Which of these lost Houston Restaurants did you eat at?

Anyone remember Zorba the Greek on Tuam?

Thanks, 74, but the place I remember had a Mexican name, I believe. “Las” something. I still enjoy the Spanish Village near campus but my wife doesn’t.

1 Like

Remember Leo’s, good food! There was a steak house over off 635 named Duchos that was pretty good for a cheap date. It still may be around but haven’t lived in H town for awhile.

Here’s some more I miss: Strawberry Patch, Los Tios, Black Eyed Pea, Taco Bueno (still in Dallas), Gallagher’s, the Courtyard, Mason Jar( still around?)

Oh yeah, Zorba’s was great. I used to love their big fried seafood platter, complete with frog legs.

Alfred’s delicatessen
Felix Mexican
Kaphan’s
San Jacinto Inn
Sonny Look’s
Trader Vic’s
Valian’s
Vargo’s

I fell in love with their red snapper plate. It was always so dark in there that you could barely see across the room.

I liked Felix until I saw one of the employees rubbing his hair while cooking. I know, lots worse things go on but that still reminds me of that place. Yes, Alfred, several locations.

How about the Great Caruso Dinner Theater on Westheimer near Gessner. Enjoyed a very tasty meal and some great live entertainment from their singing wait-staff.

2 Likes

Used to love that place in Carrillon West.

Gourmet food and a GREAT stage show!

Very sorry when a fire caused them to close.

Yes, was a good and high priced place, service was wonderful though. Yes, remember the fire as well. Places I miss the most:

Panjo’s Pizza
Dos Gringos
Alfred’s Deli
Ruby Red’s
Early Ninfa’s
Mason Jar

I’ve enjoyed the trip down Memory Lane, but I want to add another legendary no-longer-here restaurant, the Athens Bar and Grill by the ship channel. The Greek dishes, belly dancers, and breaking plates always made for a great time, but it was insane when it was packed with crew from a docked Greek ship. “Opa!”

3 Likes

Red 80 (Mike) Love your list. So many of those were my favorites. Did Khapans with my boys after many U of H games at the Dome. Lots of lunches at Felix.

1 Like

Jamie’s on South Main. Ate there lots of times after Cougars or Astros games

1 Like

I miss Ferrell’s Ice Cream as a kid in the ‘70’s. I was so scared to go there for my birthday, I did not want to stand up while the whole stafff sang loudly with whistles, and sirens.

I also miss going JoJo’s for all night breakfast, and Marco’s Mexican Restaurant as high schooler and college student in the late 80’s, early 90’s.

I definitely remember the waffles at JoJo’s!!!

What’s the name of the big ice cream place that used to be in the Galleria?

2 Likes

Nevermind, it was Ferrell’s. I had a birthday there once when I was a kid. GREAT place!

2 Likes

There was one in Almeda Mall as well. Great place for a kid to get hyped up on sugar!

While you can still get to some of their other locations, I was disappointed to see this news. I cannot count the number of times I have carried a tray through their restaurant. Some of us (former downtowners) used to drive from the Vintage area for lunch there during the week.

Gary, I agree. It was a good place to eat.

Regarding Marco’s Mexican Restaurant, there used to be one on Westheimer near Hwy 6 very close to the neighborhood I grew up in. It had FANTASTIC cheese enchiladas and salsa, and was a family favorite of ours for many years.

3 Likes