What can be done about the free throws?

The long term average for college teams has been 69-70%. You have to believe Brooks will get it turned around. That will make a huge difference. You rellly want him on the floor at the end of close games but if the 50% continues, maybe it’s Jarreau or Hinton instead. It’s the beauty of a deep roster.

It would be easier for us to improve our 3 point shooting % than to improve our FT %.

Against SLU, we hit 18 of 25 FT (72%) and only 6 of 20 from the three point line (30%).

It’s easier for this team to improve the 3 point % than to improve our FT %.

One more 3 pointer to go 7 of 20 is easier than to ask the team to hit 21 of 25 FT.

1 Like

Reid Gettys was a dead-eye shooter from long distance (although he played prior to the 3-point line) and virtually “automatic” from the free throw line. During the 1982 NCAA Tournament, on March 21, 1982, Gettys sunk 10 consecutive free throws down the stretch to move Houston past Boston College and into the Final Four.

The thing that makes it impressive is that Calvin was among the best of 1000’s of pro players to shoot overhand. How many in the pros did it granny style? I was being facetious earlier about a coach making his players use that technique because for every one player/recruit that would be impressed by a coach having that kind of attitude, 9 more players/recruits would rather play elsewhere not to be subjected to it.

2 Likes

The crazy part is: Rick Barry was 88% from the line with the “Grandma Free-throws”…88%!!!

We dropped our TO’s by 28% and our FTs went up to 87% on the night. Coincidence? Funk thinks not.

Look at the people who shot our FTs tonite. Not that surprising

2 Likes

It was the Powerpoint presentation I gave to Sampson earlier this week. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

We fixed their free throws. Great job CoogFans!

6 Likes

Also, the bad FT shooters did not get to shoot many.

Yes it was kind of tongue in cheek because the previous games our good FT shooters did not get to shoot many and Sampson has already commented on the best strategy for having a high game free throw percentage is to have the best free throw shooters get the most free throws.

1 Like

Actually, we have some good FT shooters on this team.

If Brooks can get his act together, it will be even better. Unfortunately, I think Galen is just a 5 out of 8 type of guy.