WOW! “Misused At Houston” - (Regarding Oliver)

Highly graded, all say “misused at houston”

3 Likes

Yup its the title,

3 Likes

I’m convinced it’s a false paradigm now. “Even though he was misused at Houston…”

What does Houston have to do with his ability? Frankly, I don’t even understand the argument or the implication. It’s just a way to collectively take a shot at UH.

3 Likes

I’d argue that Ed made more of a name for himself here than he would have at LSU or any other P5 school, because of his choice to come here and the focus that put on him. Add to that the success of his first and second years as a stand out D lineman in a big media market. IMO, he would have been just another good D lineman at the other schools. Maybe with a little more notoriety but I don’t think he would have been drafted any higher. LSU was going through its own turmoil

3 Likes

Misused … ehhh …

He will go from being misused to unseen playing in Buffalo … they only won 6 games last year …

The only way to be able to watch him is to get RedZone HOWEVER Buffalo usually gets behind fast so they won’t be on very long … RZ rarely stays with blowouts … PLUS they only show the action when THE OTHER TEAM reaches the RZ … which means the Buffalo defense isn’t doing very well …

1 Like

Maybe we shouldn’t have players like Big Ed. Here for 3 years, really 2.5, nothing but a distraction the last half of a season that started with a lot of promise. Ed was constantly getting chop blocked, I can’t blame him for sitting out. When you’re a Madden 99 and the next best player in your defense is around an 82 or so, this is what happens. He had no help last year, none. One guy can’t do it all. We need DEPTH on defense.

I wish EO nothing but the best, he has been asked about being misused multiple times and has never bad-mouthed us or the coaches, not even tongue-in-cheek.

My argument is the implication is contradictory. Its like saying, “your ferrari is the fastest on the planet…by the way, your mechanic sucks.”

1 Like

The only thing is that if he had a better coach, he would be more polished and NFL ready. Yes, he will play immediately; but he could have been even better with better instruction.

2 Likes

Not necessarily… if your mechanic sucks it may mean that your Ferrari is unable to achieve its maximum speed. Even though its maximum speed would make it the fastest pm the planet, if it is unable to achieve that speed because its been hindered by your mechanic, you would thus blame the mechanic.

1 Like

Once again. The majority of observers think he’s a steal at 9. If your scenario were applicable it would reflect in his offer. I don’t think it will.

1 Like

Uhhh … Buffalo is one of the NFL bottom feeders … it probably won’t get any better for Oliver … teaching-wise …

I suspect Buffalo’s DC will make Coach No’D look like Vince Lombardi …

He was misused and it is just too darn obvious for the expert wannabes to not say anything.

4 Likes

He was misused. He was put into a position where Temple and Navy could chop block him. Every play was Ed in the middle getting double and triple teamed. No-D’s defense was let them double and triple team Ed and that will free up the DT’s.

We had a generational talent in Ed. No one since Wilson Whitley has been this good on the defensive line. And these morons almost got his knees blown out because they didn’t know how to use him.

It was CMA’s first head coaching gig. It didn’t go well (understatement?) Will he get another shot? Maybe. Belichick and Pete Carroll both got fired from their first coaching gigs. Maybe with the right circumstances. Coach No-D? Maybe at the HS level. I don’t think he’ll ever get another DC position at the FBS level.

6 Likes

Sports Illustrated not liking Ed Oliver. Wow what a surprise that SI doesn’t like someone from Houston.

1 Like

They’ve been dumping on Houston for years. I remember the Phi Slama Jama days, they grudgingly were the last magazine to recognize us. They always find some way to get in a cheap shot.

Literally, I have not bought a copy of that rag in 35 years.

In the 60’s SI had an article on Elvin Hayes and Don Chaney, et al which was racist at best. Basically making fun of the way they talked at the time.

1 Like

No, talent is talent. Bruce Smith played in Buffalo. If you are good enough, people will see it. The NFL is a star league, not to the level of the NBA, but they like to highlight the talent on the team. And with CBS having the AFC and Jim Nantz working at CBS, you don’t think that we won’t be hearing about star in the making Ed Oliver at Buffalo from the University of Houston?

https://uhcougars.com/images/2018/8/7/Sports_Illustrated_Cover_Oliver.jpg?width=1440&quality=80&format=jpg

1 Like

Uhhh … NOPE!!! …

Buffalo is at near the bottom of the rung … Gino Marchetti … Deacon Jones … Randy White … Merlin Olsen ALL would have individually disappeared into oblivion had they been playing for THE CURRENT … REPEAT CURRENT … bills …

AND according to some of our “expert” coogs on board not only was he misused but he wasn’t taught very well … so add to that that the bills have probably one of the worse DCs in the NFL … unless there is a handy dandy defensive text book Oliver can buy and teach himself from Barnes and Noble before the season starts …

Do you actually think a NFL staff won’t be miles better than Majors? Lol

2 Likes