Would you hire Gary Patterson as our DC going to the big 12?

I don’t think he’d come to UH unless it’s HC. I think he will be one again soon.

My man, the NFL took our two best players, who incidentally played the toughest position on either side of the field. You don’t go from the transfer portal or second string to an NFL draft prospect in two games. And that leadership takes a bit to replace.

But that being said, our defense is not the problem.

Defense is not the problem? Do you remember 4th down and 20

Pearland, you’re a legendary figure in our sports community. I would never challenge your lucid and thoughtful posts. But one bad play? Give the gentleman a break. I mean Dana doesn’t come to the nuthouse and heckle you for swinging your samarai sword during wheel of fortune.

4 Likes

Gary Patterson is making $150k this year. We can afford that.

Patterson is not coming here as a DC. I do think he will go for another HC jobs as that seems to be the standard for let-go head coaches to consult one year then take another HC job. Many have gone to Alabama as a consultant for that very reason. Wait and see what schools are looking come December.

$150,000 will not be his asking price for his next job unless it is as a country singer.

CDH and Patterson do get along well I believe. They did some halftime shows during the title games a couple years back, and I believe those two stole the show so to speak.

Edit to add: He did not have losing seasons because he forgot how to coach defense. He lost his players and they gave up on the team and coach. His ego got too big and his loyalty to his assistants cost him, not his on-field coaching knowledge.

Our defense gave up only 20 points in regulation and scored as many TDs as our offense. As well as 3 Int. Bottom line is the offense lost the game, you have got to score more the 20 at the end of regulation.

He would for a HC gig!

Some people just want to coach at a P5 and the Big 12 is closer to home!!!

Money talks.

He’s is head coach in waiting at Texas. He’s not coming here.

I think Patterson was just in a down cycle. Sometimes coaches have two recruiting classes in a row that are duds or a series of injuries set you back.
Anyway, we’re not in the Bill Yeoman and Grant Teaff era anymore. You have a bad run nowadays and the school panics. Its really just guns for hire. And everybody but Wyatt Saban gets shot in the end. It would be better for college football if every team had a 4-6 year every so often.

Now THAT would be very interesting…he has had sustained success & has won the Big 12 at some point in his career (even had TCU close to a CFP).

Fun fact, our 4* WR, Matthew Golden had originally committed to TCU, but then de-committed from them and came to us after TCU got rid of Patterson.

1 Like

We don’t need older coaches who don’t want to change their ways or can’t recognize when something doesn’t work. We need a new coach who’s been a coordinator that has statistically been a high scorer and has had alot of Ws with not as good of talent. Someone that wants to prove they’re good. I don’t want someone who thinks their system that got them fired worked before and just had bad luck 2 years in a row. Any other job wouldn’t be so understanding

Your analysis is flawed
They gave up more than 70 yds in 2-3 OT periods
As well as 14+ points

Scoring defense is good
Offense time of poss was only 19 min
Vs TT
Our defense was on the field way too much
Defense was gassed understandably at the end of the 2nd ot
Offense is the problem

I don’t think he is going anywhere to be a DC. My guess is that UT figures out how to give him a raise or he takes a head coach job.