us and our impressive growth.

vs

Some supposed UH fans on this board’s message to ESPN, et al - if UH doesn’t win 10+ games and get selected to play in a New Years Day Bowl, then I won’t support them at any other bowl game.

Which approach do you think is more helpful?

6 Likes

Where does anyone say that? Not going to a shit bowl like Frisco is far from any bowl. Oh, and, bite me!

No casual fan is ever going to be interested in going to one of our bowl games, no matter how prestigious. They might watch on TV, but they’re never going to actually attend a bowl game. I’m a casual fan of a few teams and I’ve never been to a bowl game other than a UH bowl game, including ones that take place in Houston. And I can’t see that ever changing.

2 Likes

Well then earn it. UH can’t control their bid unless they play their way in to NY6 and that’s just not going to happen every year. Would you rather have fans that can drive to Fricso and enjoy the game or play across the country against a P5 team where it’s going to cost a couple grand to get there.

A lot of the bowls around the country have terrible attendance. At this point they’re just tv content and they do quite well which is why they keep getting added.

I’d be hard pressed to go to any bowl that wasn’t a reasonable drive. It’s tough to fork out a lot of money on jacked up hotel rates and tickets to watch an exhibition game when I can sit at home.

1 Like

if boise st has hopes and go to new years 6 bowls mostly every year then why cant we?

Well, for one; Boise doesn’t turn over it’s coach every 2.5 years.

2 Likes

Hope is fine, but being upset about projections in September is another. If it’s not a NY6 then I would argue you want to be as fan friendly as possible. I get that bowls are rewards for kids (unless you’re a top NFL pick and then no way would I let them play) but have something where fans can show.

what exactly is that supposed to mean?

Well coaches don’t leave Boise every 2.5 years…if we can reverse good coaches leaving…then Boise we will become.

1 Like
1999 Dirk Koetter Crucial.com Humanitarian Bowl Louisville W 34–31
2000 Dirk Koetter Crucial.com Humanitarian Bowl UTEP W 38–23
2002 Dan Hawkins Crucial.com Humanitarian Bowl Iowa State W 34–16
2003 Dan Hawkins PlainsCapital Fort Worth Bowl TCU W 34–31
2004 Dan Hawkins Autozone Liberty Bowl Louisville L 40–44
2005 Dan Hawkins MPC Computers Bowl Boston College L 21–27
2006 Chris Petersen Tostitos Fiesta Bowl Oklahoma W 43–42 OT
2007 Chris Petersen Sheraton Hawaiʻi Bowl East Carolina L 38–41
2008 Chris Petersen San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl TCU L 16–17
2009 Chris Petersen Tostitos Fiesta Bowl TCU W 17–10
2010 Chris Petersen Maaco Bowl Las Vegas Utah W 26–3
2011 Chris Petersen Maaco Bowl Las Vegas Arizona State W 56–24
2012 Chris Petersen Maaco Bowl Las Vegas Washington W 28–26
2013 Bob Gregory Sheraton Hawaiʻi Bowl Oregon State L 23–38
2014 Bryan Harsin Vizio Fiesta Bowl Arizona W 38–30
2015 Bryan Harsin San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl Northern Illinois W 55–7
2016 Bryan Harsin Motel 6 Cactus Bowl Baylor L 12–31
2017 Bryan Harsin Las Vegas Bowl Oregon W 38–28
1 Like