What would it take- UH to B1G

UH should pursue the undergrads to bolster the next generation of fans. Remove the “bad” experiences on campus. Start with fixing parking.

The alumni who don’t care will take much more time and money to bring back.

Also, the tailgate scene needs to be less authoritarian. Let people have fun.

Build a base of diehard graduates and growth will continue.

imo

4 Likes

Accurate. It was Paterno’s idea and Pitt shot it down. Penn State and Notre Dame were pretty much the only programs that were regularly followed by mid-Atlantic and North East part of country from 1970-2000. Made sense….north east just isn’t football country

Ok…we get AAU…a large public University like ours should find a path to get it done. WE have the size, power, money, & most importantly—research heavy reputation that gets better with each passing year.

The new Med School the new Law building all help our case!

1 Like

If it can be done, our president will get it done. Never imagined the university where it is today since when I was there 30+ years ago.

2 Likes

What is your grad year?

Anyway, no, this is not the case. A bunch of students DO want the experience. They don’t go to UH because they don’t think it’s there or can’t find it.

6600 freshman are coming in, SGA members that are in the know of the new students are on the CV3 officer board. One officer’s younger brother said they’re all interested in athletics and getting involved. It isn’t who we accept, it’s what UH doesn’t to do emphasize that stuff exists, or doesn’t let the students ‘play’, I guess.

My dad, grandfather, and two cousins both went there. If I got an offer to do graduate school there, I’d take it in a heartbeat. UH is a great institution and I love everything it’s done for me, but I still can’t call it a dream school compared to UMich. If I had to start over at UH now, I definitely would. In 2017? Probably not.

It is an amazing atmosphere.

I was sitting next to a Coog on the flight up here. Just graduated. She wasn’t an athletics fan but she cared about UH. She buys UH merch because she knows people recognize it and we both agreed it’s running in the right direction.

Or, that’s what we were told as kids. UT or TAMU were the places to go. Rice was the reach. Tech, TxSt, UH were just options. Satellite schools for UT were better than those options.

Admissions changed up their stuff, so they can write essays now on getting in :slight_smile: Have family applying so I’m coaching them. One of my cousins didn’t get in for class of 26, so he’s at UHD then going to transfer. My sis and other cousin are on the admissions road right now, and I’m helping them with their apps in general (UT/TAMU/UH/UA/ASU). They’re trying to find more collegey experiency students.

As for the tailgate, a certain sponsored tailgate is being done away with and going to be run by students. When CV3 was told what it would be, officers sort of shot it down and said ‘students want to mosh’ and it is getting reworked to be FUN.

1 Like

That’s good…maybe things will change and it will show at UH sporting events. When I went to UH no one had to tell me about the Coogs, nor did anyone have to tell me when and where our games were.
Hope I am proven wrong but I just don’t see many of the younger crowd coming to UH excited about attending games.
Regardless will continue to make games as long as I can and hope for a miracle of gaining many passionate young Coogs.

2 Likes

Somehow bring $100 mil/yr in value to the B1G.

0% chance we get taken if the teams lose money.

1 Like

If we’re trying to increase UH’s lot in life – whether it’s academically, athletically, or otherwise – that boils down to turning it into a place that students want to go to.

If we’re concerned with sports attendance, I think that starts with getting kids on campus well before they’re students. How many students at A&M and UT and Alabama and Michigan only decided to get into sports once they’re on-campus? Dr. Khator talks all the time about sports being the “front porch” of the university, but usually you cross the front porch before you get into the house. If we’re trying to build a student body that’s still into the Coogs after they graduate and we only start once they get on-campus, it’s already too late.

4 Likes

I think being in the big12 will help. Kids want to go to schools in major conferences and being in a big time conference helps with popularity then parents and kids catch onto that vibe. A$M started passing UT as most popular after in the sec in recent yrs so UT said dam , we’re losing ground so they went sec. UH in the big12 will help us a lot in popularity because somehow parents and kids catch on to it. If a$m was in Cusa no one would care to go there so sports matter and conferences matter in the pecking order. We will have more media hype and more of our stuff at academy etc. UH has grown in popularity since Khator got here but we needed the conf upgrade to help which is here. A son’s friend of ours was a huge UT fan so we’d always fight with him and he’d say negative things but he ended up going to UH and could have gone anywhere. He’s now a huge UH fan and went to the Louisville game we won and had watch parties for our great bb team. Kids catch on and he’s excited about our big 12 move. We will now be on par with Baylor and tech.

2 Likes

Baylor is only popular bc of big12. Now we’re there and are equal.

Until Renu Khator arrived UH had terrible support for athletics. Remember: Robertson Stadium, the condition of Hofheinz Pavilion, and bleacher gate. There wasn’t much a student would want to be associated. That has changed but it was a long time before it did.

If the City of Houston was a state, it would rank as #5 state in GDP. The city can afford a great university. UH needs to be involved in the daily lives of the city’s population. One way of doing that is to get the city to include an item in the next political election to pass a 0.25% sales tax to support UH. It would help UH grow and give the citizens an investment its future.

I can hear it now. They would never vote for it. UH got an amendment to the Texas constitution and then got the Texas Congress to pass NRUF.

38000 applications increase says it all

We’re getting there

1 Like

I don’t think this is true. Baylor is popular (to whatever extent that they are popular) because they’re Baptist. My mom couldn’t have given a rip about sports, and never went to college, but she badly wanted me to go to Baylor because she was deeply Baptist and it was the (good) Baptist college. When I was in school, the kids that wore Baylor gear were the church kids, and vice versa. There’s very strong brand synergy between Baylor University and the Southern Baptist Church, especially in Texas, and if they never played another game of Football or Basketball or any other sport, that would still be there.

2 Likes

I do hope UH does some kind of outreach to seniors say “come take a tour and watch some sports”. Especially for smaller towns too. Mostly in the Houston area.

1 Like

Everyone who goes to Baylor is not Baptist…they aren’t even all Protestants before they attended.

Maybe there are a bunch but not a requirement…same with Notre Dame.

Same with BYU…but they use the University as an opportunity to convert no Mormons.

1 Like

Well makes sense but we will be on par with them now in the big 12 or surpass them. A girl we know wanted to go there it’s only bc of big 12 and a safe school for girls lol

It’s all about perception and we’re moving up the chain.

Since Khator I noticed more people liking UH bc of academics and now we have big12 for the great push to get over the mountain. I see a lot more people wearing UH stuff since Khator. You’ll see a bigger change once we’re in the big 12 and it will be better than than the SWC bc we’re now a better school in every way, academics improved, more dorms , med school etc

1 Like

I think it has to start way earlier than that – Seniors are narrowing down their list, and if they’re not already interested in UH by then, they’re not gonna be. College tours are typically something that starts during a student’s Sophomore or Junior year. I think we need to work to get our logo in front of middle schoolers and even elementary school kids. Think about all of the kids you saw in Elementary School toting UT and A&M lunchboxes and how that affected your perception of the schools and their popularity. That’s where we need to compete. Free swag to young kids, all the freaking time. Keep our logo in front of them. Sponsor youth leagues. Give free lunchboxes to alumni. Free pencils, free folders, even those crappy little paper book covers that we had to put on our textbooks. All of that moves the needle, and none of it is particularly expensive.

A&M and UT have puf funds to mail out more stuff.

We really do need to sue or other to get some of that funding.

That’s a lame excuse. We spend tens of millions on Athletics every year; we can afford a couple of $10 lunchboxes.

I know people that went to A&M and received a full banner flag from a$m which costs a lot. UH doesn’t have the money to do that bc we lack PUF funds which is general funding so it’s a problem. If we had PUF funds like them an UT we could be them minus the sec but we’re close on conf affiliation but lack the funds they get.