What can be done about the free throws?

To be a good free throw shooter you need to shoot 1000 per day. I suspect few on the team are putting in the work.

What is Corey Davis doing that the other players aren’t doing?

1 Like

We currently rank 148th out of 341 in FT%.

70% is not bad for a college team.

1 Like

I don’t think sending an email will get it done. I really think you need to set an appointment with Sampson, maybe put together a powerpoint presentation on the fine art of free throws and referencing the key points that he is failing to address.

13 Likes

The team FT% is being skewed by 2 guys. If you take away Corey Davis (29/31) and Ced Alley (16/19), the rest of the team is shooting 64%. Galen is who he is. We know he’s not close to being automatic at the line. Brooks is the real head scratcher. He was an 80% FT shooter last year and is at 50% this year.

1 Like

Recall that from the day of Phi Slamma Jamma

It definitely helped for a while, probably some down the road as well.

Calvin held the record for longest streak

Sampson said last year that if your best free throw shooters shoot the majority of your free throws you become a much better free throw shooting team.

3 Likes

According to the other cougar players… social media!

Can’t argue with that logic.

Oh God please, I want to be in that meeting !!!

1 Like

That argument works both ways.

'69 was a good year for cougar graduates.

1 Like

I would not want to be there unless I was a fly on the wall!! :sunglasses:

CKS has addressed this issue and there was some mention of a village idiot.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Last year Armoni had Rob to carry more responsibility and had less pressure. This year there is way more pressure on Armoni.

That’s pretty common in college basketball in general.

I expect Armoni will get closer to his career numbers and that should help.

For what it’s worth unless my math is incredibly terrible, if we had converted one miss for every other game we would be 142 for 194 (73.2%), which would be on the cusp of top 50. That seems really doable.

That’s a good way to look at it make 1-3 more and you’ve upped it to 73-80%.

Career free throw percentages:

Rick Barry 89.3
Calvin Murphy 89.2

2 Likes