Where does our Golf Team go from here?

What are our prospects for a renaissance? Are we doomed to mediocrity in the B12? Does Coach have a rabbit up his sleeve? Is he the one to lead us to the promised land?

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned. The conference tourney championship was great but man, I’d hoped for more at Auburn. Am I expecting too much? Overreacting? I love the sport of golf. I am thrilled our great university can field a competitive team. But I pine for a championship…or at least a chance at one.

2 Likes

Getting beaten consistently by the likes of Sam Houston (no disrespect to Sam) and others and not making the NCAA finals for the last 11 years tells you the problem is obvious

4 Likes

Just like in baseball , oh boy if SHSU beats us in football I’m going to lose it

4 Likes

I’m convinced that the golf program isn’t going improve until we either change the HC or have an infusion of NIL donations, probably both.

2 Likes

From what I understand the golf program gets a lot of support from Couples, Elkington, Nantz, etc…

And Redstone is their home course… Should be a national contender every year imo.

2 Likes

We ARE the bluest of the blue bloods in the sport of college golf.

We have SIXTEEN National Championships and FOUR runner up trophies.

What are we doing over there?

4 Likes

First thing is commit more money to program and facilities. 2nd is look at what UT ok state and OU facilities and what you can do to upgrade facilities. 3rd is look at how you can improve NIL and recruiting. Look at smu they have bunch of the top golf instructors (cam McCormick, Chris combo, Troy Denton) so easy to say stay in Dallas and be close to the best golf coaches in world. Texas tech went to Sweden to find a golfer who ended up being the top college golfer. Ludvig Aberg. Expand recruiting area basically look at transfer portal. Big 12 had 7 teams finish in top 50 in rankings. So competition going to be way harder.

2 Likes

So you’re saying the AD has to take the program seriously.

1 Like

Basically yes. Look at the texas golf facility. And you’ll see the difference. Inside the TEXAS LONGHORNS' 14,000 sq-ft GOLF Facility | Royal Key - YouTube

Wow

We used to be a blue blood program, but after 38 years of nominal competitiveness, we’ve devolved into a purple program.

2 Likes

We just got complacent just like we did in every other sport.

1 Like

Project 17 has been off the rails for awhile now.

1 Like

Project 17 means the next national championship, I presume?

Yes, they were using they phrase several years ago, but alas, our once dominant program languishes in mediocrity.

1 Like

I feel really bad about it. I know people that follow our golf team. I don’t speak to them much any more but about ten years ago they loved to go watch our kids play. They didn’t get wrapped up in the scores but they loved to be out there. They used to meet at Northgate in the bar every Tuesday morning. Always tried to buy my son’s lunch or give him a golf hat. Being old-timers I hope they one day get to see the glory back.

2 Likes

I used to be a member at Northgate, roughly 20 years ago.

I followed the team, went to tournaments and practices, also interviewed Dismuke and Dirks for CoogFans

1 Like

Its an interesting country club. You know the flood permanently wiped out one whole course, right? Its a forest now.

That’s a shame, but not surprising.

1 Like

Sounds like someone needs to buy the UH golf team a golf course. Oklahoma State has an incredible course for their team.

1 Like