Weekly breakdown on UH's NCAA tournament bid - 29 Jan 17

Another interesting site. This has us as a 8th-seed.

Bracketmatrix has us as a 11.

Just crazy talk.

1 Like

That was due to major player being injured late in season if I recall correctly!

Here is a short blurb about the 2014 Stang stinger:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/smu-becomes-first-ranked-team-since-2004-to-miss-ncaa-tournament/

https://twitter.com/SHPawdcast/status/959491077085585409

Barring some kind of collapse at the end of the season (Sampson’s team have done the opposite here) and someone other than UH, Wichita St or Cincy winning the AAC tourney, won’t the top 3 AAC teams make the Tourney?

UH needs a split or better with SMU to maintain that gap. Tulsa really helped UH out last night.

If we get swept by Cincy and SMU, then we better win a few road games against NIT caliber teams to make up for it.

1. The American

Playing for seeding: Cincinnati and Wichita State
Bubble: Houston, SMU and Temple

" I love the Cougars. I’m not sure anyone who watches Houston couldn’t see the Cougars as an NCAA tournament team. The win over Wichita State should give Houston great comfort. So should a victory over Providence on a neutral court. The Cougars could use one more elite win (see: Cincinnati) to put them at ease.

The Mustangs have something Houston doesn’t — a road win over Wichita State. SMU also has a win over Arizona on a neutral court and one over USC. The issues with the Mustangs have been injuries and a losing skid. The loss to Tulsa Thursday night was another example. There is time to recover.

Temple is an intriguing case. Its record won’t wow you and the Owls lost five in a row at one point. But Temple has wins over Old Dominion, Auburn and Clemson on neutral courts to start the season, as well as victories against South Carolina, at SMU and over Wichita State at home. If you just watched Temple beat UConn and Wichita State this past week, you would put them in without question. This is the team to keep an eye on more than any other bubble team.

My prediction: 4"

He thinks 4 from AAC, 4 from PAC-12 and 5 from B1G? I will be surprised if there are 4 from the AAC [or did I misread this]?

Also, hard to believe that Memphis and UConn are not in the conversation since they were the AAC marquee names.

2 Likes

Memphis and UConn aren’t mentioned because they’re not that good. The 4th team would be SMU

Understood. My comment was more about how the teams gave shuffled around over the last few years.

Don’t count out Temple. They’re 37th in RPI and have some nice wins. If they can win a few more games down the stretch, they may sneak in.

Thanks to Temple’s unexpected win over Wichita State, we have to either win at UCF or beat SMU here to maintain a top 4 position.

One thing I forgot about is the committee’s “last 10” part of the evaluation. 6 of our last 10 games includes Cincy twice, SMU twice and road games against UCF and Temple. Even winning two of those games and having no unexpected losses puts us at 6-4 for our last 10 which would not give us a “hot” rating.

Beating UCF would accomplish several things. It keeps UCF behind us, it gives a win where Temple lost, it finally gives us a quality road win (Providence was a neutral site) and it means we don’t have to beat SMU at home to stay ahead of them.

1 Like

Yeah, today’s game is very important. A loss would probably require us to win out to get an at-large.

Providence won st Marquette. Liberty won on the road. We need Arkansas to get their collective head out of their rear and best LSU

I don’t think it will matter either way who wins Ark/LSU. We played both.

Under the new Quad ranking system, we need Arkansas to win more than we need LSU to in the heads-up.
From this point forward we need them both to win as many as possible.

If the Providence game was at a neutral site
then all of our “home” games are at a neutral site !

1 Like

Because a 1 1/2 hour bus trip is the same as a 5 minute bus trip or because Providence had as many fans at that game as we have at our games?

1 Like

Temple “should” win their next three but tben they have WSU and UH. I agree they have some nice wins but they are going to need an impressive finish.

Have you looked at Wichita State’s closing schedule? If UH isn’t careful, they may sneak into the #2 seed and that would be impressive. Just keep that “home” winning streak alive and all will be good!

2 Likes