Woody Williams returns to UH

21 Likes

Whoa, this is pretty cool! Unexpected and good news. What’s the consensus from the Baseball board elders?

4 Likes

Great addition. One of my all-time favorites.

5 Likes

Hopefully, first step to becoming our new head baseball coach.

6 Likes

UH baseball: Woody Williams returns in pitching and development role (houstonchronicle.com)

1 Like

This is exactly what this is.

6 Likes

The baseball gods have given us a Woody!

7 Likes

Wow. It does beg the question of Woody…why are you coming here? He’s got to know that the program has fallen off a cliff and the UH baseball fan base is very disenchanted with Todd.

2 Likes

Have a bit of patience……

5 Likes

You think we would hire a guy that’s never been a HC and was fired as pitching coach at UT after a year to be the head guy here? I think that was his only coaching job in D1, right?

You know this stuff better than me. I’m curious to hear your thoughts on the why here.

Before UT he was pitching coach at San Jac for 6 or 7 years and they went to World Series most seasons….not 100% positive so if anyone wants to fact check that’s fine.

I really like that as a pitcher he really had to “Pitch”. He didn’t have blow them away stuff….Guys like that usually make the best pitching coaches…I would love for him to teach everyone how to throw a really good cutter and then teach them how to pitch and not just throw.
There are so many mental things to go along with mechanics….and teaching these guys how to out smart there opponents.
IMO he has the right temperament to be a head coach….as long as he got a legitimate hitting coach I think he could do really well.
He is an alumnus so I think he would have his heart in it….and he spent what? 14-15 years in the league?
He walks in the kids living room ( especially pitchers) and I think he would recruit well.
Anyway, that’s my take on why I think he would be a good choice for the baseball program.

6 Likes

I like the idea of Woody returning for a lot of the same reasons you listed above.

2 Likes

Can we bring Bourn back as Director of Baserunning Strategy & Development? I’ll set the O/U in G1 on us doing something that makes me lose my s#%$ at 5.5 innings.

6 Likes

I like that cap. Is that new?

Don’t we still like this guy as head coach?

3 Likes

He was at the UT game…

I yelled “Michael Bourn!!!” and he gave me the Cougar Paw…

3 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a scenario with Allen as head coach, Williams on staff, and Todd in fundraising.

2 Likes

Woody knows the Hell out of pitching. Everyone that ever works as a coach for UT knows they’re already fired. They just haven’t been told yet. There are a few exceptions but hubris drives that athletic program.

5 Likes

UT ranked #10 in ERA last year and Woody was fired?

3 Likes

Woody was fired because he was too close to the pitchers. Pierce didn’t like it. He is a really weird Dude.

2 Likes