AAC 2019/20

When I say polished I mean the variety of high level moves he uses to create a shot. Also we are comparing freshman Mills to Rob as a Jr which actually bodes well for Mills.

The NBA drafts off potential rather than what you are. Mills is basically the go to guy as a freshman when the team needs a bucket. I agree he needs improvement with his passing, athleticism, strength etc but he is an elite scorer already.

Nate is definitely a pro but the person that pops when you watch is Mills. Nate kinda is what he is he will just be more efficient as he gets older.

1 Like

All speculation, but I believe the team Rob played on needed his production. My guess is if Rob was on this team, he may not have averaged 20 points a game. This team has more talent across the roster than the team Rob played on as a Junior.

2 Likes

You said Mills is “already” more polished than Rob so I assumed you were comparing Rob as an upperclassmen vs. Caleb now since Rob wasn’t here as a freshman.

But the way Caleb scores as an undersized player with a bunch of tear drops and step back mid range shots with so-so efficiency doesn’t scream NBA right now. Smaller-ish guys in the league are usually some varying combination of elite passers, elite shooters, elite explosive athletes, elite ballhandlers, etc. You don’t see smaller-ish volume scorers all that often. I think there are ways he can get there and carve out a role but I don’t think the NBA will be breaking down his door to get him in the draft after next season.

That’s why I mentioned Nate. His combination of athleticism/defense/size/motor/rebounding ability/potential range does have an obvious translation to a potential 3 and D wing/small ball 4 role in the NBA, which there is a ton of demand for.

Sarkcoog, maybe that’s true but Rob was much more efficient too. If that was the case and Caleb really is an equivalent or better scorer right now than Rob was as an upperclassman you’d expect Caleb to be more efficient.

I’m just going agree to disagree. The NBA is getting smaller every year and the style of play is wide open. We just have a difference of opinion. I’m not saying Mills is a lottery pick but I think he would get picked if he progresses and gains weight for next year.

Rob’s issue was he lack of speed and explosion for a guard. Mills is more athletic than he is given credit for.

Temple is continuing their slide: 2 starters injured and out against SMU, including Moorman. SMU slicing through Temple, scoring at will.

1 Like

Yeah, they are getting smaller… now, they start all 6’ 7 “ guys !

2 Likes

Going to be interested to see what Temple looks like in a few years. They lose Rose after this year and they don’t have a stellar recruiting class coming in.

1 Like

I know Fran was a good coach, but I bet a more defensive-minded coach could have taken last years Temple team pretty far in March.
And yeah, they might not have another shot like that for awhile.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. Losing in the first 4 was a disappointment and a bad look for the AAC.

1 Like

Not saying anything about either players skill set. Just saying there are more weapons on this team than when Gray played his junior year.

SMU Temple ended up being a good game

73 - 71 SMU @ 3:21

2 Likes

Temple with a one point lead with the ball with about 55 seconds left.

Edit: 80-77 Temple with 22 seconds left. SMU ball. If they lose, huge collapse by SMU.

1 Like

Wow that would be a bad loss for SMU. They controlled most of the game. SMU has gotten production from the bench this game too.

Overtime.

Temple brainfarted and fouled on a three point shot with about 13 left. SMU made all three free throws.

Refs swallowing their whistles in ot. Allowing brass knuckles, folding chairs and whips.

3 Likes

Temple wins 97-90. Complete meltdown from SMU. They led by 17 at the half.

1 Like

Now that sounds familiar!

4 Likes

I’m not totally sure I agree with that, but if that was the case you’d expect Rob to be even more efficient on this team than he was with that one because this team would need him to do less and he could pick his spots with higher percentages shots.

Road games !!!

2 Likes

Yes this a crazy year. When the treys aren’t falling anyone can win anywhere. That said I expect a whale of a game tomorrow. WSU has their backs the wall and will be seeking revenge from our win earlier. Can’t wait to see these two get into the Fertitta ring!

1 Like

South Florida within 2 at Memphis with under 16 to go

Edit: USF up 9 with 7 1/2 left

1 Like