2021 offers

we have 30,00 guards, and can easily pick up a guard if need be lol we have no bigs to legit size (6’9+)…and fabian will be the only big on next years roster with any major scoring capabilities …

aidoo is a legit shooter at 7’0… getting him would have been nice…but it doesnt have to be him, a big that can score would be a really big pickup…maybe in the likely crazy transfer market

3 Likes

You haven’t even seen Powell or Chaney played lol. Add Francis into the fray and we’ll be alright lol.

You don’t need to be 6’9+ as long as they’re strong to manned the middle (coach Bishop) and have a long wingspan which all three of them have for next year!

I have seen Powell and Chaney play

Chaney has been playing 2 years… there are 2 years worth of college film on him…

Powell has high school and aau film

So then you know Powell can shoot a bit and Chaney can score on power plays inside the lane

Chaney is basically a less athletic Gresham…
and with powell…skillset and scoring capability are different things…yes powell is capable of a mid range…but he also only averaged 14pts a game in high school games where he was 3-4 inches taller than everyone in most games…(context fabian white was doing like 23-27pts per in high school)

you cant expect large amounts of points from either (or francis, unless his game evolves his last year)…normally with d1 recruits, you bring in guys who are putting up crazy scoring stats in high school and hope for a fraction of that in d1 (not counting the elite circuit kids)…the 3 you listed have average scoring stats with crazy block numbers…

its not like we arent targetting any, we just arent landing any…for example we were heavily after 6’7 nick farrar last year who did like 30pts a game. we jus didnt land…or aidoo

2 Likes

We don’t need our inside players to be go to scorers. CKS likes to surround a big with four guards who can shoot and slash. We just need our big to defend, rebound & block shots. We’ve never had an inside player who can score 15+ under CKS. I’m sure he knows what’s he’s doing. We’ll be okay. In CKS I trust. Go Coogs

We’ve always had at least one big on our roster who is decent at scoring: Fabian White, Devin Davis, Devonta Pollard, Breaon Brady, Danrad Knowles. We don’t need them to average 15+ a game, but we do need them to be a threat without requiring others to create shots for them. This season is the first time probably since Sampson’s first season where there’s a huge question mark in terms of bigs with scoring skills.

2 Likes

But that wasn’t the original topic in discussion lol. @pesik was talking about us landing Aidoo, I’m liked we’ll be good for the foreseeable future at the 5 position to win. You said it perfectly, we don’t need a 15+ inside scorer. I’m sure the transfer Chaney is going to turn heads and coach Sampson says he fits in perfectly. Fabian White wasn’t that big of scorer and wasn’t a perimeter threat. We’ll be fine with Chaney & Gorham contributions to make another run :running_man: at the NCAA Tournament. We’re the favorites to win conference and are the class of the conference. We just need them to play to their strengths with putbacks and running towards the rim when the guards get double teamed. We’ll be okay.

If that is your idea of a legit big for our system then we have no one.
We are not hurting for what this teams needs.

What our fans seem to underestimate is gathering weapons on defense. Getting bigs who can switch and rebound are big reasons are why teams don’t score well against our D.

I think everyone expects us to continue to be an elite defensive team. Having offensive weaknesses does concern me, though. For instance, last season teams were able to take advantage of our early season shooting struggles by playing zone. Having weaknesses allows other teams to scheme around the weakness and exploit it. Will make the difference between us being a R32 team and us being a final four team.

We are as deep as I have seen at guard and have multiple players who can drop 20 any game.

I get wanting a big who can dominate inside sometimes it is better to have great workers than those with better skills, I am happy with who we have.

1 Like

Exactly! Never underestimate CKS @CoogLawyer he knows more than we do. Future hall of famer and all.

i like it the opposite way…becuase sampson teaches toughness…no offense to our guys we have a history of picking up “soft” skill guys and toughing them up over the course of their tenure here… armoni & rob as examples

and you are right that we can “win” with bigs that can’t score, if we are talking conference championships. but if we are talking national title that is a huge hole… sampson from his own words said not having a big with a big scoring presence hurt us in the BYU and Rice game last year becuase it opens up what teams can do against us. Teams can experiment at the 4/5 without fear of repercussion…byu and rice put 6’7/6’8 guards at the 4 and 5…in most cases a big that can score (breon or pollard) would have ate them up…but because our bigs werent scorerers there was no defensive down side…and our bigs struggled defending their “tall” guards… why go into seasons with holes that can be exploited

7 Likes

The more I see video glimpses of Jamal Shead, the more I believe he will end up becoming one of the best PGs in UH’s history. I now predict he will average 5 assists of the bench. We are loaded with guards! Also, Reggie Chaney is going to absolutely dominate the paint this season. We are going to the sweet 16!!! t-minus 1 month and 2 days until UH vs Texas Tech!!!

Reggie Chaney is our most talent post player in quite sometime. Can’t wait to see him play.

I’m just hoping that Chaney and the new guys can pick up the defensive rotations. Our scheme is pretty difficult to pick up and usually takes quite sometime for the new guys to get the rotations down and become efficient.

If Chaney can pick those up quickly, he’ll be devastating for us. The great thing about this year’s squad is that there is some strong veteran leadership that will mentor the new guys into the system.

Are you talking offensively or all around?

All around. He fits perfectly how coach wants to play. He’s tough but has talent.

https://twitter.com/J0nasAid00/status/1322569969973022722

5 Likes