Which of these lost Houston Restaurants did you eat at?

Ya gotta include the soda counters of days gone by:
K&G Drugs (on Bissonett)
Avalon Drug Co & Diner ( original on Kirby)
Post Oak Pharmacy Soda Counter (Club Linoleum)

Albrittons Cafeteria on Waugh
Buteras on Bissonett

I don’t know any of those places, but I like the setting and the imagery. If it was possible, getting back to simplier times feels good to me these days.

Before Luby’s there was The Village cafeteria, and Picadilly. Affordable for poor students and good lunch or dinner

Cleburne Cafeteria has always been the best. Love going there for come cooking like my grandmother did.

2 Likes

I forgot about the Cleburne. It was really great. My dad would take me there on the weekends he had to go to the national guard meetings.

1 Like

Prince’s Drive In, Hebert’s

I had friends that arranged my birthday party at this location, complete with making me wear the oversized sombrero and a face full of whipped cream. Great memories!

Hebert’s was one of my go-to lunch places when having a “business” lunch. Pretty sure they survived just on revenue involving Foley’s buyers. Great food and drinks.

Stockman’s on Long Point.

The original Mason Jar, Strawberry Patch, and the Courtyard on Katy were some of my favs.

2 Likes

Wasn’t there a Romana Cafeteria off 45 near Monroe

Yes Romano”s sold to Lubys

Was that the steakhouse near the corner of Bingle with the big steer on top of the sign fronting Long Point? I remember as a kid, it was my introduction to a quality steakhouse meal I have never forgotten.

The steer was still there the last time I was in the old neighborhood.

1 Like

Lubys, Wyatts and Cleburnes cafeterias have nothing on The Sisters of Loretta yummy cooking AND beverages at St Michael’s Catholic School cafeteria in the sixties! Eight years of heavenly culinary bliss. Man I miss the food, especially the cheese sandwiches on fridays (no veggie or plant-based protein back then). The other four days, the short order cook Sisters would have hamburgers( not to confuse these hamburgers with the ones at Princes’s on Westheimer.) and who could forget their specialty Beef Tips and Rice with their famous Cream Corn. Oh, I miss those days.

1 Like

Just yesterday we were trying to remember the name of Yamin’s - which had some really good Italian po-boys sandwiches & Pizza - including my favorite - the Muffuletta which was $2.00. Looking at a photo of an old menu, their basic po-boy sandwich was $0.90 while the Gigantic double Po-Boy was $1.90; most of their pizza’s cost $1.55 (small), $2.45 (medium) or $2.95 (large).

My how the times and prices have changed in the past ~50 years.

Gasoline was ~$0.30/gallon -> now ~$3.00/gallon
Pizza was ~$2.45 -> now ~$24.50
Cars were ~$4,000 -> now ~$40,000
Houses were ~$35,000 -> now ~$350,000

…of course, if you draw social security, the federal gov’t will tell you there’s little to no inflation.

No this was between Witte & Gessner. It was more like a family style buffet.

The Yamin’s Guinea Pig with extra cheese and jalapeños was a true treasure. Was sorry to see them go.

Was that in front of the Oak Village movie theater, which was originally a Youngblood’s Fried Chicken full service restaurant in the 60s? Man, this thread is making me hungry.:laughing:

1 Like

Bill Williams Chicken House
Alfred’s delicatessen
Bud Bigelow;s
Confederate House
Felix Mexican
The Green Parrot
Kaphan’s
Maxim.s
The Pig Stand
San Jacinto Inn
Sonny Look’s
Trader Vic’s
Valian’s
Vargo’s
Youngblood’s Fried Chicken
The Cellar Inn

I remember several more . . . . not all 5* restaurants . . . .
Cellar Door
No name but the Greek restaurant downtown about '66
Also a restaurant on Old Post Oak that had a stage and dance floor - went there in the '80’s - big time night club at that time (Swiss Chalet, I believe)
Also, Japanese Restaurant on 610 maybe
Ducho’s Steak House
Rettig’s Ice Cream N. Main and downtown
Old San Francisco Steakhouse
Yamin’s
Big Mouth Frog
Barry’s Pizza
Rumpleheimers
Steak and Ale
Black Angus Steakhouse
Monterrey House
Angelo’s Fishermans Warf
My fave . . . . . Don’s Seafood by the Galleria . . . . .
Halfway thru the comments and my second fave came back to me . . . . Nanny’s . . . . . UH Football ate there often, I was told . . . . .

Just so you know, I made this list prior to reading all of the above . . . . . I was just one or two posts into the stream when I decided to jump in with both feet . . . . .After reading the thread, Hebert’s came back to me. The downtown store had live entertainment (looked like a bunch of senior citizens that still played great music. Thinking each night had a different genre of music) and great seafood. Years later, they had a little walk in store around 610 and 290 . . . . .

Shanghai Red’s on the ship channel.

3 Likes