What could UH do to realistically improve gameday experience at TDECU

I was raised in Baton Rouge and attended LSU for 2 1/2 years. The neighborhoods on the side coming in off of Dalrymple is nice and the homes on the lake are similar to River Oaks. The entries from the south on Nicholson, Highland, or West Lakeshore drive are all nice neighborhoods. The neighborhood north of campus between Highland and Nicholson north of Chimes used to be pretty bad, but there has been a whole lot on new construction there and expansion of the campus. I’m not really sure what’s left of the old ratty portions.

Just win and become nationally relevant.

3 Likes

This is really all I care about right now. The rest can work itself out.

I would recommend more AC in the restrooms but last time I had furniture cracked over my head.

3 Likes

Let’s be cutting edge and ban Seven Nation Army.

3 Likes

I think you asked the wrong question. The question is “What can we do to improve the experience on gamely?”
The answer is buy tickets, bring friends, show them a good time, and encourage them to come back.
If, and when we do that, and TDECU is full of U of H fans, the experience for football will take care of itself.
The University will then have the resources to fix the problems previously mentioned.
The problem and solution lies with the U of H fan base. Not just the consistent 22k, but everyone else who has yet to take ownership.

2 Likes

Man, if 40,000 people take ownership but the concessions and other things around gameday aren’t ready, then nothing will be improved - it’ll just be more crowded and make the problems even more evident.

Personally, I could do without all of the crap we try to keep people entertained, but that’s not happening. Music, ribbon boards and light shows aren’t going to bring people back to games as much as good concessions, organized help, and winning games. The AD can’t win games, but he can make sure the other things are in order.

5 Likes

we could do a grove and RV lot combo
redo university park loop that runs past AA and PGH into the RV lot
i think they wanted to close that to traffic and reclaim a bunch of that area in front of PGH anyway.
so make a shorter loop that can handle RVs parked in at an angle and then a grove in front of PGH
band comes in from but,we plaza under pgh towards the stadium pavilion area
that’s game day atmosphere creation IMO

1 Like

The music, ribbon boards, and light shows are generally there to get/keep the students hyped.

Is Landry’s involved in any way with the concessions there? I know they aren’t in the same business as Sysco, and that isn’t their kind of thing, but how about food/drinks in the club level/suites?

I say close Cullen from Wheeler all the way to Elgin and sell spots on the street and entrance 14 as premium tailgate spaces to tie the separated tailgate areas back together. If my memory serves me they were at one point trying to get rid of Cullen through the campus anybody know what happen to that?

Side note: I saw the 2027 master plan and it looks like they are planning to replace the red and platinum lots with yet another garage.

1 Like

We need a pregame concert space, where you could have the food trucks. I think UT has a concert outside the stadium each day, a few hours before the game.

I heard the school is going to promote tailgating on grassy areas near Cullen/Wheeler, which is fine, but tailgating means you are near your truck. You tailgate. Thus, tailgating on a grassy area won’t work. and our stuff would be stolen.

As for AC in the bathrooms, who cares? I’m in there 60 seconds tops. I never noticed it wasn’t AC’d.

THIS!

I gave up 50 yard line seats in section 308 because I’m not a mountain goat. If I had realized the sparsity of facilities there I would never have bought them.

1 Like

Since UH is a state institution, Landry’s is required by law to go through the same Request for Proposal process as any other vendor. Not an inherit conflict of interest with Fertitta as the owner, but UH would simply need to show that no favoritism was shown to Landry’s in the selection process.

Would Landry’s even be interested in establishing a presence in an outdoor stadium?

The bidding process is often evaluated through a “points” system.
In this case the points system will show that clients prefer Landry’s food vs others.

1 Like

I used to have tickets in 306 and preferred them over the ones I have now in 102, but everyone in my group complained about going up and down the stairs to the bathroom. But in 306, I could see the whole field. Now, in the corner in 102, I can’t see half the field, but no one is bitching about climbing up and down so I grin and bear it.

2 Likes

Calling that a tailgate is an insult. It’s just whatever food (hot dogs or cookies) they have lined up and sodas. Nothing else. An area to sit. Nobody interacts there.

Yes, adds to atmosphere. Hopefully it’s possible or an upgrade can be put towards it.

The UHAA spots and CP spots are huge. You just see that then islands of tents inside of it. At least compress it a little and create more space for students orgs to tailgate, making it cheaper overall. Tailgating rules need to be more relaxed (you have until 10am the next day to clean up). Many orgs leave after the tailgate because they have to put everything away.

They gotta get the word out to students and have them come too. It ain’t great. 5k-7.5k is a good size, and they can just keep handing tickets out to walkups. No student really gets turned away. They are reshuffling the student section a little, putting them all in the endzone. 100s and 200s section.

YES. By goodness, that would pour in people coming out. Get the restaurants in TDECU. It was here earlier in the thread. BBQ, Indian Food, Arab Food, etc. Get that. Find the big restaurants in Houston, give them a discount for putting up a UH Cougars sign “Come see us at UH!”. Rake in cash.

Anyone know how much the rent is at TDECU for the season?

1 Like

Tailgating is by definition “NORTH AMERICAN: host or attend a social gathering at which an informal meal is served from the back of a parked vehicle, typically in the parking lot of a sports stadium:”

Setting aside an area for the students, or anyone else, to party or socializing is not tailgating. That’s why I just don’t understand this whole idea you have to tailgate in any certain area. Whatever parking area you are in is a tailgate area – even the garage is with the caveat that you can’t cook in the garage. But there are people who tailgate in the garage.

In my opinion, all of these attempts to manufacture “tailgating” don’t actually do the trick. Back when we were in the Rob, people actually tailgated in the parking lots, there’s no reason to not do it now whether in the red lot, garage, green lot, or whichever lot you park in.

Go to LSU, Alabama, Tennessee, etc and you will find tailgating all over the campuses.

1 Like

He’s right about the tailgating set-up at Tech, though - it’s really strong. In addition to the main area that usually has a band playing and large tents set up for different “tailgates,” some of the parking lots by the stadium have some long-lived and well-attended tailgates.

Even at Robertson, the tailgating scene was anchored by the Engineering Pavilion. People had smaller deals at their cars, but the crowds were nearer to the field, as I remember. I use the term “crowds” loosely. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m in 307, also love the view of the field and the city, definitely need escalators, bathrooms and concessions up there and then it would be perfect

1 Like

What is blocking you from seeing half of the field? What half do you not see?